• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

question

oh wow, holy cow tripple post! :rolleyes:

there is something called an Edit button you know...

My bad, I tend to focus on one thing at a time and respond to each person individually, usually not knowing when the next person will post (before my next response or after)

I will attempt to condense in the future if it's a problem.

Upvote 0
True dat.

Plus, selling my entire account is not an option. Creating a new account for every game you buy in order to sell it later is a pain in the ***..

it is yes. but you could easily just sell your account for 100% of its value (or perhaps a bit less) and then just rebuy the games you didn't want to sell in a new account.

Upvote 0
I don't think I'll ever purchase a game in the store again. I've had Steam since it's inception and haven't looked back. I wish ALL games were on Steam or Direct2Drive either one works perfectly fine to me. I can download the games quicker than going to the store to buy them and I never have to leave the house. No more CD's or DVD's laying around and the possibility of their damage.

As others have said people probably have a 100+ processes running and blame their issues on Steam. I've never had a single issue with Steam. The updates as someone mentioned are also a plus without looking and downloading patches.

Upvote 0
you can turn off auto updating for the games you dont want to be updated

Yes but not if you already have the new version, you can't backtrack. (if you buy the game after the new patch for example)

This was a problem for STALKER for some mods and a few other games.

If steam allowed you to choose what version you wanted your game at it'd be perfect.

Upvote 0
Wow so much responses :) i never got a warning so i figured no one reacted hehehe i guess i have to set a button somwhere :)

Ok first of all :

I think it's a very personal thing if you like it or not. the rasons i dislike it are... (and i know many of you will disagree)....

- the way it takes over your games i like to decide what i install and wenn i install a update besides all my games are heavy Modified with MODS.

- again a programm that runs in the background. On my old PC i had STEAM and it realy slowed down the starting up from the PC which i hated i always untill the STEAM was the last one to start-up :(

-if something happens to your PC you loose ot all you wil have god knows how many installkey's passwords etc to remember, which normally should work but by god if you fry your PC and HD is lost your screwed. Besides all that i want a HardCopy fom a game. I have had some games Downloaded before but i never liked it. like the fact you get 3 or 4 extra installs wenn you use that you have to beg for more and if in the worsed situation you must pay some for new activation key's.

well maybe i forgot something and remeber it later but in short... it's NOT MY THING!

Upvote 0
- the way it takes over your games i like to decide what i install and wenn i install a update besides all my games are heavy Modified with MODS.
You still do. The only issue I've seen is the one NoxNoctum describes. Don't select auto-update. If you are unsure about a patch, back up first.

- again a programm that runs in the background. On my old PC i had STEAM and it realy slowed down the starting up from the PC which i hated i always untill the STEAM was the last one to start-up :(
You don't have to have it start up with the PC. You don't even have to start it to run a game. It will reside in the background as a service as the game is running, but it uses less than 10KB.

-if something happens to your PC you loose ot all you wil have god knows how many installkey's passwords etc to remember, which normally should work but by god if you fry your PC and HD is lost your screwed. Besides all that i want a HardCopy fom a game. I have had some games Downloaded before but i never liked it. like the fact you get 3 or 4 extra installs wenn you use that you have to beg for more and if in the worsed situation you must pay some for new activation key's.
I don't have a clue as to what you're saying here???? Steam takes care of all of that. You can log into your Steam account on any computer anywhere and play your games. All that is required of you is to remember your Steam login name and password. Steam does the rests.
There are no download limits. You can back up your games to another drive/device. If something happens to your computer or hard drive then you can restore them rather than re-download them if you would rather.

Perhaps you have Steam confused with some other service?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nope maybe it's my Dutch nature but i can't stand things that controll everything. So if it works for most of you fine. It doesn't for me and all i was saying it would be nice to at least have the option to choose to use Steam or not.

It's just another way to monitor what you play and how long you play etc. to aid the marketing depaartments. For short it's to much controlling for me/

It'll probally no make sence to you all but at least it's my own opinion afterall i am a paying customer so why pay for something i no want.

Upvote 0
I hear the new cool thing is to jump off a bridge,every modern guy knows that,get with the times!!!

lolol no but for real, I still use steam every day of my life,And every day I find a new reason to HATE IT,and wish death upon its creators....every damn day of my life :(

ROFLMFAO,:D, brilliant!

My experience with steam has been pretty good overall. Annoyances have been minor,the exception, submitting a ticket, so I can relate with the frustration. However, I pretty much expected most problems I encountered.

That been said, I like physical copies and box art etc. The first game I bought for steam was HL2, which by the way, was my first game and introduction to pc's. I still have it and all my others which is going into my games room when my house is built.
From time to time when I look at it at open the cover flap, I'm reminded of myself standing the store looking at the combines coming down the street taking over, with the caption "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME" and boy was that true.
I'm fond of those memories and enjoy having those little reminders around that take you to a different place and time. This is why I like physical copies!

Upvote 0
I'm not a huge fan of Steam honestly. However, I can see a convenience that makes my life easier when it's there. Steam is a convenience. I just purchased a new notebook. I migrated all my music, pictures, documents, and bookmarks over via a thumbdrive and then installed Steam along with other applications I use frequently. The only things I've needed physical media to install from have been MS Office 2007, Outlook, Men of War, and World in Conflict. All ten of the other games I have were downloaded off Steam in a few hours while I went to work. No hassle.

Upvote 0
It's just another way to monitor what you play and how long you play etc. to aid the marketing depaartments. For short it's to much controlling for me/

bigsteam.jpg

Upvote 0
It's just another way to monitor what you play and how long you play etc. to aid the marketing depaartments. For short it's to much controlling for me

whats wrong with this? knowing the time I play is something I would like to know myself so its a useful data for me too

and what if they aid the marketing department with your (and many other's) stats?

don't you want games that appeal more to you than the current ones?

or do you prefer to keep buying just a few games that you wont end up linking much anyway, and die in a gold coffin with the money you saved in life?

to those conspiracy paranoids:

1- you are only a number
2- nobody cares about you
3- they are not wanking at your profile page and/or your stats

Upvote 0
Is there something wrong with them monitoring how long you play and what games you play?

How is that a threat? Sure it's monitoring but not all monitoring is bad. And who cares if it goes to marketing. Everything in life has some sort of origin of helping marketing nowadays. You might as well learn to live with it. You helped those markets just buy buying the games with or without steam anyway.

Upvote 0