• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Variety in the Specimens

HaTeMe

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Behind You!
I thought Id make a new topic for this subject (I mentioned this in the "new fleshpounder" - thread).

So basically, I think it would be great if all the specimens were slightly different by appearance and stats. I realize they are supposed to be clones but that doesnt mean they coulnt have scars (note, not talking about the weapon..), missing limbs due previous battles or different gear/clothing. Like Minion suggested, some Fleshpounds could wear a mask which protects them from headshots, some might carry stronger armor and maybe even different weaponary (preferably something to pound flesh with lol, to keep with the storyline). Maybe some of the gorefasts actually had 2 arms, or some of the clots were missing an arm. Perhaps a husk might not have a "fireball-gun", but an actual closer range flamethrower. These might not be the greatest ideas for variety but you get the idea.

Adding/removing limbs or gear and weaponary would require some modelling tho, but simply changing skins wouldnt be too much work right? But still it would bring at least some level of diversity in the game and everything doesnt look so... boring.

But, the important part. If they look different, they would also need slighly different stats as in damage/health/speed/skills. If you see a gorefast that looks like its injured, it would naturally have lower stats from others of its kind. Then another one with bigger/badder blade would naturally cause more damage. Well you get the point. I think it would make the game a bit more difficult when you try to headshot a scrake with crossbow as medic and notice it didnt die from 1 or 2 shots, when it normally would.

Oh and one thing, I also realize they cant make thousands of different varietys of the specimens (except for the stats if they randomize them beetween some values) but like 3 different skins or models for each specimen wouldnt be too much, right? All they have to do is edit the existing ones.

Even if they didnt want to make new models/skins, randomizing the stats slightly for each specimen could really cause some panic, not always knowing how many shots does it take to kill something. Just like in real life ey, you dont always hit in the right organs ;)?

Last edited:
I agree. I think a little variety in the zeds would go a long way. The game does get very repetitive. I think its a reasonable request but it would just take alot of work on TWIs part so I wouldn't hold my breath. From Yoshi's latest post it seems they have bigger fish to fry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is why all the zeds look the same is for efficiency purposes. Then the computer has to render fewer models. A good example of this is when your driving a car in GTA most of the other cars you pass are the same car your in. This is because all the different models would bog down performance.

With that said, I think we should still get the option under advanced settings to turn on "variety in zed models". If your machine could handle it, like mine could, I'd use it.

Upvote 0
Rendering lots of models versus lots of the same model should make little or no difference. The big issue is the work required to make additional models to use. Mere cosmetic upgrades would be stupid but actually implementing as game altering effects would be interesting. Unfortunately such thing would take time to make and balance. Besides having lots of the same enemy helps recognizing what is coming at you. If you want new content I would rather see a new enemy since that is about the amount of work that would go into modding existing enemies.

Upvote 0
oh man, YES

oh man, YES

Excellent idea imo. KF needs as much variety as possible since it's not PvP, which contributes MASSIVELY to gameplay variety. New zed stats are probably the best way to introduce more variety besides new zeds, weapons, or game modes.

I'd rather see new zed skins to justify new stats rather than applying a random set of stats across the board, although that would be cool to increase the variety as well. The problem with randomizing stats is you would be introducing a "luck" factor that a lot of players wouldn't like, meaning they might get "unlucky" and go up against a tougher zed than expected, getting killed in the process etc. The benefit here is increased difficulty (which many think is needed) and a more organic feel (in "real life" they shouldn't all have the same exact health etc.).

As for remodeling existing zeds, it would take a good amount of work to mod them all, but each one would be MUCH easier than modeling & scripting a new zed from scratch, so you could probably remodel half the zeds with the same amount of work as making 1 new one. And of course they don't all have to be added at once.

These new zeds would appear occasionally among the regular zeds. The backstory could suggest the Patriarch making improvements on his "children" to enhance their combat effectiveness, working out of a secret Horzine facility that he rennovated. They could even serve as mini bosses if they're buffed enough, in which case they wouldn't spawn as often. Quick ideas:

Gorefast: bigger blade, swings more slowly but does more damage, still can do a double hit. Moves slightly slower but is tougher. New skin texture and blade model. Or it could have 2 arms & 2 blades as OP suggested.

Clot: stronger zed, moves faster, tougher, can grab a zerker. Bigger & more muscular model.

Siren: no straightjacket so her arms are free, and a megaphone in her hand (joking). Moves faster and has longer attack range.

Crawler: Is tougher, does more damage, same jumping mechanics. New model texture.

Scrake: 2 chainsaws, does twice as much damage, same movement speed and health. New chainsaw model and attack animation.

