• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Various suggestions from {Core}Metalhead

Metalhead

May 3, 2009
Hey it's my first post on these forums, I want to say what I'd wish to see implemented in RO:HOS; I read most of the "ideas and suggestions" posts but don't be mad at me if I post ideas that have already been discussed :)

I see RO:HOS as the sequel of RO, that means to me that it has to ressemble RO but enhance the gameplay and correct some of RO problems.

MG ROLE

First of all and like many players suggested on these forums, I'd like to see in RO:HOS a very good suppression fire system like the one in darkest hour for example. IMO it really is a good addition it reinforces the role of the mg at covering partners and putting on the ground ennemies and blocking them which is obsolete at RO cause the standard motion blur effects can't prevent pixel sniping from riflemen and snipers. I believe this addition would be liked by the players and is easy to do

As an MG player I always thought that the deploying time was way too fast, IMO it should be longer and with the suppresion fire system it should make the mg class look like one :) Dangerous when set up and firing at an area, very vulnerable when undeployed and/or reloading.

SMG's vs RIFLES

What always annoyed me in RO is that the smg class is absolutely underrated at a point where on the highest competitive matches some skilled riflemen can easily match the ennemy assault troopers on close range fights while they absolutely destroy them on long range combat.
This feeling is also highly reinforced by the pop-up bug... I think that the measures that could even those two classes is too

-Make hipshoting with the rifle more difficult (it's very easy to hipshot at the moment, some players can hit like 60% of the time when they hipshot which is ridiculous)
-Add the suppression fire system ( again this is very important point )
-Less recoil for smgers (especially when knees put on the ground)
-no pop-up bug for RO:HOS (but I guess there won't be such a bug )

CLOSE COMBAT

The most ridiculous thing I ever encountered in RO is when you come behind a guy , stab him on the back hurt him but the guy is still able to turn back and shot you back!
The second most ridiculous thing is when you bash a guy 6 times and that he doesn't die
The third one is when you're making circles with your opponent trying to stab him but can't hit him while the guy is reloading and kill you when it's done.
The fourth is when the guy is prone and that you're struggling to bash/stab him.

What I suggest is that RO:HOS works with a completely different system about hand to hand combat with much more easyness for the player to stab/bash and more power ! Also when a player loses all his weapons it could be nice to use a knife or fists I don't know but I feel totally naked when I lost my weapons and I can't even try to get behind an ennemy and strangulate him that's lame :(
I don't know how developpers could do that, maybe an automatic sights when you prepare a stabbing/bashing attack so that you don't miss, or at a certain distance you cannot miss. I don't know, what would be ideal is invent a system that could easily let the player kill somebody on close combat but could make last two ennemies fighting in such ways. I don't if it's possible to find a good compromise though....

Thx you for reading this, I might add other suggestions in the future, I had thought a lot about it, just wrote it dow what came to my mind right now :)

SMG's vs RIFLES

What always annoyed me in RO is that the smg class is absolutely underrated at a point where on the highest competitive matches some skilled riflemen can easily match the ennemy assault troopers on close range fights while they absolutely destroy them on long range combat.

Completely disagree. I usually get stuck playing as a rifleman and I absolutely dread coming into close range fights with SMGers. It's hard enough to win a close in fight against an smg as it is now (COUGHspamCOUGH), it definitely doesn't need to be made harder.

Upvote 0
i would like to add... u think deploying ur MG is realistic... just flip down ur bi-pod and place the MG on (whatever)

i would also like to be able to crouch down behind the wall that i am shooting from... being exposed when reloading doesn't seem very... well realistic

last thing... when u drop ur weapon... ur ammo pouches don't fall off ur belt! that is the biggest problem i have with the game... even when u die ur ammo pouches should still be on ur body... and must be taken off by whoever wants ur ammo...

overall i like most of you ideas.....

oh.... just thought of something else... what about if two ppl bash each other at the same time it turns into kinda a brawl.... not just two guys around around each other in a circle... but like in the add for Call of Duty 3 or something like that... were u are actually fighting and struggling with the guy u are fighting with

Upvote 0
MG ROLE

First of all and like many players suggested on these forums, I'd like to see in RO:HOS a very good suppression fire system like the one in darkest hour for example.

