• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advanced Hand to Hand anyone?

MR.TEA{US}(FKARainInFace)

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 10, 2009
If it's possible maybe make some additional options for hand to hand combat...

For instance:

Club someone with your rifle depending on where u hit them it knocks them down then being able to stab or club them to death. Basically make it possible to use your bayo and rifle butt interchangeably. It always bothered me when you clubbed someone in the head and they survived unmoved to shoot u down.
-Club the weapon out of someones hand
-swing your rifle or club them to knock them down
-stab them while theyre down.
Hand to hand always looked funny in original RO

Unarmed combat:
In Original RO when your guy lost his weapon and grenades he was completely defenseless. I find it hard to believe that a soldier with a desire to survive would be completely defenseless. At least have your guy be able to punch someone or if your bayo wasn't on your rifle when you lost it be able to have the bayo to stab an enemy to take thier weapon, because going back for your weapon gets you killed.

...this isnt a melee game so i doubt it relaly going to go in depth eve nt oas far as you suggested. its a ww2 infantry game... this stuff would almost never be implemented making it a complete waste of time. yea its cool but just aucse its cool doesnt mean it should be implemented Today 08:28 PM
The melee system in RO:Ost was not up to par with the other realistic gameplay mechanics. The system is in need of a change, and while it doesn't need to be very in-depth, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Upvote 0
The melee system in RO:Ost was not up to par with the other realistic gameplay mechanics. The system is in need of a change, and while it doesn't need to be very in-depth, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

not really cause the bayo n the rifle butt worked fine enough... if it was working well then yea sure but its fine it doesnt need this stuff. its just a waste of time - this game has to be released you know...

Upvote 0
...this isnt a melee game so i doubt it relaly going to go in depth eve nt oas far as you suggested. its a ww2 infantry game... this stuff would almost never be implemented making it a complete waste of time. yea its cool but just aucse its cool doesnt mean it should be implemented

Melee is still a big part to riflemen in some situations.
You dont have that bayonet on your rifle without reason, you have it on to use it, to engage in melee if need be.
It happens often enough in ROOST to warrant an improved bayonet fighting system.

I like the ability to knock someone down and then ram a bayonet into him when he's on the ground.
Not necessarily to do that myself, but just imagine how awesome it would look if someone else did that to another person just a few yards to your side as he runs into a crater of some sort, knocks a guy on his *** and then sticks his bayonet in his body.
That would be very immersive, because it looks more real than two guys circling eachother trying to get a hit each and every time.

One added suggestion to that knockdown thing would be to use momentum for it.
If you stand still you would have to hit someone pretty damn hard to knock him on the ground, especially if someone is prepared for it.
However if you have a forward momentum and combine that with a buttswing, you would most likely knock him over no matter how well prepared.

Upvote 0
Evil! Revolution! :D

I'd like to have:

- side swing buttstock attack
- kicking
- pushing the enemy away (tackling?)
- the enemy falling to the ground if the attack is fierce enough

a nice thing would be:

Call of Duty 3 Melee Combat

I know it's a console-only game but still the LT and RT brought up an idea for me. As it's in this game all about hitting the buttons faster to emulate more power than the German A.I. soldier. How about here in HoS that it's quite similar. You just have to click your mouse buttons (left and right) faster than the opponent.

What about that?

Upvote 0
Evil! Revolution! :D

I'd like to have:

- side swing buttstock attack
- kicking
- pushing the enemy away (tackling?)
- the enemy falling to the ground if the attack is fierce enough

a nice thing would be:

YouTube - Call of Duty 3 Official Movie 2

I know it's a console-only game but still the LT and RT brought up an idea for me. As it's in this game all about hitting the buttons faster to emulate more power than the German A.I. soldier. How about here in HoS that it's quite similar. You just have to click your mouse buttons (left and right) faster than the opponent.

What about that?

Quicktime? In multiplayer?

LOL, NO.

