• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Left 4 Dead

Solution: get 3 friends :)

Yep, then it works like a dream.

Had a really good game last night.
I joined a game, (not versus) a little after it started, so I didn't get the NO Mercy award, (its the only one I'm missing), but the other guys did, a couple of em said "thanks".
Although its not easy, team work, at its best can be found in L4D.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's a good game and all but the people playing it, at least here, are of the hardcore retarded variety. There aren't that many good servers in Australia, at least not late at night, so it's a ***** when you join the only populated server to find it full of either;

a) clan buddies or friends who insta-kickban you the moment you join
b) rampant tkers or people griefing in various ways
c) people with out a clue
d) some frightening amalgamation of all of the above

I've even been kicked from servers just for trying to get people to work together and stop running off and getting owned individually on expert mode.

Also, the whole consolified game connection system is complete garbage, all praise the "openserverbrowser" console command, sheesh isn't it band enough I have to deal with this basic **** when trying to play Xbox online, don't need it on PC as well. It's also a real pain in the arse that I can't enable multithreading in the game or else I get that damned random lock up glitch.
Really? Haven't seen much of that. Only people who run way ahead or don't use VOIP. But 90% of the time I play with friends. Tip: only play with buddies, and if you play with pubbies who use VOIP and good teamwork, add those to your friend list. With any luck they regularly play at the same time as you do.

I finished my second campaign yesterday! :D Yes, only my second... but I only play on Expert. It's pretty cool, because I almost always play with SiC and Kettch and we continue where we left off the last time, that way you get a sense of continuity. You're playing the campaigns together.

Been playing some Versus too, and while it can be fun (especially with friends), I still prefer the campaign mode. I want to finish the other two first. On Expert of course, anything lower is for pussies. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, only my second... but I only play on Expert.

Well it has been mentioned few times that the difficulties are more or less of a joke. Easy is way too easy, normal is almost the same, advanced is understandable in some situations and expert is the only one that offers actually challenge, but it requires human players, bit of a teamwork and also bit practice to know how to deal with some situations in general.

Kinda like almost everyone of those static miniguns can be forgotten on expert unless the minigunner wants to get massive attension from all kinds of directions :p

Upvote 0
Well that's where your buddies come in who can cover your back;)
The only thing i have to worry about then is a smoker trying to pull me from the gun.

Even with friendlies it can cause problems sometimes. First time No Mercy on expert the guy who was on the minigun either got raped by smoker and massive hordes of infected or shot by a friendly guy in the chaos, and after 16 attempts in the finale we realized that screw minigun, let's fortify one very small area in proper angles - and it worked :D

Upvote 0
Best way to prepare for incoming hordes is have everybody hug a wall, each looking in one direction. That way no infected can get behind you. Stay close together so you can instantly knock a special infected off if one of you gets strangled or pounced.

And of course.... situation awareness. Trust your teammates. Watch his back. And don't be greedy when it comes to kills to prevent FF. :)

Difficulties should really change. Like this imo:

Easy should go
Normal should be more difficult (maybe like advanced)
Expert is just right
And I wouldn't mind getting an ever harder one.

(That's what she said)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone got a useful link on setting up a dedicated server.
I've done one but nobody seems to come in.
I think its a port forwarding thing.
Even when I join my own server I get a "log in error" after a while...

Anyway, if you want to practice being a zombie, start a dedicated server and then join it, (it will show up as a friend).

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Really? Haven't seen much of that. Only people who run way ahead or don't use VOIP. But 90% of the time I play with friends. Tip: only play with buddies, and if you play with pubbies who use VOIP and good teamwork, add those to your friend list. With any luck they regularly play at the same time as you do.

I finished my second campaign yesterday! :D Yes, only my second... but I only play on Expert. It's pretty cool, because I almost always play with SiC and Kettch and we continue where we left off the last time, that way you get a sense of continuity. You're playing the campaigns together.

Been playing some Versus too, and while it can be fun (especially with friends), I still prefer the campaign mode. I want to finish the other two first. On Expert of course, anything lower is for pussies. :p
Not joking, for every handful of useful players I encounter there's 10 or so complete retards. Also the thing with people controlling servers is really bad, there'll be 6 or 7 of them on say a vs server and it may be the only server that's populated real late and they'll just instantly ban anyone they don't know. Real asshole behaviour.

I've got some old RO clan buddies I can play with though, problem is they're around at different times to me cause I work graveyard shifts in my office :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well you 're not having much luck Reddog, cause it really is a very good team work game.
Undoubtly the best as far as I'm concerned.
Did you set up a bind to the server browser ?

Launch options :
-console
then type(in the console) :
bind F12 openserverbrowser

I used F12 but you can do as you wish.
This way you can check your History or add to your Favorites.

Bet you knew that already.

Upvote 0
We just did it (with another guy) that we picked up No Mercy finale, got to the end, killed the AI, respawned the guys and killed the AI as many times as possible and after we managed to get them KIA, we called the chopper, killed the first wave (we used that old closet trick) and when the tank came, we ran around the building and the other guy just kept shooting him, and after he was down we did it again during the next wave - of course the roles were reversed.

Upvote 0
If I don't find a smoker or a hunter that sneaks up on me, the two times I made it, one time I almost killed the tank, and was shooting him in the street with the HMMWV in it, and the tank just freakin disappeared, didn't see it die, no body left behind. The second time, no tank spawned, and I got hanged by a smoker before I could get to the boathouse where there would be a tank.

Upvote 0
The subtle difference between tanks in RO and tanks in L4D !

Good game tonight with...

etkptozntd.jpg

Upvote 0
Versus games are damn fun. Yesterday two guys on the opposing team failed enormously. They were playing as survivors and one made it to the saferoom and closed the door. Meanwhile, the other survivor was pinned down near the door by a hunter accompanied by me as a smoker and some other guy as a boomer. The survivor could have scored some points by staying inside, but he decided to OPEN the door and rape ensued. :D That same thing happened the round after, their teammates were very, very pleased.

But there are some things that make me RAAAAGGEEEEE:

- "Random teamswitch". I don't know if someone with a faster comp always take my spot before I can connect or just bugged game.

- The people that lag behind as survivors in versus mode. Don't chase the infected. Don't run back up on No Mercy 1 when we have gone down the hole, you deserve to be incapped if you go back. Don't throw a damn molotov on my feet when a tank is chasing me. Don't just stand there when a hunter has pounced on someone else, you don't have to rescue others or anything...

Tanks in narrow places=rape. I spawned as a tank in No Mercy 1 before the 4 full health survivors got to the street part. There was a convinient car laying around. 3 car bashes later the survivors were dead and 27k points. Yay. Someone else did the same thing for us in the hospital level. A tank spawned before we opened the safehouse door. I'm yelling in mic "Don't open the door. The tank can't bash the door down on this difficulty. DONT TOUCH THE DOOR" and guess what happened... Someone just had to open the it..

tl:dr

Upvote 0
The survivor could have scored some points by staying inside, but he decided to OPEN the door and rape ensued. :D That same thing happened the round after, their teammates were very, very pleased.

I recall once having similiar situation that I was in the saferoom as a survivor, two guys were really lagging behind so I closed the door already just in case. Well guess what, they got pretty much screwed and I just stayed inside the safehouse. Too bad I didn't take screenshots (I was laughing too much to even realize I should take screens), as after that the two screwed survivors were both writing and howling that I am complete CS rusher noob who doesn't know any teamplay and should be banned, even though they kept lagging so much behind that you could complete campaign on expert in the time they took moving from room to room :D

Upvote 0