• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grand Theft Auto IV - Mega Thread - Potential SPOILERS

Got it without a trouble at my local Best Buy, no lines or anything either (that place is always abandoned).

Played it for an hour and a half or so, and I'm not that overly impressed with the visuals. I know its a open world massive game and such but the visuals aren't, in my opinion, what they've been touted to be.

Only killed like 3 people so far, all hand to hand. The combat is kinda funky, maybe I just need more practice. I need a lot more practice at bowling too apparently.

Upvote 0
Got it without a trouble at my local Best Buy, no lines or anything either (that place is always abandoned).

Played it for an hour and a half or so, and I'm not that overly impressed with the visuals. I know its a open world massive game and such but the visuals aren't, in my opinion, what they've been touted to be.

Only killed like 3 people so far, all hand to hand. The combat is kinda funky, maybe I just need more practice. I need a lot more practice at bowling too apparently.
Got a HDTV or an PC Monitor HD equivalent? Are you using HDMI?

Also, IF I hadn't read before playing it about how Rockstar used filters (thing that makes things blurry :D) to enhance the visuals, I'd been disappointed about the game visualz from an anticipation perspective but it looks great anyhow and the lightning is stunning.

Also, it seems R* said a PC version is unlikely to be released. But I ain't taking their word on it as they acted different from what they stated in many instances.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=332489

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Didn't mean to come in as a fanboy. :eek:

But I have to say that on my PS3 I saw no pop-in whatsoever and I messed around a lot already like getting 6 stars or high-speed pursuit with the cops and well, no pop-in on the PS3.
Trust me the popin is not like that on the 360, I have this version and the only popin I see is detail (as in the tree is always there just changes detail as you get closer) and textures sometimes.

That's either a bug or possibly shopped I reckon.

Upvote 0
@ Athena: Yes I'm on a 57" Mitsubishi DLP running the game at 1080p, believe me, HD doesn't look better anywhere else.

I seem to have trouble linking my PSN ID to my account at Rockstar Social Club. After I log my PSN account in, the site says that It has successfully been linked. Although when I look at my account, nothings changed and it still shows "no games". Whats the deal here?

EDIT: Multiplayer isn't letting me connect either. It just says something like "Connection could not be made, try again later" And no its not my router.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The multiplayer is screwing up on both the 360 and PS3. I couldn't get in until after about 4 tries. Got into a Team Deathmatch social game, played it (ALL DAMN KINDS OF FUN FYI), then back to SP. I try a social Deathmatch game and I get to a lobby, the game starts and... nothing. It kept saying "Starting game" and eventually I had to get back to the dashboard. It wasn't frozen like a lockup, it just never loaded for anyone in the server (we could hear each other talking still).

It's been reported at a number of places about the issue.

Upvote 0
And now for something completely different...

gta_jack.jpg

Source: http://kotaku.com/385459/rockstar-makes-a-grand-theft-auto-iv-fan-of-jack-thompson

Anyway, I've been playing now for however many hours and I'm still not even to the second main island yet. This game is insane in the best ways possible.

The multiplayer connection issues need to be sorted out ASAP. I've only been able to do three MP games and one of those was won because the other team left or lagged out completely.

Upvote 0
The game is great so far graphics look good even on my standard tv. Anyone else not like the brakes on the vehicles? Also blur and bloom look great not sure why anyone would want to turn it off. Cops and robbers is awesome online. I wish my mic worked.

the blur looks like crap in the HD vieos, and the bloom is overdone.
My eyes already do bloom, I don't need extra bloom ontop :)

and why is everything so "dark" looking? Would prefer a GT5 style realistic lighting myself

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played it a couple more hours today, and I'm still not too impressed with the graphics to be honest. Stuff starts to blur out when its just 100 yards away, jaggies galore, and the resolution is noticeably low (640p). The FPS takes obvious and often hits, where you can clearly tell you're getting much lower than 30 FPS. It just seems to bother me more since the graphics were said to be 'teh best evar n therz no lagz at all!' by pretty much every reviewer, and its clearly not true at all. Not necessarily bad graphics, just disappointing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The scaling or lack thereof ****s me more than a bit.

I tried to play it on my 19 inch flat screen, well every other 360 game I have plays fine on this, my monitor has a native res of 1280x1024. When I set my 360 to this resolution all the games I have will run in 1280x720 (eg 720p) with black bars on top and bottom and look great...

Except GTA 4, which will run at what looks like 640x480 stretched up to fit 1280x1024, and it looks ****ing horrid, like playing a game with fogged up glasses on.

Sigh :(

Upvote 0
And now for something completely different...

gta_jack.jpg

Source: http://kotaku.com/385459/rockstar-makes-a-grand-theft-auto-iv-fan-of-jack-thompson

Anyway, I've been playing now for however many hours and I'm still not even to the second main island yet. This game is insane in the best ways possible.

The multiplayer connection issues need to be sorted out ASAP. I've only been able to do three MP games and one of those was won because the other team left or lagged out completely.

I bet he like playing the game really

Upvote 0
I played it a couple more hours today, and I'm still not too impressed with the graphics to be honest. Stuff starts to blur out when its just 100 yards away, jaggies galore, and the resolution is noticeably low (640p). The FPS takes obvious and often hits, where you can clearly tell you're getting much lower than 30 FPS. It just seems to bother me more since the graphics were said to be 'teh best evar n therz no lagz at all!' by pretty much every reviewer, and its clearly not true at all. Not necessarily bad graphics, just disappointing.
640p? Huh?

Also, if you're playing on a standard def television, of course it's going to look a lot worse than anyone else running in HD.

Also, you need to realize that the graphics also include the feel, the ambiance. I challenge you to find another game that even comes close to the level of detail and immersion that's in GTA4.

I tried to play it on my 19 inch flat screen, well every other 360 game I have plays fine on this, my monitor has a native res of 1280x1024. When I set my 360 to this resolution all the games I have will run in 1280x720 (eg 720p) with black bars on top and bottom and look great...

Except GTA 4, which will run at what looks like 640x480 stretched up to fit 1280x1024, and it looks ****ing horrid, like playing a game with fogged up glasses on.

I'm running on 1280x1024 as well, and hell... Maybe I'm just used to it from playing Halo 3 that has the exact same problem, but I don't think it's that bad. Halo 3 doesn't do the black bars, neither does PGR3. I hear there's some way around this, but I cannot remember what it is at the moment.

It's just slightly upscaled. NOT upscaled from 640x480 though.

Upvote 0

Exactly the same problem here. I tried playing this game on my 19" LCD at 1280x1024/720p and it just looked like I was in a strange, blurry and jaggy painting. Some games do a look a little jaggy on my LCD (Forza 2 for example) but GTA4 looks especially bad in all honesty.

Strangely enough, I hooked up my 360 to my 26" SDTV and it looks much better. Couldn't even notice that strange 'paintbrush' filter, and barely any jagged edges. Although I do have a sit closer than I normally would to read the text and whatnot. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0