• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Royals... Do we need em?

D3terioNation

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
West Sussex, UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7477222.stm

I know the queen has her uses, but I dont class them as being worth 40 million GBP a year!

I personally think theyre a bloody useless bunch we could all live without!

Anyone disagree? Those from other countries with royal families, what are your views?

I think this would be quite an interesting subject to discuss and though I cant see it being that controversial a debate, please lets not go overboard :)

Well its not like they have any power. She keeps her nose well out of any kind of politics. She's just a figurehead wheeled out for diplomatic duty now & again.

The one thing thats keeping them there, and I hate to admit it, is the shear amount of revenue brought in by tourism to London & Buckingham Palace. Tourists love them & if you took them away, London suddenly becomes a dull place to visit!

Upvote 0
Well they aint my royal family ;).

SCOT002.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a royalist at the moment, mostly because we have some great royals, the crown prince of Norway is a good guy, and an excellent spokesperson for the country. However, I wouldn't mind if he was the one to close the door on monarchy for good.

And I dont mind those swedish princesses at all :p

If I was english though... :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBhXhhSPq0Y

Upvote 0
Australia being part of the Commonwealth I guess the Queen of England is our Monarch. There was talk of getting rid of our Governor-General which to my understanding is the only power the Queen has in our country, that and selecting a Governor for each state.

But in saying that if we get rid of the Royals then a whole bunch of my public holidays get lost with it. Maybe we will get lucky and they will die of Aplastic anaemia and fanconi's disease, but I'm not to sure :).

Come on, look me in the eye and tell me its not true :p

Upvote 0
For Denmark atleast, it is often said that they make the country more money than they cost us, especially the Asian market really loves Royalty, and that paves the way for alot of lucrative buisness, but there's also tourism, and ofcourse, they are valuable in diplomatic relations, some of which also keeps trade booming between Denmark and other parts of the world.

But still, i'd not be saddened if they where not there, i really don't care to be honest.

Upvote 0
Well its not like they have any power. She keeps her nose well out of any kind of politics. She's just a figurehead wheeled out for diplomatic duty now & again.

Actually the Queen has ultimate power in Britain, at least in theory she does. Brenda, as the monarch, has to approve any act of parliament before it can be passed - she could therefore veto any new law she did not like.

This power of veto is one which the monarchy, rather wisely, have chosen not to exercise since Charles lost his head, I believe. That's probably one of the main reasons they have lasted so long.

Upvote 0