• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any new technologies in RO HOS?

THe game uses nvidia's physX, only issue being that ati videocards do not support that. So for gameplay changing features like full blownout physics you would need ati to support it as well or the market would probably be too small.

Multiplayer netcode wise it might be an issue as well although i dont know exactly how much that is there.

PhysX can do a lot but untill the majority of the markets videocards supports it, i personally doubt that twi or other developers will use it for major stuff.

Upvote 0
No, you dont, without the hardware, PhysX would run as software emulation.
It's not like you would get different or less physics effects without a physX-able card.

And PhysX IS the physics engine on UE3. Its not like there is something like "oh, physX is too hard on the consumers PC, lets use the base physics XY pack instead".

Upvote 0
No, you dont, without the hardware, PhysX would run as software emulation.
It's not like you would get different or less physics effects without a physX-able card.

And PhysX IS the physics engine on UE3. Its not like there is something like "oh, physX is too hard on the consumers PC, lets use the base physics XY pack instead".

Of course the physx engine will be used, im not talking about that. Thats what i opened with. I was talking about the hardware acceleration of it.

To get similar effects to his video with physX (as physx is actually capable of it) you need to run physx hardware accelerated or things will run as slow as a crawl even on quad core processors.

As old ageia ppu's and nvidia video cards are dissalowed to accelerate physics when an ati videocard is the primary renderer. This means that if you got a ati videocard you're down to software physics. And with software physics its impossible with playable framerates on ati cards to get what he is wanting.

And its not likely that the developers will shaft all users that got an ati videocard. Unless physx hardware acceleration is ported over to openCL or that cuda support is added to ati videocards. Its highly unlikely to see full blown physics in effect like the destruction of that castle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it will not be included, it is really demanding for the server and clients (bandwidth and processing) to replicate the exact same behaviour.

At this level of physics the videos are showing, you need to have the exact same thing on all machines, Imagine a hole created on a wall that one guy can't pass but another can because on his pc simulation the hole ended up bigger.

Upvote 0