• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ads - Seriously Read It and Don't Lock It

-[SiN]-bswearer

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008
before anyone starts flipping out.....i am not doing this to rage or yell at TW. all i want to do is help

some people have been rumoring that the new video ads are the cause for the performance issues being experienced since the latest update. well, believe it or not i am positive they are correct.

after talking with skillshot (may have seen him raging about this already), i came to find out he's got 1GB of RAM and has been having poor performance issues. i myself have 4GB of RAM and told him i've experienced a little slowness in changing maps, connecting, and opening wave lag but nothing that makes the game too unplayable. yes the tweak guide helped a little, just like it did for me in RO, but i think the ads are definately the root of the problem and here is why:

turn off your internet connection and play KF solo in offline mode.......you will notice three things:
1.) the map loads at a normal speed
2.) no lag to start off the map
3.) oh and the big one....there are no video ads on the opening screen

why is that??? well, it's because the video ads only work when you are online. i'm not too tech savy but i'm thinking that each individual player is connecting to an external source to load up these videos. when you've got 25000 people trying to load them, of course it's going to be slow. notice how on thursday there was a little slowness, friday, got a little worse, today even more worse. it's directly because of the tons of additional players playing and having to download these video ads.

the downloading of the vids for the ads is obviously the problem. so, something needs to be done about that. either they need to stop, the source of the downloads needs more idk, power or whatever so it can handle all of the connections and downloads, or what if the videos were just stored on a players personal hard drive?? wouldn't that decrease the ammount of memory required to run the ads? remember i'm no tech genius, so maybe someone else has more knowledge.

please remember, as i've already said in tons of other posts, i fully SUPPORT the ads. i think they are great for promoting TW and their games. however, if they are causing so much pain for people to play, something needs to be done about it.

please TW, admit that they are the cause of the performance issues and find a way to still use the ads, but not cause major performance issues for the players

do the videos download everytime or are they stored in the kf game files?

if they aren't the you really should do that twi.

i think it is entirely possible for the ads to exist without it killing the game. they just need to iron out the kinks.

we already know there's a huge memory leak. if the video's are what's causing that leak, then all they need to do is patch the leak and then the game will run fine videos and all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eh, I'd rather have that banner or something in the titlescreen just like they did for the first DLC rather than a vid that needs to be downloaded over and over (why anyway? Just download all vids on game start and play them from the harddrive ffs) and I wish I could turn them off.

Upvote 0
Nice find! I played offline on normal settings with 70+ fps again...freaking awesome. This would explain why my comp lags very hard on the start of online game. See i am on a weak DSL connection, not by choice but its the only high speed internet provider in the mountains where i live in southern california.

I guess now the problem is, i only play always online with others as i dont find beating a game by myself all that interesting, it's like beating the coding which just isnt as fun to me...their are many variables that go along with online gaming, but I know that i and many others only play multiplayer game or none at all! TWI needs to be considerate to those with slower connections! This is making lot of sense why i have been hating the first round of KF...i wonder what else is being transfered when ingame by the new adware?

BTW i didnt know there was an RO video until like 25 maps load in! it takes to long and the vids do not load, since im norally the last one to load within the 15 seconds that it take to ready up i just never got a chance to see...major issue IMO! btw i finally saw it and it takes almost a full minute of waiting in the lobby for the vid to pop up. Not efficient at all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, then there's no point collecting your ip. They need you to download each time so they can confirm you're the real deal and not some fancy cowboy TWI make up to take their money. It's rude, but it's business, man...

Apparently business will ruin their future business, unless fixed this will be the last TWI game i ever buy! I can run 70+ fps off line but i cant run 20 FPS online...tell me where the line is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, then there's no point collecting your ip. They need you to download each time so they can confirm you're the real deal and not some fancy cowboy TWI make up to take their money. It's rude, but it's business, man...

not worth it if it's making people this pissed off. you can't just ignore it and label it as "business" when it's making the game near unplayable.

Upvote 0
again, i will be first to say i think the idea is great....putting it into action, so far, has not been so great. if the process can be revised so that it doesn't kill performance then everyone is happy.

the question is, with this Massive or whatever it is....from my understanding everytime that a player loads a map they load a video from them, their server/hosting/database whatever....that way it tracks hits/clicks/loads because that's all part of the advertising deal.

why not just make it so the videos are integrated as part of the game package so you load them up locally from your hard drive while you load up all the other game files?

the problem isn't the files, it's the fact that 25000 others are ALSO trying to load at the same time. it would be like 25000 players all joining the same RO server and all of them have to download the same custom map at the same time......can only imagine how rediculous the lag would be if you were in the server while thousands were still downloading trying to get in. that's basically what seems to be going on here.

if massive needs a way to track ips to confirm players or however that works, they need to find another way of doing it....one that doesn't require 25000, 10000, or even 500 players to all download the same videos from what is most likely the same location.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weird (or good) thing is, it doesn't even show me the Ads. First I didn't know what the heck you guys were talking about when I read about ingame Ads here, but after seeing a screenshot with such an Ad I checked it in my KF and saw that there's no advertisement for me at all.

