• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Warhammer 40k Skins & Models

Way too much negativity for the new space marine game in this thread, how few decent 40k game have we had in the past? Aslong as the wh40k IP is getting more popular it should be good news all round. Plus its been made by relic who did DoW which is, not only the best 40k strategy game to date but also one of the best strategy games out!

I would even go asfar to say relic alone have pushed the wh40k IP into the limelight with their success with dow, afterall everybody had long forgotten space hulk and fire warrior was hardly a triple A title.

Besides, start reading some of the 40k books.. there is plenty of times where lone space marines end up fighting against the odds and even then the game is (if i remember one of the developer interviews correctly) based around a small squard of marines so is easily within the realms of fluff, afterall a droppod only holds what, four marines? The combat in the trailer does look slightly over the top but as far as i am aware it is more than possible for a marine to carve through orcs with ease, TT point differences alone represent that, a marine army is much smaller than most other races because of their sheer power.

The 40k nerds should be more forgiving, GW is probably having a hard time as is and i'd say right now its probably making more money from the loyaties of videogames than it is from its tabletop figures, i know 2 GW's that have closed down near me and with the recent price hikes and the economic downturn i wouldn't be surprised atall if GW would of disappeared by now was it not for its recent boon in popularity.

How about wait untill the game is out before judging it?

Upvote 0
...Erm? Rambo-ing it? It shows several spess mahreens in turn. It's [supposedly] going to have MP co-op...

I can see how you would go "wtf rambo spess mahreens" when watching the trailer, but it's kind of hard to give much focus on the mahreen with the Thunder Hammer when there's one heavy boltering all the orks in the face. The captain [sergeant? thing.] bit just seemed to be there to give us an idea of a QTE, if that's what it was, and not just a special killling animation like I presume the facestomp was.

Mostly, I'm interested in how the ranged combat is intended to mesh with the melee in multiplayer and the like. Also, stomping ork heads. That is beautiful.

It looks like it's got a lot of influence from GoW, but I suppose I'll just wait and see. If it's bad, it's bad. If it's not, 40K-lovers win, right?

Upvote 0
The 40k nerds should be more forgiving, GW is probably having a hard time as is and i'd say right now its probably making more money from the loyaties of videogames than it is from its tabletop figures, i know 2 GW's that have closed down near me and with the recent price hikes and the economic downturn i wouldn't be surprised atall if GW would of disappeared by now was it not for its recent boon in popularity.

Games Workshop was in real financial trouble before, but according to their investor report is doing pretty good now. The main thing they did to cut costs was to shut down all the GW stores that were losing money.

Upvote 0
Games Workshop was in real financial trouble before, but according to their investor report is doing pretty good now. The main thing they did to cut costs was to shut down all the GW stores that were losing money.

So they're doing well now they have become slightly more popular thanks to certain games been in the limelight, who'd of thunk it?!?!

Didn't you just confirm what i said up there?

In a nutshell;

-GW IP Popularity = win/win situation

-Comparing all action games to gow = fail/fail nerdtears

Upvote 0
A couple of in game screenies just to present the direction the skins are heading. They're not going to exact replicas. In fact, I'm not totally sure how a Cadian Trooper should appear in its purist form as there are so many different versions displayed on official publicity pics. Maybe the Warhammer experts can give some directions.

war2.jpg

Upvote 0
thx mamoo. That reflective eye visor looks awesome and really keeps the troopers' anonymity.

If nothing else, do like Dawn of War and give the helment a glossy black visor. Having the eyes exposed like they are right now just looks off. No offense!

The rest is looking great. It is odd to see a IG trooper with an AK, though! I'm used to seeing 'em with the Flaslights... Or dead next to a flashlight.

Upvote 0