• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

Help for Exploding crates

Help for Exploding crates

Hi, can someone help me with creating an exploding crate that DOES damage.. I experimented sooo long for creating an amunition crate that IS a destroyable Mesh + makes an exploding sound + damages the player around in a certain radius.. :confused:
Now I got the destroyable mesh set up along with a scripted trigger that plays the sound and gives an effect (like arty dirt emitter) but how will I make it damage players? Can somebody help? Pleeease! I get mad with trying things like : ACTION_DamageInstigator + setting damage type (cause it kills you even far away) or calling an arty shell with ACTION_SpawnActor (cause it takes some time an is not realistic, for the crates explodes and then 1,2,3,4 BOOM an arty comes down.. ):mad:
I even tried to sript my own projectile spawner (but even this has some delay for some purpose) or make a new actor-subclass for the artyShell (doesn't even reach the player) :eek: SO HOW DO I SET UP A DAMAGE OF A CERTAIN KIND IN A CERTAIN AREA AT A CERTAIN MOMENT?? I would be glad if someone could help me!

Upvote 0
problem here with popup -

terrain is revealed at the end of distance fog, but if that fog distance is v short then the popup of the terrain squares is very evident and blocky because being close to the player these square sections seem larger.

reducing the 'terrain sector size' value reduces the size of these squares but a value lower than 4 and the performance both ingame and in editor drops dramatically.Even set at 4 it looks bad.
So is there a way of stopping this popup effect- for example if the terrain could be rendered at a distance slightly beyond the fog end - so it is already there before it is 'revealed' by the fog, and so appears smoothly without the square blocky effect ?

just occured to me perhaps having 2 fogs - one that effects render distance being a slightly longer distance than one that is merely a visual effect might be the anwser i dunno - can this be done?
anyway thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I think two different disatance fogs will only give you graphic bugs.

Do you have a fog ring in your skybox?

thanks for reply sorry sorted now silly thing - played with the distance abit and adjusted the fog colour - it looked spot on but actually was out enough to show the terrain sectors being built at it's end - if that makes any sense.

Upvote 0
your probably right but just getting the correct fog hue solved it thanks.

For a long time now when i take screenshots i've been encountering problems.
They have always saved as bitmaps - which is the default i believe.
I found many of them didnt works - leaving a file that when you attempted to open reported "drawing failed". Thumbnails were blank iirc.
However some pictures were fine.
Now , however i am finding i am producing all black bitmaps - i am going though the ini to see any screenshot options - but anyone here have experience in this please?

Upvote 0
How to save my map??

How to save my map??

I made terrain to my map and then saved map as save as. When i oppened Red Orchestra SDK again and loaded my map it says there is something missing or something and i cant see terrain. So how to save my map correctly to edit it again? Do i need to save something else too than map or what?:confused:(Sorry my bad english)

Upvote 0
I made terrain to my map and then saved map as save as. When i oppened Red Orchestra SDK again and loaded my map it says there is something missing or something and i cant see terrain. So how to save my map correctly to edit it again? Do i need to save something else too than map or what?:confused:(Sorry my bad english)

cut and paste the error message should be easier to diagnose then.

Upvote 0