• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dragon Age: Origins

Got it yesterday, pretty impressed so far. I am playing as a poor down trodden elf warrior. I have a question though, is there any way to set it up so that I don't have to always hold down right mouse to pan the camera? Also what's with all the unlockable chests early in the game? Is there something I missed here or do I have to return and unlock them all later when I have the skill?

The combat system is taking some getting used to for me as it's MMO style and I've never played an MMO in my life. I find the tactics can get a little dodgy from time to time. For example I'm in the mission to light the beacon on the tower and the mage that joins your party just won't stay at range. I have his tactic set to ranged and using magic yet he somehow always ends up point blank with an enemy prodding at it with his staff. Do I need to set a condition for him to stay at range and use mana potion when he is out?

I am up to the ogre at the top of the tower, he kicked my *** last night but tonight I am going to have a crack with keeping everyone ranged and using Alistair as a tank, I reckon I could use taunt to keep him after Alistair while everyone else shoots him.

Upvote 0
Got it yesterday, pretty impressed so far. I am playing as a poor down trodden elf warrior. I have a question though, is there any way to set it up so that I don't have to always hold down right mouse to pan the camera?
i dont think so

Also what's with all the unlockable chests early in the game? Is there something I missed here or do I have to return and unlock them all later when I have the skill?
only rouges can unlock things, so unless you are a rouge you wont be able to unlock chests and doors
once you get Leliana in your party you can unlock stuff

imho thats rather stupid, as whenever there is a locked object i have to deselect the group and select the rouge

but not being able to open stuff early in the game isnt a big problem imo, as most of them contain junk anyways

The combat system is taking some getting used to for me as it's MMO style and I've never played an MMO in my life. I find the tactics can get a little dodgy from time to time. For example I'm in the mission to light the beacon on the tower and the mage that joins your party just won't stay at range. I have his tactic set to ranged and using magic yet he somehow always ends up point blank with an enemy prodding at it with his staff. Do I need to set a condition for him to stay at range and use mana potion when he is out?
well i havnt found out how to make someone stay at range, but you can order a warrior to attack the enemy that attacks your mage
allistair would be a good option as he can threaten the enemies to attack him instead of the mage

I am up to the ogre at the top of the tower, he kicked my *** last night but tonight I am going to have a crack with keeping everyone ranged and using Alistair as a tank, I reckon I could use taunt to keep him after Alistair while everyone else shoots him.

you will get your *** handed again as Allistair has too hew health to stand against him alone
(somehow i have the feeling that Allistair dies way too fast anyways, i have him at 41 constitution with epic items only and he looses health way faster than any other char)

id suggest to get your main char in his back (you are a warrior, so what are you doing with a bow?)
the tactic that worked best for me up till now is just swarm a boss with all melee fighters you have, as bnack/side attacks will inflict significantly more damage, even for non rouges

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alright, at first this game didn't appeal to me at all, I didn't understand all the hype. But it didn't get that much advertising at all. A lot of people DO seem to like this game, so I might give it a try. Not a big fan of RPGs though. The only recent RPG I liked was The Witcher because it wasn't really an RPG in the traditional sense.

Is the combat any good in Dragon Age? And does it force you to grind, micro-manage or adapt a certain style? Because I'm not into that at all.

Anyway, I might get it when it's cheaper. For now I don't have the time for a long RPG.

Upvote 0
Is the combat any good in Dragon Age? And does it force you to grind, micro-manage or adapt a certain style? Because I'm not into that at all.

it heavily depends on what difficulty you play
on Easy you can just click them around like in a RTS
in Normal you need tactics, so you have to pause rather often (thats what i play at, i dont really like a huge ammount of micro managing)
in Hard you really need to set up tactics, ambushes and get a run for your balls
and on verry hard you basically play in pause mode only :p

and it does not force you to grind, there is no grinding in this game at all imo

Upvote 0
I dont think there is any grind in this game, considering it's a storybased RPG and from what i understand there isnt much incentive to go back to area's youve been too and mobs dont respawn.
I loved that about Gothic 1/2 and Risen too, you clear out an area, it stays clear, and only every new chapter or so (which take a long while) there might be a few new creatures, but never as much as the first time you've been there.

