• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

support weapons on tanks, halftracks, etc.

the alpha video showed that you could support weapons on virtually any solid surface or structure. i'd imagine you could support a panzershreck etc.... on a vehicle, although come to think of it, i don't thing there were any panzershrecks or even panzerfuasts until 1944 which would be after the time period being played in stalingrad.

Upvote 0
the alpha video showed that you could support weapons on virtually any solid surface or structure.

They havent shown the ability to rest your weapon on any player or player controllable vehicle though.

On destroyed tank staticmeshed for instance in ro you can rest your weapon but on vehicles players can control you cannot.

Upvote 0
They havent shown the ability to rest your weapon on any player or player controllable vehicle though.

On destroyed tank staticmeshed for instance in ro you can rest your weapon but on vehicles players can control you cannot.

Well it kinda makes sense... afterall tanks that are being operated by other players are usually running their engines, which means vibrations, which means balancing your weapon on the vehicle for stability wouldn't be very practical in the first place and should be worse for aiming then just balancing it on your own.

Of course if the engine is turned off and just a guy in the MG or Turret, then I suppose it would make sense for allowing balancing on vehicles.

Upvote 0
The issue is not wether its realistic or not to do it, the question is how possible and optimized it is to implement that. Because if you use first person cover at a vehicle and it would drive away all sorts of issues and bugs could happen.

And tbh if the engine is running in neutral i don't think that the entire tank would shake around. Those things are heavy as **** and they got suspension as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The issue is not wether its realistic or not to do it, the question is how possible and optimized it is to implement that. Because if you use first person cover at a vehicle and it would drive away all sorts of issues and bugs could happen.

And tbh if the engine is running in neutral i don't think that the entire tank would shake around. Those things are heavy as **** and they got suspension as well.

Being realistic or not, does indeed matter.... if it's not realistic, then what's the point in wasting further time in trying to make it work?

Even if it is in neutral, if the engine is running, it doesn't matter how bouncy your suspension is or not.... the entire vehicle vibrates when the engine is running.

Go and put your hands on a running truck, a tractor, a bulldozer, a bus or something else that's big and perhaps has a diesel engine.... that is not moving but has the engine running and tell me you don't notice the vibrations?

Now try and picture yourself trying to aim your rifle on this vibrating surface and tell me you'd get an accurate shot off compared to balancing through a window or a hole in a brick wall.... or even just balancing on your knee or prone.

I actually tried this a number of years ago and depending on the distance you are from the engine or how much kick/power the engine has to it, the vibrations directly travel from the vehicle to your rifle and your sights as well.... thus making aiming with iron sights pretty difficult compared to other stationary objects. Being heavy or having suspension doesn't make a difference except when the tank is moving..... at which time you wouldn't be balancing on the tank in the first place.

Transport trucks have pretty good suspension as well as tires, not tracks.... yet put your hand on the hood or the side of the truck and tell me you don't feel any sort of vibration and then tell me that vibration wouldn't have an effect on your aiming.

In regards to coding it... I doubt it'd be anymore difficult then what happens when you walk away from a stationary object that you were using for balance.... the only difference is that it's reversed, where the object of balance is moving while you're stationary...... just remove the balance icon and abilities just as you would if you stood up or walked away.

If proximity to balance area is such n such.... then activate code for stabilization. If proximity is too great, then deactivate code.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure it would be nice to rest your weapon on vehicles, and have the appropriate movements when the engine is running. But the question is how much work is it to get something like that bugfree and working nicely. Some things are not always as easy as they might look to be.

The weight of the vehicle, and the connection to the ground does matter. As its the inertia of the moving parts of the engine against the vehicle. Especially as a t34 is a v12 i'd expect it to actualy run relatively stable. Especially if you would rest on something soft on top of the thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i actually though of this when i wanted to support my bazooka at a panzer 6, it engine was not running. no one was in the driver seat. it was actually not moving an inch.

o oo00ooOO00oo i just came up with something. as you know you can use objects as cover in RO. HOS, i would totally love if a could use a tank as cover and blind fire over the panzer. I all ready use tank as cover but this would be even better. note never stand behind tank or infont of it, even when it

Upvote 0