• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Left 4 Dead

So are Tier 2 weapons flat out better than Tier 1?

Atleast M14 (or that hunting rifle, it reminds me about M14 for some reason) is capable of one-hitting every regular infected and boomers 99% of the time, and usually it takes only 2-5 shots to kill a hunter or a smoker with it aswell. Only downside is that it is not suitable by itself against random masses, or you'd need to gather everyone to approach from a single direction.

And it's fun to save pinned teammates just by shooting through some walls :p

We almost all lived on Death Toll as well. Alas, meleeing (or whatever the appropriate word would be) a tank does not always shift his focus to you, so we lost one guy.

We had hilarious situation yesterday in Blood Harvest on expert, the farmhouse stage. The first wave was not too bad and the tank got stuck on a door (I don't know how that happened, but it was funny) so we just killed it there and prepared for the second wave.

However, when the tank appeared on the second wave, and due to a molotov accident all three other guys got 3rd degree burns and smashed by tank's fists and it was pretty much 1on1 with the tank. When I finished it and that APC came, I ran to the farmhouse and when the door opened and I got in, smoker grabbed me and pulled me off and we had to restart the level. I was already inside that damm APC and then I realize "oh **** that tentaclemonster got me" and the voicecomm was filled with hysterious and insane laughter.

Also, happened earlier in Dead Air's last stage (again on expert) or whatever that plane episode was. One survivor was only alive and the 2nd tank was on rampage. So then a hunter also comes around. While the tank was about to pick a rock and throw it, hunter pinned the last survivor and we were expecting another restart, but instead about eyeblink or two later the tank's rock hit the damm hunter, and the survivor was once again standing alive and finished off the tank and escaped. Practical demonstartion of "what the **** just happened?" :D

Upvote 0
The hunting rifle is a Mini 14.

mini14q.jpg

Upvote 0
It is a Ruger Mini-14 Stainless Ranch Rifle... how do I know? Because I own one. :D

They are .223

Unless it is a Mini-30 in 7.62x39... but the clip would be shaped like a banana in that case.

The animation is wrong for reload, because the magazine does not pop straight in like an M16, you have to put the front in first and rock it back to lock it in place... just like an M14 or an M1A... which I also own. <3 :D

EDIT: you beat me to it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's basically the poor man's M14.

Thanks for the tip Joshua, I'll try it out.
It is more the poormans M16 since .223 is no substitute for .308

But I actually like a lot of thing better about it, you can actually get to the chamber easier if it jams, and it is half the price.

Crappy thing... small thin barrel that gets hot quick.

Upvote 0
My flat mate finally bought this off steam last night and thanks to steam backup he didnt have to spend hours waiting for it to download. Had a fun hectic night playing through Dead Air, which was pretty damned tough due it being his first try of the game and only being 2 humans + 2 bots, though at it didnt help that I decided it would be fun to sneak up and molotov the witch from 5 yards.

For some reason it took us 4-5 attempts to do the 3rd chapter, at one point with us all on pretty low health, only my flat mate having ammo and being the sky bridge (30second jog) away from the safehouse a tank then pops up. After throwing a molotov on it and noticing the tank was going after the bots, I shout at my mate to just run for the safe room and leave the bots. So I turn around right into a boomer and 20 zombies..great...so being vomited on and swarmed i got took down.

At the same time the bots were somehow running rings arround the tank shooting with their pistols while my flat mate was screaming running like a headless chicken. Needless to say though the bots finally died but thankfully my flatmate remembered about how he had a gun and (helped by the 60secs or so of burning) he took the tank down.

Yay i though a quick run to the exit and we can get to the next chapter, but no 10meters from the safehouse he fails to check the room to his left and he then gets well and truely *** ****ed, by a smoker pulling him in, a boomer vomiting on him and a hunter pouncing. :mad:

Upvote 0
Damn smokers! Was playing No Mercy on expert...we had been trying to beat it for days and could not get past the tanks and hordes of zombies that attack after activating the radio. We tried holing up in that closet, but after killing the first tank we'd all try to get back to the closet and someone would end up getting a hunter pounce on the them, or some other misfortune.

Well, we found out there are a couple rooms on the rooftop you cannot open, but if you shoot them the door blows open. So we found a larger, safer, room to hunker down in. One person hit the radio and hauled *** back to the room (across from the heli-pad). We fared well for the initial onslaught, killed the first tank no problem.

