• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting rid of the voice command limit

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
You have probably noticed this, when a player uses a voice command and when the trader speaks, it's impossible to use a voice command for a couple of seconds. This is quite annoying. If a teammate insults the specimens and I'm in dire need of a medic and want to yell "I need drugs, NOW!" I can't do it, because I have to wait for the cooldown period to end. And if another teammate uses a voice command, I have to wait even longer.

RO also has this problem. I'm pretty sure it's a leftover from UT2004.

Now, you might say "but if they remove the cooldown period, everybody will spam the voice commands". Eh, no. I don't think that will happen very often. I can understand that you want to limit the number of voice commands a player can use within a couple of seconds, but there is no good reason to mute the rest of the players if one of them uses a voice command. You should be able to use a voice command whenever you want, as long as you don't spam them.

Maybe leave the command delay for voice commands coming from a single player. So 3 people can all spam their commands at once, but one person can't spam. And make the involuntary ones not count. Plenty of times I happen to be reloading and thus can't say "Look out!" because I guess it's more important to let people know about my ammo situation than the FP that's bearing down behind them.

Don't turn off the reloading voice, it's useful, just let manually triggered commands override it.

And let us use voice commands in zed-time!

Upvote 0
Maybe leave the command delay for voice commands coming from a single player. So 3 people can all spam their commands at once, but one person can't spam.

Yeah.

And you can use voice commands during ZED-time. But the voices will be slowed down, just like all the other sounds. Or are you saying that you can't use the voice command menu at all during ZED-time? I don't think I've ever tried that.

Upvote 0
Or...
1)Use a mic.

2)Use the say command (press 't' and type)

3)Bind say commands to key

-go to user.ini in c:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/kf/system
-find an unbound key (where 'any button'=)
-and input say random stuff you want to say here
-so that you get something like: i=say Please heal me.
-you can also bind them like:
**p=say going to heal|say cover me (piping multiple say commands)
**o=throw nade|say I'm tossing a grenade (piping with other commands)

Upvote 0
Maybe leave the command delay for voice commands coming from a single player. So 3 people can all spam their commands at once, but one person can't spam. And make the involuntary ones not count. Plenty of times I happen to be reloading and thus can't say "Look out!" because I guess it's more important to let people know about my ammo situation than the FP that's bearing down behind them.

I have been wondering SO many times why I keep hammering that voice command in over and over with no result.
Yeah, this definitely needs to be fixed.
Even if the sound doesn't play, at least the text should be displayed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or...
1)Use a mic.

Some people do not own a mic or have the required english skills to speak english. A microphone doesnt cost much but still.

2)Use the say command (press 't' and type)

How often you actually have time to type? Its a survival game where enemies come from all directions pretty much all the time so you have only a second or two to type something, and when you type too fast like I do, the spam protection kicks in and removes half of the things I tried to say before I got killed while typing.

3)Bind say commands to key

That still doesnt fix the problem about spamprotection cutting out half of the things you are trying to say.

Now dont get me wrong, Im not trying to be an ***. Im just saying, that there should definately be a way of getting rid of the spam protection server side (if there isnt one). Because, like I said, you really dont have much time to type in the middle of the wave, and when ever you manage to type fast enough to not be killed or hit by a zed, the server removes it... Thats just stupid. Same with voicechat.

Upvote 0
Not everybody can / wants to use their mic every time they play. I know I don't. Besides, the in-game voice quality is... not so good, half the time it's impossible to hear what the other guy is saying.

And typing? Seriously? Not sure which game you're playing, but in Killing Floor, typing often means instant death. And most people don't even pay attention to the chat anyway. Unlike voice commands, which people will hear even if they're busy killing a big wave of specimens.

Spam most likely won't happen. Even L4D, which has no cooldown period IIRC, has little to no voice spam. Besides, like I said, there would still be a limit on how many voice commands you can use yourself. But there is no reason to limit the amount of global voice commands to 1 per 5 seconds. It's unfair to the people who use them normally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have never seen the say commando get rejected by this 'spam guard'. Heck I've never, ever seen this problem you are talking about for voice commands either.
Anyway:
1) Mics are the number one way to communicate. It's you choice if you don't want to use them but don't expect to be catered to because you can't be bothered to use it. And the mic quality is fine.
2) Text chat is not useful in the fray but it can still be used otherwise. Just isn't useful most of the time.
3) Say commands aren't blocked and are accompanied by a pic of your character, a particular sound, and a line of text on your screen. If people ignore that, I would be surprised if they are team players anyway.

Upvote 0
Typing means instant death?

If it takes you 25 seconds to type 'medic' you shouldn't be playing KF.

... how smart

It always depends on the situtation, but in most cases you are constantly surrounded by specimens. So, if you stop firing for 5 seconds theres a VERY high chance that a gorefast will charge towards you and slash you before you quit your sentence.

Besides, who actually types "medic" since you got a voice command for it? If you are using the chat its likely you are going to type something more than one word, like I dunno whole sentences?

I have never seen the say commando get rejected by this 'spam guard'. Heck I've never, ever seen this problem you are talking about for voice commands either.

Rly? Then you either never type or use voice commands, or you are very slow at using them..

3) Say commands aren't blocked and are accompanied by a pic of your character, a particular sound, and a line of text on your screen. If people ignore that, I would be surprised if they are team players anyway.

The game DOES block vsay if you try to say too many commands in a short period of time. For example, if I try to say "medic" but say something else accidently, and try it again too quickly, it doesnt allow me to... mostly you end up with 5 seconds of silence.

Why are you so strongly against imporoving the spam protection anyway? Its not like its going to hurt you in any way..

Upvote 0
Rly? Then you either never type or use voice commands, or you are very slow at using them..
Maybe because I actually use a mic? But honestly I have never seen a say command rejected. Nor has any of my squad mates.

Why are you so strongly against imporoving the spam protection anyway? Its not like its going to hurt you in any way..
Because I think there are better things for TWI to work on. I see no reason why this needs to be fixed because I have never seen the problem and there are many easy ways to work around even if there was an issue.

Upvote 0
[QUOTE='[UIT]Because I think there are better things for TWI to work on. I see no reason why this needs to be fixed because I have never seen the problem and there are many easy ways to work around even if there was an issue.[/QUOTE]
Don't be so self centered.
I get that problem all the time when I hammer in "v+3+2" to tell that (rare) berserker who is dead set on holding the line to run the hell away or when I wanna quickly warn people by smashing in "v+3+1" when that occasional fleshpound closes in from behind.
It's way faster than anyone can ever type if you memorize the keycombos.
Not even the text appears (and yes, that would matter. In fact, the sound itself isn't as important) and it preferably seems to happen in the most frantic situations ever which only makes it worse.

Just because you don't have that problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0