• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-MountainPass_Beta3

[TW]DrGuppy

Tripwire Interactive Staff
Nov 22, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
KF-MountainPass_Beta3
----------------------------------------
Download [FileFront]

Author: Kevin 'DrGuppy' Butt
Email: [email protected]
Filename: KF-MountainPass_Beta3
Release Date: November 16th, 2009.
Map Size: 10MB compressed / 36MB uncompressed

Installation
Simply unzip and place the .rom file in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\Maps

Breif Description
Earlier this morning a call came in from dispatch notifying us that a top Horzine scientist was being pursued by police somewhere in the northern mountains. Then all went silent. Command deemed it necessary to fly in and investigate, despite the early morning fog and our pilot's objections. Looks like he was right, our chopper went down in the forest near the highway. So now we're stranded, our pilot is dead, we've got no backup, and there's no way that howling sound is just the wind.

All content created by Tripwire Interactive and myself. Some textures have been heavily edited from CGTextures.com.

As always, you are free to use all of my custom content for your Killing Floor maps. A small mention in your map thread or readme would be nice but is not required.

If you have questions or comments please don't hesitate to contact me via email.

[email protected]

Beta3 Changelog

+ Added more Zombie Volumes.
* Fixed an issue where specimens would not attack a certain door.
+ Added more detail to the map.
* Moved / added / deleted numerous static meshes for performance and gameplay reasons.
* Tweaked the overall lighting a little.
* Tweaked numerous cull distances to prevent popping or help optimization.
* Fixed some shadows that were not appearing properly.
* Changed the values on several Zombie Volumes to increase the pressure on players in certain areas.
* Finalized the Lorry texture.
- Reduced the overall file size slightly.

This will hopefully be the last version before the map goes final.
If you would like to see any changes made to the map please let me know. I hope everyone enjoys the map and here's a little teaser for the next one I'm working on. :cool:

Teaser.jpg

Screenshots

Attachments

• MountainPass_Beta3_S1.jpg
    MountainPass_Beta3_S1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MountainPass_Beta3_S2.jpg
    MountainPass_Beta3_S2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • MountainPass_Beta3_S3.jpg
    MountainPass_Beta3_S3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • MountainPass_Beta3_S4.jpg
    MountainPass_Beta3_S4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
Hey,
So I had a six player match on this map, and I have some feedback for you. I think this map has a lot going for it, Its layout is nice enough and visually its very nice (perhaps the lighting could do with a little more contrast). One thing though, we found the gameplay very boring, zeds were spawning far to away and it made gameplay very slow. The only area with nice gameplay was the middle area. Anyway I've compiled a list of things you should do and attached a few images for direction in major area's.

1.) Reduce zombie spawn distance, they are all spawn VERY far away and so this slow gameplay down drasticly.
2.) Your wave spawn period is far to low, this is forcing zombies to spawn in a shorter period of time and causing zombies to also spawn further away. Try 1.2 - 1.5.
3.) Have more spawns behind where players normally camp, such as on cliff tops and on the road side facing the map edge, and also closer to the players. This is very important.
4.) Better pathing on cliff edges, I noticed in some area's you are using pathnodes on cliff edges, this sometimes works but often not, you need to use jump spots as usual.

Red - Zombie Spawns
Yellow - Paths

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. Judging from the screenshots you posted, this was Beta2 and not Beta3.

However, I will be looking at the zombie spawns again for the next (possibly final) version. I have tried raising the WaveSpawnPeriod value up to what you suggested but the specimens do not spawn fast enough to overwhelm the players. The logic behind such a low number is that a constant unending stream of fast-spawning specimens will overwhelm the players and force them to move. When I raise this number they simply spawn too slowly to have any real impact on players.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that players can also use the jump pads so they're not suitable for areas within the play area (such as the central cliffs in the map).

Upvote 0
You are correct, I was using Beta 2, you should update the Killing Floor ModDB profile with the latest version of the map.

If you want to overwhelm the player, you definetly need more spawns, because once a few specimens have spawned in a volume that volume is disabled for a certain amount of time, mean then your zombies are spawning further away from the player and thus meaning you are not overwhelming the player.

I said jumpspots not jumppads. Jump spots are just navigation nodes telling the AI to jump down/ up. They have no actual effect on the physics of either player or zombie.

Upvote 0
Here's an area where zombies struggle to walk along. If you are standing in the pathway zombies just jump all over the place and you can easily slaughter them in their confusion.

path.jpg

I'd like to suggest that you turn down the brightness of the lights in the tunnels. The cars have strong lights but thats ok, the tunnels however and insanely strong and I find that no matter what kind of situation I'm in I will avoid the tunnels at all cost. It's ok to have lights in there but they even overpower the daylight.

Upvote 0