• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] Balaklava1944

Ravelo

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2007
Canary Islands, Spain
Hello. This is my new project. This is the Soviet offensive in Crimea in 1944. Will be developed in the area of Balaklava, between Sevastopol and Kerch.

The map will be combined arms, and as seen in the images is a significant size. We will have to capture 4 objetives (German/Romanian). The map includes two new features:
- T34/85 with Raiders (by MW): we must use the T34 to charge on enemy positions.
- Destructible walls: we can destroy walls of buildings among other things.

Even at this stage Alpha, but I'm working fast to take the beta1 as soon as possible.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
This looks very interesting Ravelo. Have you had any performance problems with the destroyable walls and buildings? I know that's always a concern during network play if too many destroyable meshes are used.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your progress;)

Shurek is right. How many destroyable actors do you have? You should test run it on a server and keep an eye on the channel numbers (F6)

Upvote 0
I am now undergoing trial in a closed server with several players to test the map altogether. At the moment the performance is quite good and there are no falls in fps, but I will continue testing and improving performance as much as possible.

as i said, check the channel numbers, DSMs are not heavy on the fps, they are heavy on the server, causing increased pings for everyone. This mostly does not show with servers with less than 28 guys from my experience (if the server is at least semi decent).

PM me if you need something specific considering those problems.

Upvote 0
And the most important, the terrain looks very much like the real Crymea. Which is exelent news to me. :D
Few suggestions, though.
If we speak about the part of Crymea excluding Southern area, it's mostly steppe terrain with very few trees, but big percent of them are poplars. If there any chance of creating a static mesh of it and using it in your map, it would be really awesome - at least, for me. :)

poplar.jpg

topol.gif

EDIT
These trees mostly grow along the roads

Also "popular" tree in that area is .. don't know if there is such word in English - thuja.
672.jpg

I've never been to Sevastopol, so I can't judge, but in the Northern part of Crymea you can stumble upon many sunflower fields.
_5A_0471.jpg

Then, I suggestion you to use other ameoba camo - not urban, but brown. Urban is to bright for such terrain.
Also, the buildings used in this map atm don't look as a real Ukranian haty. The walls are usually (I'm speaking about Crymea, haven't seen the other parts of Ukraine) white. Like this.
8550445_Graphic1.jpg

133717.jpg

If you can, try to model something similar.
I'm really (and I mean - really) looking forward playing this map! Loved your Krasnyi Bor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0