DHs suppresion is way to choppy... if there is going to be a suppresion system
it should work more smoothy maybe with an faster and stronger weaponsway instead of the jumpy IS of DH. but my thought about this are if there is going to be penetration, there is no need for suppression... i mean if you see a guys standing behind something in RO now, you fire and hope he pops into your line of fire... with penetration popuping is useless most of the times i guess ..just fire away and the guys behind the obj will retreat so he wont ge shot though the obj. so penetration would work like some kind of suppression-system dont you think?

As an MG player I always thought that the deploying time was way too fast,
deploying an mg is no science... just rest your mg and fire away... bipod folding would be a solution to increase the deployment time. but is it really needed to increase deploying time? i dont think so. its long enough as it is now..

SMG's vs RIFLES

This feeling is also highly reinforced by the pop-up bug... I think that the measures that could even those two classes is too

-Make hipshoting with the rifle more difficult (it's very easy to hipshot at the moment, some players can hit like 60% of the time when they hipshot which is ridiculous)
-Add the suppression fire system ( again this is very important point )
-Less recoil for smgers (especially when knees put on the ground)
-no pop-up bug for RO:HOS (but I guess there won't be such a bug )

hip shooting is good as it is, the problem is the recentering of the rifle buy sprinting... if your weapon woulddnt center after sprint hipping would not be as easy anymore. recentering weapon should only be possible though weaponswitch (weaponswitching should take some time) or going into Ironsights.

SMG should have less recoil that is true.. but i'd like to see some kind of dynamic recoil and not this pull the trigger = weapon goes up till you stop pulling the trigger.. by dynamic i mean something like this.
you pull the trigger:
-first shot is as acurate as smg can be
-SMG goes up pretty strong for the next few shots
-the longer you hold the trigger the lower the recoil gets

CLOSE COMBAT

The most ridiculous thing I ever encountered in RO is when you come behind a guy , stab him on the back hurt him but the guy is still able to turn back and shot you back!
The second most ridiculous thing is when you bash a guy 6 times and that he doesn't die
The third one is when you're making circles with your opponent trying to stab him but can't hit him while the guy is reloading and kill you when it's done.
The fourth is when the guy is prone and that you're struggling to bash/stab him.
jup

Also when a player loses all his weapons it could be nice to use a knife
i would also like to see a knife for all classes (dont know if every soldier had one)
you should be able to select your knife (bayo for rifleman)... if you attach it, youshouldnt be able to select it anymore unless you detach it again and if you lose your weapon(with attached bayo), you should end up with nothing like now in RO

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One very improtant suggestion for TWI team. In RO:OST the weapon does not sway when it is rested on the shoulder and the player is moving!

This is why so many kills are earned without using the iron sights. If during movement, the weapon swayed in the shouldered mode, it would be much more balanced and authentic for gameplay purposes. At the moment a lot of shots are fired without using iron sights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One very improtant suggestion for TWI team. In RO:OST the weapon sways in iron sight mode when the player is walking, but it does not sway when it is rested on the shoulder!

This is why so many kills are earned without using the iron sights. If during movement, the weapon swayed in the shouldered mode, it would be much more balanced and authentic for gameplay purposes. At the moment a lot of shots are fired without using iron sights.
All weapons sway during iron sight mode.

Upvote 0
The weapon isn't shouldered it's at the hip. You won't get sway when your weapon is rested at the hip.

The weapon is at the hip for the 3d model, but when you are playing in first person, it is too high to be at the hip. It looks as if it is rested at the shoulder..

Bolt action rifles are never fired from the hip. Even in emergencies they are raised to the shoulder before the shot.

Even is it is at the "hip" it does not shake when the player is running which allows him to shoot with deadly accuracy. I have fired pellets from a bolt action rifle and you will never hit anywhere near the target when you lower it to the hip. Shooting from the hip while running is laughable and should not be in a game of Red Orchestra calibre.

So: 1)Shouldered and Sighted for bolts only
2)Sway in both modes

Upvote 0
The weapon is at the hip for the 3d model, but when you are playing in first person, it is too high to be at the hip. It looks as if it is rested at the shoulder..

Bolt action rifles are never fired from the hip. Even in emergencies they are raised to the shoulder before the shot.

Even is it is at the "hip" it does not shake when the player is running which allows him to shoot with deadly accuracy. I have fired pellets from a bolt action rifle and you will never hit anywhere near the target when you lower it to the hip. Shooting from the hip while running is laughable and should not be in a game of Red Orchestra calibre.