As we ran back to the main room to gather ammo and health, one of our guys got a tongue on him and then a hunter hit him, we left him to die and went back to the other room because there was no chance for him to make it. We fought off the second wave, one of us was punched off the roof by the second tank, which was hilarious. We finally killed the tank and when the helicopter came, only two of us were left. We made a break for it and my friend was puked on by a boomer and was just screaming "forget about me! Just go!" :D, so I ran up the stairs to the helipad. The horde had caught up with me and were clawing at me, so I couldn't go forward. I had to turn around and start melee'ing them to get myself free. Finally, free at last, I jump-crouched into the helicopter, but in mid-air, as I entered the helicopter, a smoker tongued me and pulled me out of the chopper and into the horde, where I was mercilessly ripped to pieces. :(:(:(:( Guess we'll try again tonight.

This game = best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but in mid-air, as I entered the helicopter, a smoker got me, pulled me out of the chopper and into the horde. :(:(:(:(

Haha, I flukely got that as a smoker on versus on Dead Harvest, I spawned just as the APC was arriving, ran my undead *** off and just managed to get Zoe as she stepped onto the APC. Best two things from that was a: it was against a clan who had stacked 4:2 and b: on the outro cutscene you could still she her caught and getting mauled my the normal infected muhahaha

Upvote 0
Haha, I flukely got that as a smoker on versus on Dead Harvest, I spawned just as the APC was arriving, ran my undead *** off and just managed to get Zoe as she stepped onto the APC. Best two things from that was a: it was against a clan who had stacked 4:2 and b: on the outro cutscene you could still she her caught and getting mauled my the normal infected muhahaha
:D Nice

Upvote 0
Had something kind of similar last night on Death Toll.
Basically 3 of our guys were knocked dead by a tank and a horde of zombies, only Nimsky was left but just before he reached the safehouse he got jumped by a hunter. If he could have stretched out his arm in the game, he could touch the safehousedoor no problem :p This game can be so cruel i cant stop laughing maniacally sometimes, even though I am the victim:D

Upvote 0
Ha! I was two minutes from completing the No Mercy level without getting killed...

(1) A Tank knocked me from the fixed machine gun over to the roof where the Molotov's/pipe bombs can be found.
I had time to lob a pipe bomb before moving across the pipes to regain the fixed MG position.
(2) I got licked over to another roof position.
(3) Beat to death by a Hunter while being hung by the wicked tongue.

All this happened in about 20 seconds of play.

The Director has no Mercy.

Upvote 0
Gah, L4D has stopped working on my desktop pc after the update, its completely freezing at the main menu (no responce not even a BSOD or even keyboard lights are responding :( ), it happened once before in the demo but a full reinstall of the game fixed it.

Ive had similar problems before but with other programs about a month ago, though it seemed to stop. Got a long list of stuff to check out (memtest, HDD test, graphics drivers etc) due to the fact im getting no error message. As far as i know other stuff seems to be working fine, its not an overheating issue and looking on L4D forums its not a problem that others have had.

A couple of things Ive found is that Rivatuner and some creative sound cards can cause problems with it so ill have to check on them as well, but it seems strange that the game has been working fine for a week now.

But as Ive said Ive got a bunch of stuff to check and test but it'd be nice if anyones got any advise or even read of others with the same problem thatll help me narrow the problem down :)

Guess some basic specs can be usfull: Intel Q6600 , Ati 4870 512mb, 4x1gb Corsair Ram, Asus Maximus II (i think) mobo, creative live 24 bit soundblaster (dont ask) with some kind of SoundMaxHD also installed but not used. And nothing is overclocked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah they can be related to RAM (most probable in my case hence running memtest first thing tomorrow, though I should have done that a few weeks ago tbh) but from some googling, other known similar locks on recent/similar systems can be caused by HDD faults, faulty PSU,faulty cabling, bad drivers, overheating , shorting, hardware/software conflicts and with no error the list goes on lol.

I hope its the RAM as returning it is a piece of cake and fairly free. In the mean time I can use my kneeburner to get my L4D fix hehe. Hope you get your copy soon!

Upvote 0
Ha! I was two minutes from completing the No Mercy level without getting killed...

(1) A Tank knocked me from the fixed machine gun over to the roof where the Molotov's/pipe bombs can be found.
I had time to lob a pipe bomb before moving across the pipes to regain the fixed MG position.
(2) I got licked over to another roof position.
(3) Beat to death by a Hunter while being hung by the wicked tongue.

All this happened in about 20 seconds of play.

The Director has no Mercy.
You know what we found out las night playing Death Toll? Light a tank on fire with molotovs or gas canisters and RUN. The tank, as long as it stays on fire, will die in about 45 seconds, no shooting required. So save your ammo and run, unless you want to kill it faster. :D This was confirmed on three tanks in the train yard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0