• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design So...

Wildcolt

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
So...just how advanced can you get with the level editor? I've not done level editing since the latest and greatest thing was 2d ;p but we could get pretty advanced with it. So I was wondering if we could do the following...

Trigger events causing sound clips to be played.
Custom sound clips.(i think i've seen yes, but I don't know how you do it for this. Explain plox? :x)
Direct control over zeds. For example, making it walk at a certain speed, along an exact path, and stopping, then moving again, and never fire at the squad. Like having a husk walk up, activate a sound clip, then walk away, and never attack during it.

Multiple boss zeds.
Custom health values for certain zeds. For example, say have 3 of the patriarch, each with a health value. Then a patriarch after them with a much larger health pool.

Doors that shut/open by triggers other than trader triggers. Like having a door from what could look like an elevator open, release a zed, then close, and shortly after open and release another zed, then close again.

Complex coding statements. For example, while doorOpen < 0, spawnZeds. If zedDeaths > 500, doorOpen = 1.

That's my list of questions about the capabilities of it. Beyond that I have another question. How is the mapping actually done. Is it just a top-down view and you just place things or...? I mean I've seen screens of top-down, "front", and "side", then an ingame...render? Which of these do you actually build in? And just how complicated is it? Am I entering xyz coords, or do i move it around with arrow keys? mouse? hmmm?

Curious colt is curious... :x and no i can't load it up right now to look...(work), and I'm curious if I can do it while I do the boring stuffs that is work :x and still look like doing something important and not to be bothered with...it'd be a win win :x

Trigger events causing sound clips to be played.
Custom sound clips.(i think i've seen yes, but I don't know how you do it for this. Explain plox? :x)
Direct control over zeds. For example, making it walk at a certain speed, along an exact path, and stopping, then moving again, and never fire at the squad. Like having a husk walk up, activate a sound clip, then walk away, and never attack during it.
This could be done though it may require some custom scripting, I'm not sure how flexible the specimens are.

Multiple boss zeds.
Custom health values for certain zeds. For example, say have 3 of the patriarch, each with a health value. Then a patriarch after them with a much larger health pool.
This would require some custom code. The boss system is built into the game and is not defined in the standard KF map.

Doors that shut/open by triggers other than trader triggers. Like having a door from what could look like an elevator open, release a zed, then close, and shortly after open and release another zed, then close again.
This can be done

Complex coding statements. For example, while doorOpen < 0, spawnZeds. If zedDeaths > 500, doorOpen = 1.
Should be able to be done, if not, its nothing a little custom code could fix.

That's my list of questions about the capabilities of it. Beyond that I have another question. How is the mapping actually done. Is it just a top-down view and you just place things or...? I mean I've seen screens of top-down, "front", and "side", then an ingame...render? Which of these do you actually build in? And just how complicated is it? Am I entering xyz coords, or do i move it around with arrow keys? mouse? hmmm?
You have 4 windows.

*3d
Top 2d Grid
Side 2d Grid
Front 2d Grid

All of these can be changed, so you could have 4 3d windows if you wanted. You can build in all windows

For 3d window you can freely move with your mouse in xyz movment

Also this thread should have more indetail instructions for Scripted Sequences that you may be looking for.(Spawning Zeds etc)

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=39077

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They may have more support for story mode style play/scripted sequences instead of "Follow player and kill them" Mentality. I don't know for sure though, i have not looked into story mode that much yet.
But from what I have seen, you can at least make them do animations / not attack you. There are probably some other features built in that I have not seen.

Upvote 0
This would require some custom code. The boss system is built into the game and is not defined in the standard KF map.

Far as i am aware. You can edit the pawns health by making a sub-class of a specific specimen.

As for animations and making the pawn do what you want. You'l be needing a KFHUMAN pawn, and a custom made AIScript.
Set the specimen to disabled, and have him move around. By default, because its a HUMAN pawn, it wont attack. So change the skin and skel to a specimen and it will work. Look inside the map Degeneration to see how that works.

Upvote 0