• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We need some kind of MG

Break out a Bren?! lol

This is modern day era mate, the police or army will not use a Bren gun! lol
I think riot shields should be used, this would allow you to push back the enemy and would allow you the shield to take a certain amount of damage which would be indicated by a shiled meter on the hud. Would protect you from the Puke of the Bloater aswell.

Keep it with the times. I think an MG would be good, but would be so heavy that you couldnt carry anything else, and only had room for 2 clips. Taht way you wouldnt waste it.

Upvote 0
Break out a Bren?! lol

This is modern day era mate, the police or army will not use a Bren gun! lol
I think riot shields should be used, this would allow you to push back the enemy and would allow you the shield to take a certain amount of damage which would be indicated by a shiled meter on the hud. Would protect you from the Puke of the Bloater aswell.

Keep it with the times. I think an MG would be good, but would be so heavy that you couldnt carry anything else, and only had room for 2 clips. Taht way you wouldnt waste it.
The police/army don't use lever action rifles and double barreled shotguns either. But hey they're still in the game.

Upvote 0
Presuming if someone would make MG in the game, making it HMG would be most reasonable that the guy needs to carry a tripod AND the HMG itself so that the tripod needs to be placed first before you setup MG on it and that eats up your carrying capacity as much as possible, making it usable on it's own in proper position while requiring friendly help to get covered and when reloading.

Also given proper price and reload time, it could work quite well.

Upvote 0
what about some kind of anti-tank rifle, I mean a HMG would be great and all but it'd become the weapon to have and the bullpup would become pretty much obsolete

Any HMG would take up a commandos whole inventory so unlike support weilding both the medium and heavy weight counterpart would be impossible.

Mean while some kind of anti-tank rifle would be slower fighting with a much higher damage output, the only problem I see is preventing it being a sniper weapon or a complete replacement to the LAW.

Upvote 0
Mean while some kind of anti-tank rifle would be slower fighting with a much higher damage output, the only problem I see is preventing it being a sniper weapon or a complete replacement to the LAW.

The LAW balances out its power by making it pretty impossible to hit an erratically moving target, so to give that same level of firepower to a firearm with effectively instantaneous hit probability would be unfair. The same goes for equipping a SAW or a Minimi, as it would be overkill in a game like Killing Floor. It would give a squad a tremendously powerful base of fire to position themselves around, instead actually making them depend on each other for mutual support.

PS: British police/military don't use american weapons iirc.

British special forces use Canadian made M16s as one of their staple weapons, actually, and there's plenty of other American weapons license-built by British companies for use by the British military.

The police/army don't use lever action rifles and double barreled shotguns either. But hey they're still in the game.

Given that the squads depicted in Killing Floor are essentially rag-tag groups thrown together by the government to stop the outbreak, it would make sense that they would have to scavenge anything they could get their hands on.

Upvote 0
The LAW balances out its power by making it pretty impossible to hit an erratically moving target, so to give that same level of firepower to a firearm with effectively instantaneous hit probability would be unfair.

Sadly, the LAW doesn't seem to actually be all that powerful. It's got area-effect, but a double-blast from the hunting shotgun takes enemies down quicker and doesn't require that you sight it before firing.

Upvote 0
I'm just kind of wondering where this would fit in. We already have a weapon dedicated to taking out large enemies--the Hunting Shotgun. We also have a fully automatic gun--the bullpup. We also have something for taking out large numbers of small enemies--the flamethrower. I can't really see what purpose a machinegun would have apart from possibly combining some of those weapons together and likely making some obsolete.

Upvote 0
The LAW balances out its power by making it pretty impossible to hit an erratically moving target, so to give that same level of firepower to a firearm with effectively instantaneous hit probability would be unfair.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I mean compared to the bullpup.

I myself have little knowledge of fire arms beyond the most popular, but imagine a semi-automatic heavy rifle, the closest thing I can think of is the Boyes Anti tank rifle, though I be more inclined to find a more modern equivilant. The problem is all the ones I have found are heavy sniper rifles, which don't fit.

Once again I must say we do not need another or heavier machine gun as we have the Bullpup, what we need is a suitable special weapon for the commado class because when it comes down to it the commando's damage output vs the patriarch is completely overshadowed by all classes bar the medic (for obvious reasons). This said I don't want something to over power the LAW or the hunting shotgun, just something to push the commandos damage up and give commandos another weapon to use

Upvote 0
there are (in my mind) 2 serious issues with the weapon options at this point in time

1. the LAW has no perk bonuses, this means the higher your level the more obsolete it becomes

2. while support has 2 weapon options and the sharpshooter has 3 the commando and the firebug have only one

In my opinion (other than medic) each class should have a primary and special weapon which benefit from and level perks. Now the LAW could be attached to the commando, breathing new life into it, however with its high weight and only support getting carry cap buffs this seems impossible, unless higher level commandos gain access to a lighter LAW, thus no need for some uber heavy machine gun.

on a side note in the mod I am aware there was a heavy deployable machine, this may have been dropped for balance or simply didn't make in in due to time contraints but I do not see a deployable machine gun as particularly useful in a game where mobility is a life saver.

Upvote 0
Well, since its a COOP game, I could see where one person could hold the bi\tripod and another held the hmg.

Unfortunately, it's basically impossible to balance the fun out between the two people. It's a lot more fun to fire a weapon than carry it around for somebody else, and as a result nobody would help others fire it leading to nobody bothering to use it. That's not even touching on the practical problems the mechanics of it would yield.
More to the point, the closeness required would make it so that the Patriarch could easily kill both people with a single rocket, and slightly less easily kill them both with his rotary gun.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it's basically impossible to balance the fun out between the two people. It's a lot more fun to fire a weapon than carry it around for somebody else, and as a result nobody would help others fire it leading to nobody bothering to use it. That's not even touching on the practical problems the mechanics of it would yield.
More to the point, the closeness required would make it so that the Patriarch could easily kill both people with a single rocket, and slightly less easily kill them both with his rotary gun.
Agreed. MG would still be nice though.

Upvote 0
What I can see balancing it is the fact that you have to set up, and then once setup, you can only see in a certain cone. Like in Day of defeat, once the mg sets up, he can only move his camera to a certain extent. Making it so you have to have a team mate cover you, or risk getting eaten from behind/back sides. Dunno, then the fact that you can only have limited ammo would make you not shoot at every clot, only in big mobs or bigger things.

Upvote 0
Regarding weapons used by British Police Forces, yes, they are more likely to use a German-made weapon (H&K) than anything else.

I recommend the L86A2 LSW. It's an accurate automatic weapon (seriously, its now used as a marksman's weapon) that is magazine fed. Why this over the FN Minimi? Well, one, it's British. British weaponry and army doesn't get enough representation, so why not just let it in? Second, it's an automatic weapon that is magazine fed, so its limited by magazine rather than the typical belt-fed, giving you a limitation. And third, it just looks neat.

I think that heavy machine guns should be kept out simply because it would negate things like flamethrowers (firebugs) and hopefully future additions of grenade launchers.

Upvote 0