Dunno what could cause this, but I have no problem with it ^^

Upvote 0
Apparently business will ruin their future business, unless fixed this will be the last TWI game i ever buy! I can run 70+ fps off line but i cant run 20 FPS online...tell me where the line is?
The ad loading will affect only your map-loading progress, and I'm pretty sure not your gaming experience. Check your back again.

Again, I want to say that if they store the video locally, that's possible. But then, in best-case, TWI will have to roll out weekly update, just to update the video. No company want to show off old movies, right? Weekly update? Think back about when the whitelist is update thru Steam.

Worst-case, TWI will have to remove the ad, because Massive is no longer interested in the deal with TWI. Which is, even worst than me withstanding the long loading progress. At least, I know I'll have new guns to play with sooner or later.

Right now, I believe that TWI force the video to fully loaded before allow ppl get to the lobby to prevent lag at beginning of the map like this:
sometimes when the following (has happened to me 5+ times)...i dont get the hiccup if the advertisement starts after, but sometimes everybody readies up before my freeze when the video loads occurs...this has lead to mean spawning with no perk, cause i never got to choose, in the lower corner, or no guns when im all lvl 5's (except medic, so i should spawn something right?). No instead i start with a pistol, no perk in the right corner, and if u press tab it shows no perk next to my name)...http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37186
My suggestion is that TWI apply streaming technique, and force everyone to watch the movies before beable to click ready. Technically speaking, this doesnt improve anything. but we'll get to the lobby sooner and we can chat and do stuff while waiting for the movies to load, which will make ppl think we're faster.

And I suggest we should withstand this. I understand your rage, but if we're lag enough, maybe Massive will see this model works, and they'll diver more bandwith to this movies trailers thing.

Trust me when I say this, movies trailer, while is *video* per se and makes things slower, is still a lot better than those Flash/Gif/Text ads around the net. At least, there's no vi@gra things here.

Upvote 0
My suggestion is that TWI apply streaming technique, and force everyone to watch the movies before be able to click ready.

we tested this in our clan server with 6 players. we tried having everyone wait til the video was over and loaded before we would hit ready. only one problem....for 2/6 people the ad never loaded. waited 5 minutes in the lobby without it loading for them and said enough, let's get going. of course, our first 30-60 secs was extremely lagging, which i believe is because those two that didn't get their video loaded, they were still loading it as we were playing.

Technically speaking, this doesnt improve anything.

exactly! the problem isn't just the people in the server you're in, it's the fact that all the players in all the servers (+ even the players in online solo mode) are all connecting to the same source to download the videos. think youtube.....if say 1000 people are all trying to download the same video at the same time, you're download is going to be slower. granted those with higher end computers and more RAM will load faster but it will still be slower than if you were the only one downloading the file.

and they'll diver more bandwith to this movies trailers thing.

taadaa!

or

store the videos locally and find another means of tracking hits (player ips)

Trust me when I say this, movies trailer, while is *video* per se and makes things slower, is still a lot better than those Flash/Gif/Text ads around the net. At least, there's no vi@gra things here.

thank god! that's the only reason why i'm not raging as bad as some others! that and the fact i have 4GB of RAM and load times aren't THAT bad for me :D

Upvote 0
If you take a look at my other topic, here http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37562, I wrote that the situation today is better. And as of today, there's 6k ppl on kf, So it's completely reasonable to hope that in the days to come, the game will be better.

Only one thing left, I've heard of many who have lag during the map and not just wave 1. I cant replicate it on my machine, so...

Upvote 0
yep people will still experience lag throughout the entire round....that also seems to be a result of the possibility that you are still connected to the "network" or whatever that is providing the download. so you've got your vid loaded, but while you're playing others are loading videos too, thus causing lag when it gets overloaded.

the player decrease has helped quite a bit, not as much as we'd like, but better. however, if you want to keep a ton of players and use the ad system, it still needs to be refined. say it doesnt get fixed, next free weekend, 25000 again and we'll all be back in the same boat

Upvote 0