• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Error] RO run in Task manager/Processes-Wont launch

Sorry for been away from the thread so long. Busy.

Yes, I use XP 64 also, .. Can anyone isolate this issue only happening under XP64 or is the problem present at the 32 bit XP also?

Confirming that launching problems occur only under XP64, would make it easier to find the solution.

Has anyone had succes with the CCleaner method as fiftyone came up with?

As a regular cleaner program on all my setups, the proces of uninstalling RO, Steam and cleaning with CCleaner did not make the fresh installs work any better.

i have tried without firewall and with the right ports opened on the router.

It can be related with the latest Steam update somehow..

Can it be a mismatch with punkbuster or Vac, ..? Whoa.. dont ask me why.. (Reputation is ok on VAC)

As I said before, Day Of Defeat works just fine, launched from Steam.

It is maybe worth to concider for loading the 6 months old drive image backup and try if RO by some reason works in the "time machine" ..

I'm just still not so keen on the thought to build the whole works (XP) up again.

Upvote 0
I don't have XP x64 Pro, and I get the issue. My ticket with steam is rather long now, and we have yet to find a solution.

CCleaner does not resolve the issue.

The issue, is with Steam. The game can be run when steam.dll is placed in the system folder of RO, so steam is preventing RO from launching. Now we only have to wait for the monkies over at Steam to realize they fck'd something up.

Upvote 0
So after 16 days of support ticket talk with Steam. They give me some interesting advice:

"Hey Justin,

Change the folder name back to common as this is completely normal.

I am not sure why Red Orchestra won't run correctly from Steam but it will from the executable.

I would recommend trying the following support to see if they have any ideas:

Technical support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the link below for instructions to contact the support provider for this title:

Title: Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6258-OPZV-1160

Please let us know if you encounter any difficulty contacting the support provider for this title, or if you have any further questions."

Despite my repeated attempts to tell them that Steam was the issue, they kept telling me to do stupid things like, verifying the cache, and deleting ClientRegistry, when I said in my opening ticket that I've all ready tried those remedies. And here they are, directing me to the very place that directed me to them.

Upvote 0
for now can you guys make a list of all antivirus/firewall hardware and software.
And your modem/router brand and type.

And finally all processes running at the moment of starting red orchestra (don't close everything specially for this occasion just keep it as it is after say a fresh reboot).

I'll try to see if i can see something, upload your redorchestra.log files too (so i can check all have thesame issues)

Does for all of you the issue started happening since the last steam update.

Is port 28902 opened in UDP?, before the patch this port used tcp and since the patch it uses UDP.

(i know that some of you already did some of the things in here, i just want to know for sure for all people having the issues, the more i get to know, the bigger of a chance i have in finding the issue).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No anti-virus/spyware/firewall installed, aside from the Windows Firewall, which is completely disabled.

I've got DSL, and my modem brand is "SpeedStream". This is the same modem I've had for years now, so I'm not going to go into too much detail on that.

I've all ready looked through a list of possible programs that might conflict with steam, you can view that list here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Out of those on the list, I've tested disabling the running processes, but here's a list of current processes when I try to load RO:

alg.exe - Microsoft Exe
CFD.exe
csrss.exe
ctfmon.exe
explorer.exe
IPClient.exe
ipmon32.exe
lsass.exe
mDNSResponder.exe
MotiveSB.exe - ISP Related
mpbtn.exe - Quicktime exe I believe
npkcmsvc.exe
nvsvc32.exe
PnkBstrA.exe - I've stopped both of these, but still doesn't work.
PnkBstrB.exe - I've stopped both of these, but still doesn't work.
rundll32.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
spoolsv.exe
SSDK02.exe
Steam.exe
svchost.exe - ISP Related
winlogon.exe
xfire.exe - I've got off xfire, and it still doesn't work
ycommon.exe - ISP Related
yop.exe - ISP Related

There is no Red Orchestra log currently, there's not even a RedOrchestra.ini yet, because I've reinstalled a few times, and cannot get it to launch via steam. If you want, I can try putting Steam.dll in there, and then giving you the log, but as of yet, there is not a log yet.

And from what I've gathered so far, yes, this only occured after that Steam update, which Steam Support loves to ignore.

Upvote 0
I'm running Windows XP x64 Pro and I'm having the same problem: Launch Red Orchestra, steam "Launching" screen shows, and then nothing. It does show up in processes though as RedOrchestra.exe, and momentarily in taskmanager. I've tried everything in this thread so far with no luck. I'm running both Avast antivirus and Windows firewall which I've tried making exceptions, opening ports, and turning off. So here's my log and list of programs running after a fresh reboot:

wmiprvse.exe
NMIndexingService.exe
KHALMNPR.exe
SetPoint32.exe
iPodService.exe
Core.exe
NMBgMonitor.exe
lxdiamon.exe
lxdimon.exe
rundll32.exe
iTunesHelper.exe
alg.exe
smax4pnp.exe
SetPoint.exe
explorer.exe
ashWebSv.exe
NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
ashDisp.exe
ashMaiSv.exe
GameSpotDownloadManager_Win32.exe
nSvcAppFlt.exe
svchost.exe
PnkBstrA.exe
nvsvc64.exe
nSvcLog.exe
nSvcIp.exe
lxdicoms.exe
lxdiserv.exe
LSSrvc.exe
Apache.exe
spoolsv.exe
ashServ.exe
Smax4.exe
jusched.exe
aswUpdSv.exe
Stean,exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
wmiprvse.exe

I'm not going to pretend I know what every one of those are, but I've recently run a virus/spyware scan with nothing there. Of course, its definitely possible I've got some. I've got a Linksys router which I've had for awhile without any problems, except for occasionally having to open a port or two. I hope this helps in some way.

Attachments

• RedOrchestra.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
So far the only weird thing i can spot immediately is the punkbuster, but was already tried. Algor Mortis in your log is something weird btw.

Index.rom?disconnect?Name=starwalker22?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=R_RKKAWinter1?team=1

it sais disconnect when in the startup command line when you start the game.
can you check if there are no weird stuff in the steam commandline for this game?

Upvote 0
I've had PunkBuster A & B, as far as I could work out it was due to the fact that I had installed ETQW demo and then went on to install the full game.
I had no other games using PB at the time.
At that point I had the 2 PBs running, if I disabled the processes and tried to start up QW's a second time it would crash the computer.
Never noticed a problem with RO or any other game.
The problem sorted itself out when ETQW updated.

Try this... End all PB processes or do it through msconfig.
Then see if RO crashes.

Might work, might not...

Upvote 0
This is what I have come up with so far...

I loaded a backup image from a fresh installed XP64, so my current XP64 installation can be considered as a fresh one with MS updates and obviously, new and fresh Steam install.

No go with XP64.

I installed Steam on other XP32 Pro partition on my multiboot system and succes !!!

Steam verified RO game files and after that I was able to launch and play normaly.

So, in my case it seems to depend on XP64, with is a sad because I have been happy to run the 64 bit windows as a gaming platform. Maybe an illusion, but it seems to be faster somehow...?

I have to boot to XP32 to run this game, I have not had time to try the the stone doggs procedure yet

Upvote 0
I've at least got a change here. I read through stonedogg's solution and tried that. It turned out I did have two clientregistry.blob files. So I deleted the one under the redorchestra system folder and tried starting the game. No luck. So then I thought I'd try deleting the normal clientregistry.blob. I did so, and now when I try launching the game I get the "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at a later time," after validating game files which happens in just a few seconds when it usually takes 30-40 seconds. I'm looking into solutions for the "Please try again" problem now.

Upvote 0