• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

was just curious

-[SiN]-bswearer

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008
after seeing that other post sorta about this topic, i started thinking about something similar with my game.

i bought the retail box version of RO in walmart way back when for $40 and initially used it to install, but i have had to uninstall/reinstall steam a few times and it automatically starts installing the game because it is under my account.....but some time ago i tried to reinstall RO from the discs on a different computer, before i realized that i could just install steam and access my account :eek:, and i got a message saying the discs were corrupted, though they were in perfect shape, so they are now basically useless.....was this just because it was already installed on another computer once before?

not that this would probably ever happened, but what if by some chance my steam account magically disappeared and i had to set up a new account? it wouldnt register that i already had RO, or any of my other steam games for that matter, but i wouldn't be able to install it from the discs.... just curious as to how this would work, not trying to offend Steam or anything, since i think it is AMAZING! :)

I don't know about the question that you have RO installed on a different computer, or why the discs came up as corrupt. Perhaps they seemed corrupt compared to the updated version of RO being downloaded from Steam?

As far as setting up a new Steam account, the discs are tied to the first account. You would have to purchase RO again. I had a friend whose hard drive crashed and he had forgetten his Steam password when he loaded everything back up on the new drive. Since he had changed his email during that time as well, he was unable to access his Steam account (it "disappeared") without an email known to Steam to get the password back. He had to set up a new Steam account and he had to repurchase RO. In other words, you would be outa luck unless you paid for RO again.

PS: Don't forget your Steam password as well, could screw you up if you need to reload already paid for games....

Upvote 0
CD's should still work, no idea why they would come up as corrupted.

However once the game is tied to your steam account, tied it will stay. I "think" valve might offer the option to transfer if you can provide the origianal recepit and cd key and a 10 fee. But for a game purchased over steam I don't think it can be transfered.

Upvote 0
interesting, thanks for the help. hopefully i will never lose my steam account! :D

It's harder to loose a steam account then it would be to misplace your CDs.. if you loose your PWD.. then you got password recovery.. etc.

Basically unless you loose your old email or something and can't remember what it was, you should be fine.

Could Steam have a technical fault and 'loose' data? Sure.. I'd even bet it'd happen.. but you could much more easilly have an angry ex toss out your games or have a dog chew on them.. given Steam is it's own business model, I'd hope that they do backups and DR though.. so they can recover the data I'd be willing to bet..

(and if they aren't, someone tell me.. i'd be more then happy to consult them into a decent DR/Backup solution.. )

Upvote 0
If you've ever purchased anything through Steam using your credit card, it's quite easy to get your account information back even if the email has been changed/lost. Happened to me a few months ago when my account was hijacked.

If you don't have easily verifiable personal information like that in Steam's system, you're boned. Pay the 20 bucks and redownload it.

Upvote 0
Was there not a terrible storm a couple of years ago, in which Steam nearly lost the data ?
Precautions have been implemented since I believe.

My question is this...
I live in France, maybe, just maybe, one day I might move back to the UK.
Will my Steam account follow ?
Early accounts I seem to remember were/are linked to an email addresses.

I know some of you out there have recently moved.
How does it work ?

Upvote 0
If you loose your steam account you can get it back in the end if you remember the original email address it was first registered with even if a thief stole your email you can get it back.

Or proof that you bought this game originally. I believe they might save some data from the original payment for the game.

You can login to your steam account from any country. If you loose it if you can proof that you truly belong to that account you can get it back too.
(to the point that even if you sold your steam account to someone nice and fairly, you can still if your a bastard just get it back).

Upvote 0