Husk: 2 fireball cannons, weak melee attack. New fireball cannon model and attack animation.

Stalker: better invisibility, does more damage, is tougher and is not revealed to commandos. Make cloak model more transparent, new skin texture.

Bloat: tougher, longer bile attack range, moves faster. New skin texture.

Fleshpounder with cheese: fleshpound with a Burger King paper crown on its head (joking). I think a metal mask or knight's helmet would be pretty cool. Essentially it would have to be decapped twice, the first time removing the helmet/mask and raging it. This would demand a skilled SS headshot or two working together to bring down safely. New model for mask, and script head health to reset after first "decap" is triggered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that tripwire can save some of their manpower and run a contest for new skins and models, and I bet some folsk may already have some new skins ready to go.
Also I do kinda like the random stats for the 'normal' looking ones. Its a like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get, as long as it totally lopsided it will be fun. If the first wave everthing is 1.5 to 2 times as powerful as normal, it would suck, but if like every so often my head shot wouldn't kill the clot and just decap him, that is a cool/spooky surprise. Likewise if some of the gorefest died with only 2 body shots rather than 3, *bonus*

Upvote 0
You could apply a bell curve to all the zed stats. Human populations follow bell curves, with most people pretty close to average and fewer people are farther from average. So occasionally you'd run into a really freakin tough specimen, and other times you would steamroll a FP with surprising ease. But you'll never know which it'll be ;)

Upvote 0
1 thing I've always liked about killing floor, is it is alot scarier than l4d. I get plenty of moments where I'm happily balsting away and all of a sudden I get a very nasty slap from behind, or a stalker pops up slightly to the side of me. I also hate it when gorefasts start that crazy strafing towards you... really freaks me out :D

That being said I've looked at some videos of the original UT2k4 Mod version and the specimens in the new killing floor do look alot more... clean... than the orignal game. The mod zombies were bloody battered and scarred, ans because the new game is neat and tidy the specimens dont look quite as freaky.

I can only imagine how much work it would take to successfully implement new skins and/or wounds onto specimens, but having a little variety and having a few gruesomely wounded/scarred specimens would make them look a little creepier :)

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTk3a9Aj6To]YouTube - Killing Floor Unreal Tournament 2K4 Mod[/URL]

Its suprising how a few cuts and and a bit of blood can really make something look "the most appropraite word you can think of here" -ed up :)

Upvote 0
I like it how it is, really. They're mass-produced clones that are supposed to look the same. If anything, that makes them MORE eerie to me than a bunch of grungy zombies.

As for the missing grime...back in the day, if you look closely (Especially close up), you'll notice that a lot of the "grime" was to cover up lack of detail. It's not needed anymore, so the zombies look more clean, and MUCH more detailed...

Rendering lots of models versus lots of the same model should make little or no difference.

Each model takes up memory. Loading the clot model is one thing. Loading a dozen different clot models is quite another.

Factor in that, currently, we have maybe 10 models to be loaded. Add even a half-dozen variations for each and we suddenly have 60 models needing to be loaded and the games memory footprint balloons...

Upvote 0
Each model takes up memory. Loading the clot model is one thing. Loading a dozen different clot models is quite another.

Factor in that, currently, we have maybe 10 models to be loaded. Add even a half-dozen variations for each and we suddenly have 60 models needing to be loaded and the games memory footprint balloons...
I'm relatively sure that what you are referring to is loading the models into the graphics memory where as the actual rendering is gpu intensive. As long as you don't go overboard with the variations it shouldn't be an issue. Heck, you could even overlay a separate rendered object instead of a separate model.

But regardless I am quite happy with the variation in specs already. No need for TWI to take extra time to address this issue when there are many glaring issues to work out.

Upvote 0
I like it how it is, really. They're mass-produced clones that are supposed to look the same. If anything, that makes them MORE eerie to me than a bunch of grungy zombies.

Agreed, I like them as they are as well, but you have to admit they do look freakier all cut up with blood running down their faces. I did think about how they are all clones designed to look the same, but weren't they like obsessed with self mutilation or something?

If I'm honest I'll be happy if nothing is done or something is done, but either way that video clip is Jizz worthy :p

Upvote 0
Like I said, I know they are supposed to be clones, but just because they were created the same way doesnt mean life treated them the same way :p

I mean, not all twins have the exact same amount of hair either LOL... and if the other twin gets into a car accident and loses both his legs, the other one doesnt. Etc etc.. And you can always say the Patriarch (what ever his real name was again) had different variations of his clones, some of them were more of a failed experiment while others were more successful, improved versions.

Upvote 0