I like the ability to knock someone down and then ram a bayonet into him when he's on the ground.
Not necessarily to do that myself, but just imagine how awesome it would look if someone else did that to another person just a few yards to your side as he runs into a crater of some sort, knocks a guy on his *** and then sticks his bayonet in his body.
That would be very immersive, because it looks more real than two guys circling eachother trying to get a hit each and every time.

We have a winner. Something like this is in a game called Mount&Blade (it has an excellent, excellent melee system. Ideally, RO:HoS would have one as good as it, but hey, no one's perfect.) Basically, if you run at somebody with a blunt object, they'll get knocked over. The game calculates momentum (hence hitting someone from horse back with a sword being way more effective than from the ground.) So, if you just stand a whack at somebody with a staff, just standing still, they got knocked back and do fall over sometimes, but if you charge at them and basically sideswipe them in the face with it, they get knocked over (and get back up too quickly, but that would be easy to remedy.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You actually brought up a few points that made me want to expand on your ideas.

To make melee buttsmacking (whether swinging or striking) have its own unique advantages, it could have an increased chance of disarming an opponent of their readied weapon/knockdown, and a blurring effect though milder damage.

For bayonet stabbing you could have greater damage dealt, and faster striking, but a more pinpoint attack and less lethal at specific locations.

Then of course you could have a somewhat simple non-weapon melee system when disarmed of course so you're not completely useless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quicktime? In multiplayer?
LOL, NO.

This was just a suggestion. As the thread topic refers to advanced melee combat I thought of this game experience I made with CoD 3 and I scanned youtube for a video. I'm aware of this being a console game, still there should be a way to emulate this kind of fighting, as it's quite intense.
Just look what bayonet stabbing is like, you attack the enemy, stab and finish. No real action at all. I know Zetsumei and RedGuardist, both said it's a bit bad taking the control out of players hands, that was concerning the thingy of falling to the ground when shot in the legs. Still I do believe this is a realism shooter and so it should be possible to fall/be smacked to the ground in melee combat. That you might have lost the battle then is possible but not at 100%. You can still survive if a comrade of yours is taking care of the enemy, you can get up again. This gives atmosphere!!

RO should not become a fastplay semi arcade, like: "Damn I'm no longer at full health, I better suicide to get a new soldier with full health". This sounds to me like a CoD-players opinion on RO's healthsystem. There are things in a realism shooter that can be annoying f.ex. falling to the ground. Always remember it's not just you falling, it could be the enemy as well. So a melee charging attack could result in punching the enemy to the ground. And there we're back at the video. Now you could get the chance to grab the enemy's rifle (if you have lost your own). This kind of struggling would be quite intensive. Of course the slow motion parts in the video need to be removed to better fit it into RO.

I also do know that the game shall become more accessible but hey lads there's a "advanced realism" variant and a "true realism". So the ability to fall on the ground in melee combat is only available in true realism and newcomers who will likely go for "advanced realism" won't be turned off.

The ability or possibility to fall/crash onto the ground either in melee combat and/or when shot into the legs is a, in my eyes and hopefully some others', a great idea and it will differ RO much more from mainstream games like the CoD and the MoH series.

Another ability you should have is to block an enemys melee buttstock attack by simply pushing your rifle against his attack swing. This ability could make melee fighting more intensive as it's not just "2-3 strikes and out!" The enemy has a real chance of blocking and fighting back like in real life. Nobody would just stand there waiting for the buttstock arriving in his face.

If TWI implements this I strongly believe in an awesome great new feeling in melee combat!

Upvote 0
The ability or possibility to fall/crash onto the ground either in melee combat and/or when shot into the legs is a, in my eyes and hopefully some others', a great idea and it will differ RO much more from mainstream games like the CoD and the MoH series.

It is a good idea in principle, no doubt. And it would add realism and immersion, if done right.

The implementation just would have to be really good not to make it awkward. And not to make you feel, that the control is completely out of your hands. :)

Upvote 0