• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

reduce the size of the machete

joecheeze

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
in you're attic
needs to be 1-2 slots. Axe should prolly be reduced to 4 as well. I mean they are pretty good weapons. Just seems weird for the machete to weigh 3 when the katana weighs 3 as well. plus would be a much needed upgrade for the knife that anyone could just tack on when they just have that lonely 1 slot open.

Trolling again, I see?
That was a serious post.
And what's with that 'again'?
I try to always have a point with every single post I make.
Maybe I come across as a bit annoyed at times. That's because I most likely am.
For instance, right now by you.

However just being just blunt because of being annoyed does not equal a 'troll'.
A troll just wants to annoy people while having no point at all.
Maybe some other people around here who act like ones themselves should read up on what a troll actually is.
Then again putting much effort into things isn't what trolls usually do so...

Anyway, besides annoying me, what exactly was your point with that part of your post?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If they're doing it right, it's balancing before realism, always.
Agreed and weight is by far the most restrictive thing in the game since money is easy enough to come by for high level perks even on suicidal. I like that the new weapons are light so they can be carried with other weapons but they are far too powerful for their weight.

Upvote 0
Because IRL the AK-47 is a few pounds heavier than the SCAR. It's balanced in-game by the SCAR being more expensive.

At least that's how I rationalize it. Don't ask me why the crossbow is so heavy.

Realism in some places, video game in others I guess.

As mentioned in another post, the xbow is so heavy because of the ammunition that it can carry.

Typically, the holsters for bolts carry 20, in game you get 40.

But yeah, game balancing > realism. If not, the mp7 would be much stronger.

Upvote 0
I'm with 9_6, machette will still be useless at 1 wieght. Paying to upgrade knife to machette so its wieght is zero, is the only way that it might have the slightest chance of being bought or used.

Also nobody ever needs an upgrade to knife. You are already screwed if you are down to knife, better reload and hope for the best...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
last time i check this was a suggestion thread. please try to keep the post constructive to the topic.

I think the point 9_6 was making was that all weapons must have a tradeoff, you can't get something for nothing i.e. a more powerful knife (machete) must come with a combination of added cost and weight for balance. The xbow is cheap and powerful but weighs a ton. The SCAR and M14 are powerful and light but expensive. The AA12 weighs a ton and is uber expensive.

Versatility is also a factor, for example the M32 can do more damage in 2 seconds than any other weapon besides the pipe bomb but it's not very versatile because it won't save you from anything in your face. For the most part, the weapons are very well balanced in terms of power/versatility/weight/cost. You shouldn't be able to carry a xbow and an M14, and you can't. You shouldn't be able to carry a flamethrower and another primary weapon, and you can't. You shouldn't be able to carry a SCAR, AK-47 and bullpup all at once, and you can't. Obviously you could if you were support class, but that would just be stupid.

Anyway, I think the zerk should be able to dual wield machetes with no added weight, similar to dual wielding 9mm's or handcannons. The dual wielding idea was posted by Nenjin here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37681&page=4

My take is either keep the weight at 3 and allow dual wield with no extra weight, or reduce the weight to 2 and require an extra 2 to dual wield (only the zerk should be able to dual wield). Dual machetes would have a faster attack rate than katana and thus would be better for handling mobs of weaker specimens. An alt-fire would be a scissor chop more powerful but slower than a normal katana swing. This would give the zerk a reason to carry anything besides the katana.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the point 9_6 was making was that all weapons must have a tradeoff, you can't get something for nothing i.e. a more powerful knife (machete) must come with a combination of added cost and weight for balance.
No, my point was that the machete, as it is now, is so useless that I think it should be made an upgrade for the knife, completely replacing it upon purchase so you don't have to cycle through weapons.
An upgrade that weighs nothing instead of an actual extra weapon that takes up blocks trade off being that it still costs money and that it barely has more damage than the knife and swings slower anyway.
Maybe then it'd have at least some use.

Or do you know anyone who seriously uses the machete for anything beyond wave 1?
I didn't see anyone in the berserker survey thread who does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting suggestion, however I don't want to be burdened with the thought that I should always upgrade my knife "just in case," spend more money, and have more hassle in the trader. did you read my suggestion? I know nobody uses the machete, but if dual wielding were allowed for berserkers, they probably would for the weaker stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How about giving Berserkers the prestige of being the only class to get a spawning weapon at perk level 3/4 - the machete, and increasing the cost of the katana (which should probably happen anyway, it's ridiculous having it the same price as the far less effective chainsaw and much lower than the other 'exotic' or top tier weapons with discounts)?

Upvote 0