So: 1)Shouldered and Sighted for bolts only
2)Sway in both modes
It's still useless to fire a bolt action shouldered without looking down the sights. In HOS you should be only able to shoot bolt actions with iron sights or scope.

Upvote 0
It's still useless to fire a bolt action shouldered without looking down the sights. In HOS you should be only able to shoot bolt actions with iron sights or scope.

You are absolutely right. This is how they were used in the war.

I have another suggestion from this discussion! Since holding up a long weapon like Kar98K will tire your arms and increase the sway.. how about by default the weapon is lowered to the ground. This allows you to (a) rest arms and get rid of weapon sway and (b) become a less visible target.

If you press aim, then it toggles to iron sight mode. If you press shoot when it is lowered to the ground, it still switches to iron sight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rifles/Hipshooting:
metalhead is right. hipshooting is way too easy. for those saying rifles are still "weak" against smgers, you've obviously not played against good bolters.....at long range, bolt wins. at mid range, bolt wins. even for some people, at close range, bolt wins. hipshooting needs to be allowed, period. those who say "it didn't/doesn't happen in war", you are crazy because it did. however, there is no way it would be as easy as it is in RO. needs to be more realistic, not taken away.

SMGs:
agreed that smgs should have less recoil, even though from time to time you see people running around spraying a ppsh with absolutely no recoil whatsoever. actually there are youtube videos of people with no recoil.....never quite understood how they could do that :rolleyes:

MGs:
mgs seem to be ok right now, but suppression fire is desperately needed.

Melee:
+1 for knife, fists, bayo, shovel, something for melee when your weapon is out. also, there shouldn't be an immediate switch to pistol/grenades right after your gun gets shot out. i can't tell you how frustrating it is to shoot a guy's weapon out and he immediately kills you with his pistol. completely unrealistic. also agree with bayo/bashing. you just hit a guy in the shoulder or even head and he doesn't immediately die......well ok, he should have at least been knocked out. stabbing is even worse. if i just stabbed you in the back or arm/shoulder it would be impossible for you to immediately turn around and shoot me back.

all very good points metalhead.

Upvote 0
DHs suppresion is way to choppy... if there is going to be a suppresion system
it should work more smoothy maybe with an faster and stronger weaponsway instead of the jumpy IS of DH. but my thought about this are if there is going to be penetration, there is no need for suppression... i mean if you see a guys standing behind something in RO now, you fire and hope he pops into your line of fire... with penetration popuping is useless most of the times i guess ..just fire away and the guys behind the obj will retreat so he wont ge shot though the obj. so penetration would work like some kind of suppression-system dont you think?

IMO DH suppression is nearly perfect. The idea is that you're reacting to individual shots being fired at you, which is very realistic. I do however think that we need increased weapon sway on top of that.

Upvote 0
And hipshooting DID happen, but mainly in very close-quarters situations. It needs to be included, but in a more realistic way. The thing is that people can be brave in a game when in real life they would do the safest/smartest thing possible. Maybe in real life you could make that forty foot hipshot, but in reality you wouldn't take the chance. That's the problem. To solve that, just put in a good degree of sway alongside the usual free-aim...so you can still make mostly-accurate shots at close range, but not so much farther out. Simple.

Upvote 0
I just lost a big block of text right now... I'm a bit depressed about it , I'll try to answer you guys when I'm in the mood :/

To make it brief I was although thinking of those two additions it's nice you guys talked about it :)

-Reload while cover stance for mg
-Bullet penetration

-I think grenades should be less powerfull, they are too much powerfull in RO. I like the way it is in DH but maybe this time is a bit no enough powerfull xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just lost a big block of text right now... I'm a bit depressed about it , I'll try to answer you guys when I'm in the mood :/

To make it brief I was although thinking of those two additions it's nice you guys talked about it :)

-Reload while cover stance for mg
-Bullet penetration

-I think grenades should be less powerfull, they are too much powerfull in RO. I like the way it is in DH but maybe this time is a bit no enough powerfull xD

Grenades were very powerful in real life. Apparently a grenade could kill you (or at least severely wound you) from a longer distance than you could throw it. Of course, a piece of shrapnel would have to get lucky.

Whatever TWI does, it needs to be realistic.

Upvote 0
One thing that annoyed me about RO was that the bolt actions were always alot more accurate then the semi automatic rifles, this is very evident in the semi auto snipers, you can't hit **** with them. Semi automatic rifles should be nearly as accurate as the bolt actions as this is how it is in real life.

Upvote 0