• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Body realism

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Results of my experiments

1 . PRONE

I got short stick (0,5m) to simulate weapon in my hands. I find that its very hard and painfull to prone with both hands on weapon. Especialy if ground is not flat ... Also some times my stick get away from my hands and that is not all it take time to aim if you prone, I mean deadly long time. Dont try it at home it hurts like hell. There is better way, just use one hand to hit the ground and keep your second hand on weapon. Its working, but also its 2-3x times slower than instant prone in RO ostfront. Also it takes little time to aim your weaon, you must kneel too before it.
CONCLUSION: Prone style like Max Payne is not realistic, its very painfull, it could disable you for some minutes - includes screaming of pain and also its not good if you want shoot fast after it. You must use one hand to hit ground but its slow, enemy will shoot you faster than you if you are close. Standing after proning is also little slower.

2. WALL SMASH WITH BODY
I think that you can imagine results of smash with wall (it depends on speed, also you can use hands on the wall to slow your body). If you are running you cant move by same speed due to walls, sometimes you must move very carefully. There is also big deal if you hit wall while running by your arms. Head is important too, if you dont crouch in right time your head will know it very soon ...

Last edited:
Hey PETERPANs your experiments are very interesting and useful, is there any chance that you could create some video references? i.e film yourself conducting these vital experiments? It would be of great interest to this society. Thank you for all your hard work and sacrifices, you are a true soldier!

Upvote 0
At least I could prone in less than a second while I was in the army. Though we did practise diving during basic training (yes, diving).

YouTube - Tetsaus on jees
Looks funny yes, probably some fresh pioneers or something :F
But the key is not to land on your knees (like some do in that vid)

This guy's way better YouTube - tetsaus :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At least I could prone in less than a second while I was in the army. Though we did practise diving during basic training (yes, diving).

YouTube - Tetsaus on jees
Looks funny yes, probably some fresh pioneers or something :F
But the key is not to land on your knees (like some do in that vid)

This guy's way better YouTube - tetsaus :D

Try it on rubble or concrete-brick surface (stalingrad).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there already is kinda pain simulation, like when u get shot and u slow down... that annoys the sh@#$@ outa me, u get shot in the leg but u can't dive to the ground, u kinda just stand there like a possum in the headlights waiting to get hit... haha or when u fall down 3 steps and snap your legs off and die... well.. that's not pain simulation, but its kinda body realism.

Upvote 0
An important suggestion for TWI

An important suggestion for TWI

In RO:OST the player can move aroung in prone while having his weapon sighted. This is absolutely impossible.

In RO:HOS it needs to be changed, so if the player starts moving even a little he needs to use his arms to do it so the weapon will be lowered to the ground,

Upvote 0
In RO:OST the player can move aroung in prone while having his weapon sighted. This is absolutely impossible.

In RO:HOS it needs to be changed, so if the player starts moving even a little he needs to use his arms to do it so the weapon will be lowered to the ground,

Yeh totally. I was mildly disappointed when I first discovered that

Upvote 0
This brings up memories. I remember I had to throw myself into the barbwire.
Sound weird but true. Gloves on coat high closed i had to let myself drop into the barbwire. The wire bumped in and the rest of the platoon use my back as a step. Funny how a topic like this brings up over 20 year old memories.

I saw a documentary about this technique being developed by the diggers in WW1 I think. I don't think they were wearing any protective clothing though. :p

Upvote 0
i've found some other recorded experiments for wall collision!!!

YouTube - lil kid runs into wall

as you can tell, it obviously will hurt to run into a wall, and the subject was rendered motionless for a full 5 seconds before he was able to recover and get to his feet! :D

sorry about the joke, but the wording and tone of the first post was just too funny to not post that video :)

anyway, the suggestion actually does have a decent point. i also hope that body movement and animations for going to prone, crouch, stand, crawling etc... will all be improved. like the dolphin dive for example....in real life you can dive like that, but most people probably don't land like they do in RO because it would hurt. hopefully it's more realistic for HOS.

as for the collision stuff.....most people aren't going to go slamming into walls at full speed. i can see the issues with say, falling from a second floor and injuring your legs or something along those lines. if they are adding in gun collision, i'd assume there would be body collision as well.

Upvote 0