• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thank you so much Devs

Imo RO2 can't fail. I've seen the presentation, all the gameplay mechanics looks like what we wanted in RO1. Bullet penetration, the new MG system. So if it's just RO1 with those mechanics, I'm happy. But ofcourse it will look better and also have SP. So win win in my book.

But ofcourse I'm incredibly biased, since i'm following this game since it was a mod for UT2003 :p

Upvote 0
Imo RO2 can't fail. I've seen the presentation, all the gameplay mechanics looks like what we wanted in RO1. Bullet penetration, the new MG system. So if it's just RO1 with those mechanics, I'm happy. But ofcourse it will look better and also have SP. So win win in my book.

But ofcourse I'm incredibly biased, since i'm following this game since it was a mod for UT2003 :p

It could fail in several things. Just to name some:

The 1st person camera problem. I still feel in some occasions that it's not the model's eyes I'm looking through. That's bad, particularly when you believe yourself hidden and instead the enemy can see your entire head. :mad:

The "Leaning" animation. I've tested this myself with some friends. We fired a Kar98k 7.92x57 in these stances shown in RO. The result was first that we missed the target yet on a distance of 30 meters and the second was that this stance has you badly out of balance, therefore each one of us was punched to the ground. Our conclusion is that it doesn't work that way.
The way it works is that you lean yourself only a little, maybe 10

Upvote 0
which is exactly why i love that there will be 2 realism modes. I expected the game to be made easier in many ways and for the most part that is somewhat inevitable as TWI remains a company.

However when you have a different base mode you will still find more of the hardcore modes than if every server needed to tweak a lot.

Sure most servers will always be the more mainstream, but a seperate extra realism allows for the game to be more realistic in there than the current ro (especially with helping notifications etc).

For now for me myself my biggest fear is linearity and lack of freedom in the maps. But well see how that will turn out. ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It could fail in several things.

my strongest worry is that the game will be almost 'dumb-down' to encourage an easier learning curve for the sake of new players. i know they are trying to widen a community but i hope its not at the cost of depth and challenging controls, gameplay Etc. it sorta makes the experience mean more when you get good at it. unlike twitch/reactional muscle memory that most people get from playing games like cod, halo, and css. Which i have no problem with so im not trying to troll these titles or anything... i just feel that my biggest appeal that i have with RO is that its challenging game to just pick up and play.

if anything i hope it gets harder to play
thats my biggest worry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
who the hell started saying everything is "fail" on the internet?

Ehm I mentioned these "cosmetic things" as they are a part of "One of our big goals for Heroes of Stalingrad is to make the most realistic feeling for a WII first person shooter!"

When playing the very first thing we will see is the way our comrades move, then how our character moves, particularly when there's a Full Body in 1st person. The chest camera is a real mess it needs to be removed. The leaning thingy is also not really a cosmetic thing as we're talking about a realism shooter and if there's something so wrong in it, how can you tell this cosmetic?

And to mention some good things:

The series continues and becomes better again.
We got a new engine making everything look more plastic and more real.
The new RO will get a campaign mode and far better AI!
The RO Community will be enlargered!
The relaxed and the real realism switch feature. A chance for newcomers to get into the game and for the veterans of the UT2k3/4 days who yet thought this isn't tough enough can go for even harder gaming

And still, I'm looking forward to this game :)

Upvote 0
If you had asked me in 2003 that this little known mod I had downloaded would be on its second retail game on the UE3(!) engine, I probably would have laughed and called you a lunatic. But I am very proud of the dev team and everyone involved with how far they've gone. As far as im concerned, Tripwire deserves every dollar I give them for their products. :D

Upvote 0
If you had asked me in 2003 that this little known mod I had downloaded would be on its second retail game on the UE3(!) engine, I probably would have laughed and called you a lunatic. But I am very proud of the dev team and everyone involved with how far they've gone. As far as im concerned, Tripwire deserves every dollar I give them for their products. :D

Don't get me wrong. I really appreciate the work of TWI. They've brought me some hundred hours of fun for free with the UT2k3/4 modification. I looked forward to RO Ostfront like most of the community did. Now after I checked up with real life acting if several things are true and displayed correctly in Ostfront, I discovered there are some things not quite right. So I mention(ed) them here in the belief and hope that TWI will adjust them, that's all. :)

Upvote 0
Well the difference will be the engine in general. So all the things mentioned as cosmetic are engine related. I'm not sure how the UE3 engine as far as representation, but I'm sure it's miles ahead of 2.5.

Leaps and bounds have been made with the engines so I think what we'll see is what we've all come to know and love, of course with better graphic representation, plus a lot of other great features (Destructible environments).

Just play Gears of War and GOW 2 and you'll see the kinds of things that can be done and take that game and turn it into RO and you pretty much have what RO2 can become.

I think we are going to be really surprised. Fail? I doubt it.

I do have some worries about what some have mentioned about being dumbed down to bring a larger audience. The realism/accuracy is the reason I loved this from the mod days till now. What I mean by realism/accuracy isn't what is represented by a map or an era or uniforms etc. I mean the HIT DETECTION could not be any more spot on as a rifleman, you have to lead a running target, you have to use your iron site accurately and when dead on, you are DEAD ON...

Upvote 0
The realism/accuracy is the reason I loved this from the mod days till now. What I mean by realism/accuracy isn't what is represented by a map or an era or uniforms etc. I mean the HIT DETECTION could not be any more spot on as a rifleman, you have to lead a running target, you have to use your iron site accurately and when dead on, you are DEAD ON...

"Exactly my reason for playing this game is also hit detection",,the bullet goes where ur IS is aimed,,the ballistics modeled into the game is as u say Clown are spot on,,,
I studied ballistics in the military(small arms n large guns),,qualifyfied yearly as marksmen,,

I am still amazed at some of the shots I and others make in RO,,at ceratin ranges with the right lead n ping,,,

2 other reasons why i am going to get RO2,,is because of the devotion the Dev's have concerning this game,,and the RO vets(community)

cheers all,,,,,,,:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
upright sights shooting is correct in RO. The leaned shooting isn't correct. If you angle your sights like that you miss, I've tested this myself. Beside you are missing the target. The stance has you out of balance you'll have a date with the ground and you're luckly if your shoulder is still functional. I've tried firing with this kind of leaning and I made a flight backwards and hit the ground. Very unhealthy. ;)

That's why I wish this changed for HoS.

Upvote 0