• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Degeneration WAVE BASED V1

KiCk3R

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Shropshire UK
Howdy!

As promised, a safe and normal wave based map!

This will be the first time i have released a map in retail KF with the KF mode gametype.

KF-DegenerationWBV1.rom
There is much more room for improvement, and i am hoping i will get some solid feedback.

So if you have any suggestions and most importantly feedback, i would enjoy to read it :)

Playable: YES
Lagging: NO :)

Download:Mirror1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U8OZLSKS
Mirror2 http://www.filefront.com/14364779/KF-DegenerationWBV1.rar

Last edited:
it's a bit confusing yes - because it seems that some think all you ever will map will be hive maps.

kicker is pretty godlike in that sense, hes up there with the greats of kf

-alex, of course.
-robot, he just kicks *** and a good friend.
-kyben, great maps, really love swamps/marshes and prison.
-maul, love his criticism, he knows what hes talking about
-shinobi, great guy, lots of crazy ideas come from him. also a good friend.
-kicker, spending so much time making hive for kf mod.

probably missing a few other godlike ppl from this list but whatever, to me theyre awesome...

PS: i will check out degeneration and see how things go, youre just looking for major bugs right???

Upvote 0
yes hes a good guy, but GODLIKE??????????? man compare his maps with the factory maps from TW....he compleaty lacks detail and gameplay flow. All his maps are simple ideas... and have compleatly simple layouts.
If he was to actully spend time in making maps instead of making 1 map a week, then he would have potential

Last edited:
Upvote 0
kicker is pretty godlike in that sense, hes up there with the greats of kf

-alex, of course.
-robot, he just kicks *** and a good friend.
-kyben, great maps, really love swamps/marshes and prison.
-maul, love his criticism, he knows what hes talking about
-kicker, spending so much time making hive for kf mod.

probably missing a few other godlike ppl from this list but whatever, to me theyre awesome...

PS: i will check out degeneration and see how things go, youre just looking for major bugs right???

Glad to see you like people that are in my clan and other friends clan. I've been with KF since 1.0 and known Kyben and Robot since around 2.0 release time. Maul showed up at 2.5 and was an amazing mapper. Kicker was added into our clan around 2.5 and was a great addition. Now we map together. I don't touch his Hive map because I like to give him his respect for his great work and not to say how it should be.

PS: I worked on the map too, I've been gone but I am back now. I will try and test it in 5 mins with yea kicker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just tested this and found many bugs. Specimens kept spawning during the trader time, the trader clock stopped @ 01:23 (was testing the map on beginner). At some point I crossed a detection device and an alarm siren triggered more specimens (again, during the trader time). There's an invisible wall next to the 1st trader (Gate 1 or something). You can't go beyond that. I noticed some lag, especially when I killed some specimens. You should cancel your white list request and test it thoroughly with some people. Also you could add some music while you're at it... Like the new tracks from KF-Foundry etc.

Upvote 0
"Specimens kept spawning during the trader time, the trader clock stopped @ 01:23 (was testing the map on beginner). At some point I crossed a detection device and an alarm siren triggered more specimens (again, during the trader time)"

That meant to happen ;)
Catch you off guard! (this doesnt effect the gameplay in anyway)

"There's an invisible wall next to the 1st trader (Gate 1 or something)"

That is the end of the map, i have not increased the size any more.
If you want to go futher, i can extend it if you want.

"Also you could add some music while you're at it... Like the new tracks from KF-Foundry etc"

It has got music in the map, however i forgot to tell it to carry on past 4 waves :D

"I noticed some lag, especially when I killed some specimens"

Lag doesnt seem to be an issue to me, i cant see it.
Are you testing on Solo or Hosting / Client?

Thanks for your feedback :) 1st one SO far.

Upvote 0
We need to know your system specs too. I have a crossfire going on and have 60FPS with no issues.

So before saying these issues we need more info on your computer. I see because you do post a lot in maps saying game is laggy so on so forth but with no Specs of your computer. Once we have that it will be easier to address your issues.

Upvote 0
yes hes a good guy, but GODLIKE??????????? man compare his maps with the factory maps from TW....he compleaty lacks detail and gameplay flow. All his maps are simple ideas... and have compleatly simple layouts.
If he was to actully spend time in making maps instead of making 1 map a week, then he would have potential

Map maker's envy is one of life's greater evils and merely serves to lead poor misguided souls along a downward spiraling dark and lonely path that only has one outcome...that of infinite pain and sorrow.

Upvote 0
We need to know your system specs too. I have a crossfire going on and have 60FPS with no issues.

So before saying these issues we need more info on your computer. I see because you do post a lot in maps saying game is laggy so on so forth but with no Specs of your computer. Once we have that it will be easier to address your issues.
Well I don't have a monster PC, no SLI or Crossfire and I don't think that should be required for a game running on UE 2.5 - My specs: AMD X2 6000+ CPU, 2 gigs of RAM and a GeForce 9600GT. My issues can't be adressed since my PC is clean, optimized etc. (no antivirus, no useless programs or tasks etc.) Well I could probably lower the settings but it's not worth it for 1 map only. The lag was not huge but it was noticeable. So far I've only got lag in KF-CornerMarket and this map.

@K1Ck3R,

Does the trader clock work again after a while? For me it just stopped @ 01:23...

Aren't there multiple traders that will require moving around the map?

I haven't tested the map thoroughly, those were my 1st impressions.

Upvote 0
Well I don't have a monster PC, no SLI or Crossfire and I don't think that should be required for a game running on UE 2.5 - My specs: AMD X2 6000+ CPU, 2 gigs of RAM and a GeForce 9600GT. My issues can't be adressed since my PC is clean, optimized etc. (no antivirus, no useless programs or tasks etc.) Well I could probably lower the settings but it's not worth it for 1 map only. The lag was not huge but it was noticeable. So far I've only got lag in KF-CornerMarket and this map.

@K1Ck3R,

Does the trader clock work again after a while? For me it just stopped @ 01:23...

Aren't there multiple traders that will require moving around the map?

I haven't tested the map thoroughly, those were my 1st impressions.

Still need your OS

Upvote 0
Still need your OS
Does it really matter? I don't get any lag in Bioshock for example (which was built on UE 2.5 with UE3 features etc.) I don't get any lag in Left 4 Dead, I don't even get such a lag in Unreal Tournament 3. Are you sure it's not an optimization problem on your part? Maybe the map puts a lot of pressure on UE 2.5 which wasn't designed for such maps? Well my OS is Win XP SP3.

Upvote 0
The map uses Antiportals / Zones / Cull Distants. I dont know any more to optimize it :confused:

The triangle count in the static meshes is of a lower amount compared to maps from TW.
So im confused!

And its even more confusing when people with a better spec machine than me get lag lol!

Ok, so it takes about 10 minutes to build the map. Perhaps its a problem with the spotlights. Degeneration uses alot of spotlights. Along with Triggerlights. But alot of that content it shut off when you are near an antiportal (and there are a HELL load of them : look in the editor ;) )

So, im out of ideas!

Im going back to rot in Hive :D

EDIT: sorry forgot to reply to Deniz.

The clock should continue when you take out them specimens. It has done for me, and with other servers ive play tested on.

At the moment, ive only added 2 traders in the map. But if lag seems to be a problem i cant extend the map . lulz!

im stuck!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0