• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design We need more Doom maps

Deniz

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
Someone should design more Doom maps :)
Seems like KF-Doom2 is a favorite among many players (at least that's what I noticed on my server). The Specimens and the way they behave fit the Doom levels nicely.

And no, I can't do it myself since it's not my domain, I don't know anything about designing maps etc.

Just a small suggestion from a KF player :)

is it legal to use dooms textures? im not tryna be a dick, im wondering cuz for a while i been remaking my own from scratch :(
you have to get permission from the designers AND have written proof that they let you use them.

AKA a written contract

this must be posted with your map, and keep in mind, an illegal contract (one that you made not them) will put you in jail and/or get you sued.

Upvote 0
you have to get permission from the designers AND have written proof that they let you use them.

AKA a written contract

this must be posted with your map, and keep in mind, an illegal contract (one that you made not them) will put you in jail and/or get you sued.
Erm. No.

You just need permission. If it isn't granted already (and in Doom's and almost every other game's case it isn't) you need to ask for permission by contacting them. How they grant that to you (in an email, on the phone, on a piece of paper, carved in stone, burned into a piece of wood, on a tape, on a record when played backwards, as a message in a bottle, on a scroll wrapped around a feathered arrow shot into your window at night, tatooed on a baby seal's forehead...) is completely up to them.
Whether they want you to you mention this in your readme (or other conditions) is completely up to them as well.

You don't just get sued out of the blue. You get sued by those who have the rights. If they granted you permission to use their content, they won't sue you for using it. Simple as that.

You also won't go to jail. Most likely you'll have to pay a lump of money if they sue.

The chances to actually get permissions should be pretty slim here. The game is still being sold and although numerous Doom engine ports exist, all the legal ones require you to own the original game before you can use them.
There is no reason why they would allow you to use their content but not the plethora of other Doom related projects out there.

Recreating the textures is your best bet. Morally and legally.

Upvote 0
ok im asking right now waiting for reply. the reason i dint ask if you download zdeamon u can extually play most doomwad free witch include doom2 monsters textures and all sounds. i made all maps from scratch. i dont really see why they should have a problem with it since im not making anymoney of it its just a fanmade. its like free publicity for the doom series. o well we see.:(

Upvote 0
ok im asking right now waiting for reply. the reason i dint ask if you download zdeamon u can extually play most doomwad free witch include doom2 monsters textures and all sounds. i made all maps from scratch. i dont really see why they should have a problem with it since im not making anymoney of it its just a fanmade. its like free publicity for the doom series. o well we see.:(

Well, if you don't intend on making any money like for the contest, and seeing how old the game is, you won't have any problem. It's more of a moral choice for you to make, like Murphy stated.

Upvote 0
nope i dont care about contest, if already started this before there was even a contest. im just a huge doom fan. and i love kf so whats better to play kf on a doom map. im also not taking any credit for the textures like in my last map i gave all the credits id software. +sprites. just hope all my work wont be for notting but will see.

Upvote 0
is it legal to use dooms textures? im not tryna be a dick, im wondering cuz for a while i been remaking my own from scratch :(

Thank you murphy...twice is good. :D

There is a Doom retexture project where some people redrew all the textures in high-res that are based on the originals. You could probably use those, since they're not made by id. They're made by someone though, so you'd have to check to see if it's ok.

Upvote 0