• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
dx 10 was a pathetic flop compared to what dx11 is. dx11 is the end of the llod model, dx11 has variable llods which scale by distance, so there will be no more seeing the detail model switch back and forth as you take a step forward and backwards at distance x from object y. that alone made my jaw drop when i heard that 2 years ago ( and that it was going to be in dx11).

On the graphical side of a game, because you cannot deny it graphics do sell, having a game that is dx11, or uses some dx11 features would be very handy. hell even if it really dosent even properly use dx11, the ability to say that it uses dx11 will attract more customers ( even if they wont stick around for the long run, they pay dont they?). then over time the game could be patched to use more dx11 features, lets not forget twi's habbit of supporting a game for ~1 year after its release...

(unless of course ut3 cannot utilize dx11...)

Upvote 0
half have a dx10 card on a dx10 system. But 27% beside that have a dx10 card with windows xp.

Basically that will shift more heavily in the future with more people adopting to windows 7. So 3/4th of the people already have a dx10 gpu.

DX11 is really small now and it will take probably 2 years or more for dx11 really to capture into most people. But in 3 years from now ill probably still play ro, so having great graphics at the start allows for the game to grow and age nicely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
any news on the renderer being used for RO2?

reading Yoshiros post on the first page of this thread i would guess they are going for a DX11 renderer with different feature levels for DX11, DX10 and DX9 hardware, but aren't allowed to talk about it yet until Epic Games officially announces Unreal Engine 3 with DirectX 11 support.

btw, sorry for bumping this up, but this is still of interest and this question is not yet covered in "The RO: HoS Fact Thread".

Upvote 0
They should dump that proprietary PhysX crap and move to something more futureproof and open-source or at least multi-platform.

PhysX, it works, and its there to be used.
DX11 is nice.
When I play Stalker in DX11, its nice.
Same Dirt2, its nice.

PhysX no longer needs a dedicated card to work, it works like a charm on a modern GPU.
It was implemented in some AMD GPU's but I think its been blocked for the moment.

Go West young man.

Upvote 0
Here's an interview with Dan Baker, a developer who is part of the devteam of the recently released Civilization 5.
He's talking about the advantages Dx 11 has over Dx 9 in their case (up to 30% performance increase, among other things). interesting read:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...h-Interview-What-DirectX-11-is-good-for/News/[url]http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,776086/Civilization-5-Tech-Interview-What-DirectX-11-is-good-for/News/[/URL]

I'm really looking forward to see what TWI is able to do with it if they are using it (I really hope they do^^).

Upvote 0