• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reduce all perk requirements by 25%+

gusone

Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2009
Sidcup
steamcommunity.com
This will get the purists ranting. However it's a classic game mid life cycle update. We're seeing really low level perk people joining others who have level 6 in most perks. It is all rather unbalanced. So how about giving those new folk a hand up and reducing the perk requirements by 25%-33%. We want them all to get to level 5+ as soon as they can so they can spawn with guns have even more fun and increase the difficulty. This also motivates the new people because the level 5 is not so far away. Of course people will say "Hey I did it in a day". Well grats to you but I play this game every night and I still only have two level 5 perks - that's what happens when you play for fun or on maps not even whitelisted. Not everyoneis a grinder or wants to spend a weekend of Doom2 or happyhour. WoW accelerated the xp and there is evidence that it works. And if more content is coming and new people joining lets shrink the enormous gulf between long time players and the new folk. Everyone will enjoy playing together more on public servers. Afterall it's not a lot of fun using a Lever Action rifle for most waves when to see Level 6 Commandos buying SCARs in wave 2.

nah, would rather see serverside options to not allow low players into servers on difficult levels and likewise high players into low difficulty servers.

level6 commando with SCAR should not be playing on the same server with a level2 sharpshooter in the first place.......thus one of the major causes of kids currently screaming "M14 Sharpie haz ruined da game!"

imagine if 25% less headshots for say, SS to reach level6? that would lead to even more players scrambling to level up whatever is considered the current "god-perk"...happened with the katana and the zerker, happened with the 9mm headshots and SS.....i'd rather not see it happen again.

Upvote 0
I personally play a decent amount (at least 300+ hours) and still have not gotten mr perky. I'd rather not see it lower requirements for a different reason. If everyone maxed perks then there would be a very large number that would ask for additional perk levels to reach. If anything just remove perk levels entirely and give everyone max perks before decreasing the time it takes to level like this.

Upvote 0
I have played 275 hours to date and got Mr Perky like 4 days ago. One thing I think that helped was when I first got the game I used to play medic, back when all he had was that syringe. Headshots became mandatory, and getting good with what weapons work against what as well was an absolute necessity. I pretty much had my sharpshooter perk up keeping up with my medic perk cause back then the handcannon was a good, cheap headshot weapon. I also found my damage resistance used allow me to charge in with an axe/katana to help berserkers whittle the groups while they attack scrakes.

Now I think its harder because their are alot more weapons for people to use so they can only really level up 1 perk at a time efficiently. I wouldn't say drop the perks is a good idea, but making it so you can see the damage you are up to with a little more detail than 3.5 million damage would help alot. Even if it was just 3.53 at least we could see ourselves going up alot more frequently and make it less of a grind.

Upvote 0
This will get the purists ranting. However it's a classic game mid life cycle update. We're seeing really low level perk people joining others who have level 6 in most perks. It is all rather unbalanced. So how about giving those new folk a hand up and reducing the perk requirements by 25%-33%. We want them all to get to level 5+ as soon as they can so they can spawn with guns have even more fun and increase the difficulty. This also motivates the new people because the level 5 is not so far away. Of course people will say "Hey I did it in a day". Well grats to you but I play this game every night and I still only have two level 5 perks - that's what happens when you play for fun or on maps not even whitelisted. Not everyoneis a grinder or wants to spend a weekend of Doom2 or happyhour. WoW accelerated the xp and there is evidence that it works. And if more content is coming and new people joining lets shrink the enormous gulf between long time players and the new folk. Everyone will enjoy playing together more on public servers. Afterall it's not a lot of fun using a Lever Action rifle for most waves when to see Level 6 Commandos buying SCARs in wave 2.

NO i prefer the contrary, more zeds health, its too difficult to do 3.5M after this ^^

Upvote 0
I fully support this idea. World of Warcrack has gradually reduced requirements in many ways.

When new expansions come out, the experience requirements for the lower levels are reduced, thereby allowing people to get to the new content faster.

They occasionally do things like reduce quest requirements, make older quests easier, or reduce prices of items (like the mount price and level requirement reductions). This helps make the game easier for newer players.

It still takes a few solid weeks of dedicated play to get a Perk up to 6; I don't think reducing the requirements would terribly hurt the game much.

Another option in a similar vein is to change the scale of the requirements so its easier to get the first four levels. This would still give Level 5 and 6 the amount of prestige they deserve as well as make it worth it to get to those for the nice benefits. For example, here's the Berserker Perk's requirements now:

Code:
Level 1: 25,000 damage
Level 2: 100,000
Level 3: 500,000
Level 4: 1,500,000
Level 5: 3,500,000
Level 6: 5,500,000
And how it could be adjusted:

Code:
Level 1: 20,000 damage
Level 2: 80,000
Level 3: 400,000
Level 4: 1,125,000
Level 5: 3,500,000
Level 6: 5,500,000

Upvote 0
all my perks are at 6 except for medic which is at 5. it took me approx. 300 hours of gameplay over 8 months to get to that. that's about 30 weeks at about an average of 10 hours of play per week, which i'd consider around average for a dedicated player....plus there were reductions in previous updates like stalker kills for example. for that timeframe, i don't think it's too demanding of players. think about it, you lower all the requirements and that reduces the amount of time that players would have to dedicate to playing the game. i'd rather see people sticking around for a longer period of time to have the satisfaction of earning their levels.

again the issue isnt the leveling itself. the issue is that you're allowing potential mixes of level6s and level0s. if your new, low-level players were seperated from the veteran, top-level playes, you'd not have any issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Uh.. No. Please don't. I wouldn't call myself a purist, but i for one really appreciate the amount of time it takes to level kf perks. The medic requirement is a bit high, as is the stalker requirement for commando, but I'm now level 6 in both perks. I finished borderlands a few days ago, and you level so damn fast, you can't even keep up with all your new upgrades. I didn't feel nearly the accomplishment in borderlands from gaining level 50 as i did from killing that last damn stalker in killing floor.

However, I'm sure someone must have come up with this before, but I have not seen it: Allow us to select previous levels in our perks at the perk selection screen. This would allow people to play with newbie friends without being overpowered compared to them and give 'purists' even more challenge by letting them play highest difficulties as lower levels when they want to. I hate to ask TWI for even more free stuff, but I think its a good idea that would solve this problem way better than making the perks easier to gain. I'm open to comments.

Upvote 0
Uh.. No. Please don't. I wouldn't call myself a purist, but i for one really appreciate the amount of time it takes to level kf perks. The medic requirement is a bit high, as is the stalker requirement for commando, but I'm now level 6 in both perks. I finished borderlands a few days ago, and you level so damn fast, you can't even keep up with all your new upgrades. I didn't feel nearly the accomplishment in borderlands from gaining level 50 as i did from killing that last damn stalker in killing floor.

However, I'm sure someone must have come up with this before, but I have not seen it: Allow us to select previous levels in our perks at the perk selection screen. This would allow people to play with newbie friends without being overpowered compared to them and give 'purists' even more challenge by letting them play highest difficulties as lower levels when they want to. I hate to ask TWI for even more free stuff, but I think its a good idea that would solve this problem way better than making the perks easier to gain. I'm open to comments.

Especially the people who got people to farm them to level 6 and are having remorse at being unable to reset the level, riiiiiiight?

Upvote 0

The 4-5 and 5-6 grinds are DEFINITELY a bit much, especially for some perks that aren't big damage-dealers (Berserker, Firebug). However, if it wasn't so high, some classes (Support) would be Level 6 in no time.

Personally, though, it's taking ridiculously long to level Demoman to 5...let alone 6!

Upvote 0