• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Simple nerf for sharpie

ScarFace

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2009
Everyone knows that the sharpie is way over powered. I think the follow nerf could go a long way in balancing him out.

If you miss a zeds head and get a body shot instead of head shot it will stun most of the enemies. Also if you head shot the scrake with the LAR it will stun him too. This a huge problem. You can stun a few charging enemies deal with other ones...then drop the stunned enemy. At the very least, I think the sharpies stunning ability should be taken away.

1 bullet shouldn't stop a husk from firing, a gorefast from charging or a scrake from moving forward either. Plus it looks so stupid they just stand there and wobble. Long story short what I'm saying is that currently not only can the sharpie KILL everything..he can also stun zombies thus giving him more time to wipe out the other enemies then deal with the stunned ones. I think removing the stun ability would dimish his god like abilities at least somewhat.

**I use the LAR/M14 combo rather than the xbow, so I see alot more of the stuns than an xbow sharpie.

Last edited:
tbh I think that does serve a good degree of tactics being able to stun a enemy then finish him off. I think my main issues with the sharpie are his insane damage and his insane amount of ammo.

Removal of the 9mm and Deagle from the perk (Adding the Pistoleer) and drastically reducing his M14 ammo would balance the perk alot more. Also I think the M14 should be made heavier and the LAR and Crossbow be made lighter so that a player can take LAR and Crossbow or LAR and M14 alot like the commando. Crossbow should only be able to penetrate maybe 2 or 3 foes tho or have a drastic reduction in damage each penetration.

The means the Sharpshooter would evolve into a powerful target spiker, but fare poorly wiping out hordes, as it is supposed to. The choice would be whether or not to take the M14 or the Crossbow for versatility or raw damage.

Each to their own of course, but I would reckon thats my preferred way of nerfing them :)

Upvote 0
I agree that the SS is too good with the handgun bonus and would be too nerfed without it, unless the LAR could be carried with the xbow. Take away pistol bonus and give to new Gunslinger perk, adjust the SS weights like this:

LAR = 5 (-1)
xbow = 9 (-1)
M14 = 6 (+1)

Increasing the M14 weight would prevent the game-breaking M14/xbow combo while allowing the LAR to be used with either. Since when does a battle rifle weigh less than an assault rifle anyway? (AK-47 = 9.5 lbs, M14 EBR = 12 lbs w/o scope).

Another solution is to swap the laser sight from the M14 to the LAR, and/or cut M14 ammo supply in half.
---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here comes another giant "what I think we should do to nerf SS" thread.

IMO it may sound stupid, but I seriously think we should just wait it out. We've given pages and pages of input and I don't really think we should add to it. We've already gone over just about every conceivable change. It's just a matter of what will happen now. Could be nothing, could be something, we just gotta wait.

Upvote 0

IMO it may sound stupid, but I seriously think we should just wait it out. We've given pages and pages of input and I don't really think we should add to it. We've already gone over just about every conceivable change. It's just a matter of what will happen now. Could be nothing, could be something, we just gotta wait.

+1

I've only been reading the forums for 2 or 3 months, but I have seem at least 6 threads for the SS, and another 12 that have digressed into SS

Upvote 0

Realizing that there were tons of those threads dealing with the sharpie, that is why I wanted to discuss one portion of the sharpies powers - his stunning ability and why it should be removed. I didn't want to go into weight, ammo capacity, head shot damage, pistol power etc etc. I think only 2 people actually discussed the issue at hand "his abiliity to stun zeds".

Upvote 0
hey, i am pro SS. it may be overpowered (9mm, HC, M14ERB), but i do like that I can be useful on a team since I'm past my FPS prime. I was good on quake, but now i'm playing for fun and still want to be vital even if i'm not as fast on reaction time, or click speed as I was a decade ago.

But after playing with 2 M14 spammer that locked the door behing them so they could have their kill compitiation and talked over the voice chat about hoping everyone else died cause they were taking too many kills (the level 5 firebug had as many kills as both of them combined, lol), I know why every wants the nerf

Upvote 0
Yea, good idea. Any topics more about this will result in idiotic flamewars by pro-sharpshooters revolting against clear facts.

As far as I've seen the need to nerf SS is universally accepted, I can only think of maybe 1 or 2 pro-SS posts ever. Surprised it hasn't been fixed already.

As for stun, I'm fine with it, stopping that wouldn't be as good a nerf as the other suggestions.

@ Scarface, I think it should require lvl 6 SS to one-shot FP on Suicidal, lvl 4 on Hard, and lvl 3 to one-shot scrake on Hard. Right now anyone can one-shot scrake on hard 6-man, not cool. Lower xbow headshot multiplier.
---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for stun, I'm fine with it, stopping that wouldn't be as good a nerf as the other suggestions.

