• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

the AK47 recoil vs Thrash242's AK recoil thread

I started my night off playing with a lev 5 Commando to test the AK. After about an hour and a few maps, I came to the conclusion that the AK for me was better used as a "back up" weapon similar to the HS for the Support Spec or the dual HC's for the Sharpie. Yes, it has a bit more power than the BullPup, but as for accuracy and recoil, I didn't like it very much. I would still rather be a lev 5 Sharpie. I think it will do well for those Commando's that have not yet reached lev 5, but I for one have no regrets choosing to lev my Commando to lev 5 before the AK patch...:D

Upvote 0
the brass poping outa the side of the gun is wrong though, hehe

How?

This is an AK Firing:

akfire.gif

The AK in Killing Floor does exactly this. The cartridges upject up and to the right.

Upvote 0
it's a freakin' AK for pete's sake, it kicks

Have you ever fired one? I have. I own one. They don't have much recoil. More than an M16, yeah--but less than a battle rifle or hunting rifle or shotgun by a significant margin.

In reply to gusone, I never started a thread about AK recoil. You said something like AKs kicking like a mule, and I said that was far from true.

In response to the question about recoil, it seems fine. It recoils more than the bullpup, which it should, but it doesn't recoil too much.

Some people seem to think it shoots some massively powerful rounds or something when in fact, it doesn't. I blame movies and video games.

Here is a visual comparison. From left to right, it's a 30.06 (common hunting rifle round), 7.62 NATO (M14 and several machine guns), and 7.62x39mm (what the AK fires).

Upvote 0
Realistically, the recoil is perfect. It's awesome. When you're looking down the sights and firing one, it just sort of bounces backwards against you. It feels surprisingly true to RL. I've never shot one full auto, but in semi it's dead on. I wish it had a proper stock, but this game seems to like shooting from the hip.

In game balance, it's pretty good. I can't hit crap with it at range, so I still get a bullpup for head-shotting the little guys. The AK replaced dual handcannons as my heavy backup weapon, and that's exactly what I was hoping for. (I hate handcannons) I've been commando full time (except round 1) and it's great to switch over to the AK to kill chainsaw guys, or blow through particularly thick packs of spiders. I'm sure over time as I begin to suck less, I'll be able to headshot gorefasts with it outside of melee range, but even in the meantime, I'm happy.

I do really wish they had put the AK on button 4 instead of sharing button 3 with the bullpup. It sucks to have to cycle through them after switching to the knife or welder or whatever. 4 is just for the crossbow and flamethrower, right? Why not scoot it over?

Upvote 0
Good to know, but I'd still rather have the control of the weapons being on separate buttons. If I'm shooting the AK, want to heal, then switch to the bullpup, I can't do it without cycling through the AK. And if zed-time pops up, it's a frustrating button mash frenzy since half the time a weapon switch won't work during zed-time (Also voice binds don't seem to work during zed-time either, the built in "get to trader" "look out" "thanks" type of binds)

I'm sure I could get some kind of custom config that binds my 3 key to "use bullpup" and 4 to "use AK" but that would not be good for playing other perks, and is too complicated for me.

Can you carry a flame thrower and AK? What about crossbow and AK? If so, I can see not wanting to inconvenience the other perks with the AK on "their" button, but if you can't have both, then it makes sense to have the AK on the (unused, for me) strong weapon button 4.

It's a minor issue, sure, but so was fixing the ellipsis on the loading screen tip =)

Upvote 0
Can you carry a...
Support Specs got 22kg free. Hunter shotgun + Crossbow. Flamer + AK47 + Lever Action Rifle. Crossbow + Shotgun + Katana etc...

AK47 is not really a "special" weapon though. It is more of a 6kg Bullpup with more damage per bullet, more recoil and less ammo per magazine. As a commando you can actually use either as your primary weapon (and back it up with for example handcannons and a katana - or even bring both primary weapons for a total of 870 bullets of spray n pray love).

Hunter shotgun IS a special weapon used for special situations. Same with crossbow and LAW.

Flamethrower is a "primary weapon" for firebugs - but then again a flamethrower is pretty special weapon in it self i guess...?

Upvote 0