• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blind fire and free aim comments...

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
I have a few small suggestions/comments.

The first is about blind firing. To me, it seems like you can snap in and out of blind fire a bit too quickly.

The next is about the free aim (not in iron sights). Looks a little bit too much to me. Obviously in real life you can swing your weapon around like that, but I think it should be a bit less like in RO OST. I think it might make the turning movement a bit less responsive and become clunky like ArmA. Or maybe having not played the game in over a week, I already forgot what free aim was like in OST. :p

Lastly, I think the gun wiggles/bobs around a bit too much when walking. I am talking about the MP40 at the beginning when not in iron sights.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONG4PKMDfws&feature=rec-fresh+div-r-8-HM]YouTube - Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Gameplay Walkthrough[/URL]

The first is about blind firing. To me, it seems like you can snap in and out of blind fire a bit too quickly.
-True, but you cant see where/what your shooting at, just a general direction. But I agree partly, maybe its a bit to quick in and out.

The next is about the free aim (not in iron sights). Looks a little bit too much to me. Obviously in real life you can swing your weapon around like that, but I think it should be a bit less
-Why less if its possible in real life?

Lastly, I think the gun wiggles/bobs around a bit too much when walking. I am talking about the MP40 at the beginning when not in iron sights.
-That is realistic, sadly to be even more so, it doesnt wobble/shake enough yet even. These guns dont float before you, they are held in your hands, and as you run, your hands and the weapon move. Hell, at least in RO you hold your weapon ready to fire when you run.

Upvote 0
About the gun wobbling:

Think of it this way: In order to feel like that the player is actually in the world, there has to be some visual hints about this. One of them is gun wobbling when you move. The other one is your whole view wobbling. But as you can see, the view doesn't shake that much when you move, instead the gun moves. Imo this is good because some people can get motion sick if the view shakes around too much.

Upvote 0
-True, but you cant see where/what your shooting at, just a general direction. But I agree partly, maybe its a bit to quick in and out.

This is what I was referring to. It does look a bit quick. If you pull it in and out that quick, I'd imagine you'd hit the weapon against the surface or snag it against something.

I've been thinking of two videos I saw. One was US soldiers in Vietnam lifting their M16s over a wall, and they did it a bit slower. The other is of Afghan soldiers holding AKs over their heads sideways firing over rocks with the Canadian Army (no, the Canadians didn't blind fire).

Not sure if I could find them though.

-Why less if its possible in real life?

Just because it is possible in real life doesn't mean it is logical, or good in game. ;)

In real life I can shoot my rifle side ways like a moron. Doesn't mean it should be in game.

-That is realistic, sadly to be even more so, it doesnt wobble/shake enough yet even. These guns dont float before you, they are held in your hands, and as you run, your hands and the weapon move. Hell, at least in RO you hold your weapon ready to fire when you run.

I'd disagree. At least not in the "rounded motion". It should be more "jittery" rather than "wobbly".

I'll have to look up some videos though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no, i think he means that in blind firing mode you seem to be snapped to a horizontal axis. it looks like you could only move your aim from left to right and not up and down. this would make spraying a certain area (as long as it's on your level) much easier (but what do we know, we didnt even test it, yet)

Upvote 0
Freeaim was fine in RO imo. Maybe they could add a little bit more of it; make hipshooting and Rambo'ing a little bit less effective.

As for the blind firing, I agree. Looks a bit robotic. A very small delay would be nice, but not too much, you still wanna be able to make a shot very quickly. But then again, I think it looks very good already.

EDIT: what does bother me a bit though, is the stock on the MP40. Why is it folded? That just decreases accuracy, and probably adds more recoil. Maybe in a vehicle or in really cramped areas you would fold the stock, but other than that the stock should be unfolded imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Freeaim was fine in RO imo. Maybe they could add a little bit more of it; make hipshooting and Rambo'ing a little bit less effective.

I think it was fine in RO. One of the things that was done very well.

As for the blind firing, I agree. Looks a bit robotic. A very small delay would be nice, but not too much, you still wanna be able to make a shot very quickly. But then again, I think it looks very good already.

I agree with longer delay. Right now, you can snap into blind fire quicker than you can bring up your pistol sights in RO OST. Making it slower will also prevent it from being over used, which can be a problem if it is so quick to enable.

EDIT: what does bother me a bit though, is the stock on the MP40. Why is it folded? That just decreases accuracy, and probably adds more recoil. Maybe in a vehicle or in really cramped areas you would fold the stock, but other than that the stock should be unfolded imo.

Brought up many times before, but the stock should be open.

Reply in bold.

Upvote 0
Blind fire is effective inside buildings and were used, especially as suppressive fire.
You can start to shot blind fire, when turn your body to correct your aim and continue aimed fire.
Actually any of fire possibilities were used.
Push your weapon through small hole in a wall and blind fire inside a room.
Fix your weapon, aimed to a door and use a rope to pull the trigger.
Developers decided to implement most common method of alternative to aimed fire method. Lets wait to see how it works in the game.

Upvote 0
yu gotta keep in mind, that the first goal of some soldier firing his weapon is not necessarily to kill an opponent. keeping their heads down to enable the rest of your squad to get into a better (or safer) position is also something that a firearm gives you the possibility to do. it is a valid "tactic" and i think representing it in the new RO is justified. i dont believe it has to have to do with poor training of (soviet) soldiers, as mentioned two posts above.

i somewhere read, that a major percentage of U.S. soldiers in WWII (i guess this applied to all other forces, too, but the research was done on G.I.'s) didn't shoot to kill.

Upvote 0
Blind fire is effective inside buildings and were used, especially as suppressive fire.
You can start to shot blind fire, when turn your body to correct your aim and continue aimed fire.
Actually any of fire possibilities were used.
Push your weapon through small hole in a wall and blind fire inside a room.
Fix your weapon, aimed to a door and use a rope to pull the trigger.
Developers decided to implement most common method of alternative to aimed fire method. Lets wait to see how it works in the game.
And what experince are you speaking off of?

Upvote 0
I think blind firing reaks of inexperince and lack of skill, but I guess Russian soldiers were not the best trained back then. It would be very ridiclous if you could blind fire with a rifle or a light machine gun.

Depends. For example, you can mount the MG-42 on some rubble, and duck below it while holding the trigger. However, with the recoil, it might fly back and off the rubble due to the insane rate of fire.

And with the recoil of the Mosins, especially the carbine, it would be stupid to blind fire.

IMO, it should be left to SMGs and maybe pistols.

But this is a good observation. Blind firing with certian weapons would be pretty hard.

yu gotta keep in mind, that the first goal of some soldier firing his weapon is not necessarily to kill an opponent. keeping their heads down to enable the rest of your squad to get into a better (or safer) position is also something that a firearm gives you the possibility to do. it is a valid "tactic" and i think representing it in the new RO is justified. i dont believe it has to have to do with poor training of (soviet) soldiers, as mentioned two posts above.

i somewhere read, that a major percentage of U.S. soldiers in WWII (i guess this applied to all other forces, too, but the research was done on G.I.'s) didn't shoot to kill.

Yes, you do shoot to kill. Just because you are shooting at them when they are concealed or behind cover doesn't mean you aren't trying to kill them.

And yes, we do use suppressive fire. But that is very different from blind fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0