@ Scarface, I think it should require lvl 6 SS to one-shot FP on Suicidal, lvl 4 on Hard, and lvl 3 to one-shot scrake on Hard. Right now anyone can one-shot scrake on hard 6-man, not cool. Lower xbow headshot multiplier.
---

I brought up removing the stun feature as I thought it would be the easiest to do without having to rework all the numbers etc. As in if they were going to do nothing because they aren't dumping any more time in removing the stun would be easy to do.

I personally don't think ANY level should be able to one shot the strongest NON-boss enemy in the game. One shotting the baddest of the bad is the definition of over powered.

Upvote 0
I agree that the SS is too good with the handgun bonus and would be too nerfed without it, unless the LAR could be carried with the xbow. Take away pistol bonus and give to new Gunslinger perk, adjust the SS weights like this:

LAR = 5 (-1)
xbow = 9 (-1)
M14 = 6 (+1)

Increasing the M14 weight would prevent the game-breaking M14/xbow combo while allowing the LAR to be used with either. Since when does a battle rifle weigh less than an assault rifle anyway? (AK-47 = 9.5 lbs, M14 EBR = 12 lbs w/o scope).

Another solution is to swap the laser sight from the M14 to the LAR, and/or cut M14 ammo supply in half.
---

When has it ever been possible to carry the Crossbow and the M14 together on anything other than a Support?

Upvote 0
It hasn't, I was talking about a way to lower xbow and LAR weights so they can both be used while raising M14 weight (in order to prevent the M14/xbow combo that would otherwise result).

And when I saw this in the other thread I agreed. If the Pistoleer was added and the pistols taken off the Sharpie, it would leave the Sharpie with just a Crossbow, which owuld be worse than Firebug ammo. :D

As Rob said, dropping both by a weight of 1 would allow you to take Xbow and LAR (Which lets face it is pretty much wasting ammo if it isn't a headshot), and increasing the M14 would still prevent the game breaking M14/Crossbow combiantnion. Dropping the M14 ammuntion by 1/2 as well would solve the M14 body spammer problem and make the perk all about headshots, which is pretty much our goal. :)

Upvote 0
It sounds like your saying the LAR isn't powerful? Shot for shot its more powerful than the m14 AND it stuns husks in one shot whereas the m14 won't at all.

True but i'm pretty sure 5 bullets from the M14 does more damage than 1 LAR shot in the same time span. ;)

Nah my main point was that the limited ammo on the Crossbow and LAR would make headshots mandatory, otherwise its unneccesary wasting of ammo. (Not sure cause I dont play sharpie much but doesn't it take a headshot to 1 pop a gorefast with teh LAR ?). The Lar can't fire very rapidly so if you miss the headshot and you still have your foe boring down on you (gorefast) Or setting you on fire (husk), you will still be in a very tight spot :)

The alternative is to use the LAR for picking off targets between using the m14 for clusters and big enemies. The whole stun a Husk thing gives you the choice of using the LAR to pick off the Husk safely or trying to eliminate it fast with the M14 if there is an incoming group.

That being said I do think a body shot on a gorefast should do naff all with the LAR to be fair.

My suggestion is keeping the Sharpshooter a very effective headshot monster... but force him to be conservative at the same time. It he burns through his ammo with the M14 he all of a sudden has only a LAR to deal with FP's and Scrakes. I personally dont favour those odds :p

Upvote 0
True but i'm pretty sure 5 bullets from the M14 does more damage than 1 LAR shot in the same time span. ;)

Nah my main point was that the limited ammo on the Crossbow and LAR would make headshots mandatory, otherwise its unneccesary wasting of ammo. (Not sure cause I dont play sharpie much but doesn't it take a headshot to 1 pop a gorefast with teh LAR ?). The Lar can't fire very rapidly so if you miss the headshot and you still have your foe boring down on you (gorefast) Or setting you on fire (husk), you will still be in a very tight spot :)

The alternative is to use the LAR for picking off targets between using the m14 for clusters and big enemies. The whole stun a Husk thing gives you the choice of using the LAR to pick off the Husk safely or trying to eliminate it fast with the M14 if there is an incoming group.

That being said I do think a body shot on a gorefast should do naff all with the LAR to be fair.

My suggestion is keeping the Sharpshooter a very effective headshot monster... but force him to be conservative at the same time. It he burns through his ammo with the M14 he all of a sudden has only a LAR to deal with FP's and Scrakes. I personally dont favour those odds :p

Actually 1 shot anywhere with the LAR on a husk or a gorefast will stun it immediately. They stand there and wobble around....so the 2nd shot should be a guaranteed head shot. With the m14...if you miss the head shot they both keep coming.

Lar vs. scrake = I like those odds. If you get one head shot it will stun him in his tracks (something the m14 will NOT do). And I know for a fact 3 head shots with the LAR on hard/6 ppl will kill a scrake.

Lar vs FP = yea...not as good of odds there...the m14's spamming ability really helps.

Upvote 0