• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can my computer run RO?

Nicolis

Jun 14, 2008
So, I just bought RO about 5 hours ago and have been playing it the majority of the time (which is VERY rare for me :eek:) but I have had some points in the game where I will look onto an open battlefield to have my fps drop a wee bit (30 fps- 20fps) I am wondering is this normal? I also thought why not post my specs and see if you guys can help me out to as how I can adjust the options to get the best performance and still have some good eye candy. (I love the textures and decals)

1024 ram
pentium 4
3.2 ghz
Radeon 9550 128mb
210w PSU
Windows XP SP2

I knw the gc and my psu is poop, but its the best I can do you know so please dont reccomend upgrading and just answer the best you can based on this

thanks mates :)

thanks guys, I have been fooling with the settings all day and I still cant figure out one that works for me is it possible that one of generous peoples out there could walk me through which settings to put where that can work best? I have put all the settings (including advance) on low and it runs well, but I want some eye candy. Any takers?

Like what i mean is what should I set what too?

EXAMPLE:

shadows- blob
textures- ultra high
decals- high

exc...

thanks again for putting up with my nonsense:p

maybe its just me, for some reason whenever I get the tinest bit of lag I assume my computer is pure crap, or at least when the game is constantley running at a fps of 17 in a heavy fire fight

thanks

Upvote 0
your main issue is your processor you should be able to set video graphics etc pretty high (as in highest beside shadows on blob) without losing or gaining any fps. Ut2k4 based games are bastards on processors.

Try fiddling around with hyperthreading (on or off) and other cpu properties.

Things that might help your case are:

Decals to off
physics to low
Low sound detail
No weather and foliage.

beside that this might help you a bit too:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11052

Another thing you can try doing is changing the renderer
just test em all out and see which one gives the best results
You should be able to select em in the menu (make sure you dont select the software renderer as it makes ro crash :p)

Try OpenGL (the menus look ugly but the actual game should have no issues)
Try Direct3d usually is slower but might be faster in your case
if both don't give any advantage go back to
Direct3d9x

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just fiddled around with my old computer and got RO/MN/DH running DX9, on medium/normal settings with a resolution of 1024x768, all things checked except Bloom and Trilinear Filters. I am using application preference settings in ATI Catalyst.

FPS ranges from an absolute low of 30 on Danzig (averages are better though) to upwards of 75-85 on Zhitomer. Average of 45-65 so far most maps. (The FPS is lower on DH maps)

P4 3.0GHz with HT on
ATI 9550 256MB
Soundblaster Audigy 2
2GB RAM
Windows XP (SP3)

Last edited:
Upvote 0