Personally i'm not all that into the pausing gameplay tbh, but i have ordered the game now.
I'm playing it for characters and story mostly, especially the characters seem to be very well fleshed out.

Upvote 0
Ok I beat the sonofa*****!!!

I used Alistair and my main char with swords to tank him, had my mage cast flaming swords for the melee guys and hit the ogre with weakness. The mage and guardsman then pummeled him with flaming arrows and magic from range.

It's funny cause he'd always get aggravated by one of the ranged guys and I'd just use taunt with one of my tanks to get him chasing them again :D

I figured out too that if he picks someone up you just shield bash him with the other and he'll drop him.

Upvote 0
Okay now it's gotten a bit annoying. I am in Denerim and keep getting ambushed by patrols consisting of 25 or so men. I don't have many area of effect spells yet so I am stuck using a lot of potions and the fights are pretty hard (on normal difficulty) and long. It's getting a bit tiring spending 50% of my playtime in pause mode and in random encounter fights. The games more like an RTS with short RPG sequences in between at the moment, I hope it get better again.

Upvote 0
Okay now it's gotten a bit annoying. I am in Denerim and keep getting ambushed by patrols consisting of 25 or so men. I don't have many area of effect spells yet so I am stuck using a lot of potions and the fights are pretty hard (on normal difficulty) and long. It's getting a bit tiring spending 50% of my playtime in pause mode and in random encounter fights. The games more like an RTS with short RPG sequences in between at the moment, I hope it get better again.

you are only ambushed a couple of times in denerim
after you beat 4-5 ambushes they stop :)

Upvote 0
I too am in love with the game, though it did take a while. But once you get the hang of the tactics and figure out the right person to bring along a on mission (damn disapproval ratings, thankfully you can swap party members out in most open areas) it is a lot of fun.

So far my largest problem is what to do with all this frakking loot! Unless you have the Warden's Keep DLC you have to carry everything with you, and since I barely have any money I can't afford backpacks atm. Blood dragon armor sounded awesome until I realized my character needs 38 strength and tier 6 weapon unlocks to use it, mine just sits in my inventory eating up a slot. Oh well, at least I can get it when Mass Effect 2 comes out.

Upvote 0
I came into a lot of money so I spent the 10g on the dragon scale armor, its okay, each piece is around 2 armor but the fatigue is around 1. I say go for it if you got the money to spend but can't use the higher level armor yet.

Completely unrelated but I figure I mention it since the free online guides fail at explaining this (no real spoilers here). At the boss fight at the end of Circle of Magi quest, to side with the mages you have to use the Litany of such and such. What you have to do is be inside the circle as it is casted on the mages that are lying on the floor to prevent them from becoming abominations (IIRC it is under the advanced section of the radial menu). Of course if you want to side with the Templars then don't use the Litany at all.

Upvote 0
This is one of those games where you start playing at 5pm look up after a short jaunt and it's 4am in the morning :eek:
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I came into a lot of money so I spent the 10g on the dragon scale armor, its okay, each piece is around 2 armor but the fatigue is around 1. I say go for it if you got the money to spend but can't use the higher level armor yet.

Completely unrelated but I figure I mention it since the free online guides fail at explaining this (no real spoilers here). At the boss fight at the end of Circle of Magi quest, to side with the mages you have to use the Litany of such and such. What you have to do is be inside the circle as it is casted on the mages that are lying on the floor to prevent them from becoming abominations (IIRC it is under the advanced section of the radial menu). Of course if you want to side with the Templars then don't use the Litany at all.

you dont have to be inside the circle, just use the litany in effect range of the deamon and it will stunn him and disrupt his casting

PS: you get drake and dragon scales in winterhaven, just get them to Wade in denerim and he will manufacture some special dragonscale armor for you :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0