• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unreal Tournament 3

Ohh yes, even the chicks look like Mr Univers due to all the armour and megaman boots.
Terrible look, and indeed its been with us since 2kx, but atleast back then we also got some token normal people along for the ride.

Who's really into that look anyway?

Mark Rein and the rest of Epic. And I like them too.

Upvote 0
Its the "Bright skins" feature, a horrible concept added in some patch or Bonus pack to UT2004 (now made even more horribe and bright), but back then you allways had the choice to turn it off, infact it was off by default, now its forced on.

And Xendance.. sometimes i doubt your commitent to Sparkle Motion :p

Upvote 0
I really hate the uber muscular look, ill conceived and quite frankly pathetic. They're not WH40k Space Marines. They're supposed to be skillful agile combatants, not walking tanks. The same goes for some of the weapons, I mean look at the Enforcer pistol now, it's a fisher price submachine gun for ****s sake!

The design of the characters and weapons in UT99 was vastly superior, you had acceptably muscular people like Malcolm, the Iron Guards, and then different races like the Necris, the robots, the Skarrj and so on. The Skarrj not being human represented in my eyes the overly muscular side of things.

The weapons are the same, whilst some are actually extremely good compared to the way they were in UT2003 (flak cannon, bio rifle, shock rifle) many are just as bad.

I thought that after UT2004 when things got a bit more acceptable that they were bringing it back a bit from the needlessly chunky UT2003. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Theres actually a field you can fill in for clan tags, so they thought that far ahead after all :rolleyes:.

I tweaked it some more this evening and it's running much smoother now. Still, there arent too many servers to choose from... practically none with low-grav, multi-jump, ZARK mods. Those will come in time though. Theres already a 'Bathroom III' map in the 'ol gigantic-room-turned-map vein that UT is so famous for. I'm liking it so far.. it'll get much better once I'm freed with the heavily modded servers.

Upvote 0
Its the "Bright skins" feature, a horrible concept added in some patch or Bonus pack to UT2004 (now made even more horribe and bright), but back then you allways had the choice to turn it off, infact it was off by default, now its forced on.

And Xendance.. sometimes i doubt your commitent to Sparkle Motion :p

I don't get it.

Upvote 0
So, after the two patches and about half a year later, are people still playing this on PC? Saw it discounted recently and began pondering the buy, mostly for the sake of making the most of my new rig and perhaps for the modding tools as well.

Should I go for it?

The game is doing quite badly online to be frank, you will no doubt be able to find a couple of servers near you with a decent ping and people playing, but you will not be spoiled for choice by any means, and it can be pretty hard to find a decent server if you want to play something other than the "Warfare" game-mode.

Nor does it seem that things will pick up in this department, the second patch fixed the most annoying of the games flaws, but that did not help it, player counts have only fallen, i doubt the next patch or the one after that will change matters at all.

It might be worth getting for mods, but to what degree.. i'm just not sure, the engine is not as mod freindly as we all hoped, infact in many ways it is less mod freindly than older UT's where, and developing anything on this engine takes a long time indeed, there's nothing spectacular out for it at this time, just assorted mutators, and the list of mods in development is not nearly as big as it was with UT2004, and most of them don't even look all that promising, and with development beeing this hard now, alot will probably never go anywhere.

Personally i uninstalled it months ago, and have found no reason to reinstall it, i hope something will come along and change that (a mod, Epic is obviously not going to do it), but i personally don't think its about to happen any time soon.

Well, considdering that it is now avalible at bargain bin prices (and boy did that happen fast!), it might just be worth that price, but i certainly do regret that i bought it at full price when it was new.

Upvote 0
....It might be worth getting for mods, but to what degree.. i'm just not sure, the engine is not as mod freindly as we all hoped, infact in many ways it is less mod freindly than older UT's where, and developing anything on this engine takes a long time indeed....

Huh? Could you explain the differences?

Upvote 0