• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenades can really spoil the gameplay at times

DirtyRat

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006
Glasgow
www.outlawgamers.com
I know it's been said before, but i really do wish there were less grenades in this game, almost every fire fight is finished with grenades on the infantry maps, and it's quite frustrating particulalry on busy servers.

On the old C3ll server we had grenades limited to the assault classes only (1 nade for riflemen, 2 for SMGs, 0 for everyone else), which made things infinitely more playable, I wish other servers would consider doing the same.

I could agree with this most of the time and your loadout suggestion is good also. I wasn't aware you were able to limit the amount of nades. I thought either eliminate them from a class, or leave them at two....

But yes. You can tell that when you spawn and you see half the players around you immediately put a nade in their hand and start running towards the battle, what the rest of the round will play like. Also too often they are blindly lobbing those nades into the capzone and killing teammates who have managed to fight their way into it. I am often more worried about friendly nades than enemy ones as I can usually find cover that protects me from the blast from at least to sides, or maybe a shell hole.

Upvote 0
Case, one of the coders on the MN dev team made a small mutator which allows you to change grenade load outs for each class, and for each map individually..we used it on C3ll server for about 6 months and found it made the gameplay much more fun, grenades were still there, we just had it set up so they were more often used by the assault troops for clearning buildings etc.

Another idea I had was an ammo stock counter, much like the reinforcement counter in the game your team gets allocated a set number of grenades..at the start of the battle each player may get assigned 2 nades at spawn, but as the ammunition depletes, they may start to only be given 1 grenade, and then finally 0! This way people might think a little more before wasting all their grenades with random throws. Just an idea.

Limiting the loadout by class would be easier though.

Upvote 0
Nades are only a problem on the small maps that run on a 50player server. Its bull****, the loadouts are stupid and the overall gameplay tends to be dull. All those 50pl servers should either NOT feature the smaller maps or fix the loadouts...

I think the problem is that those cramped, overloaded maps breed players who have a habit of throwing blind nades, it's not only a problem with the maps.

Example: On mulitple occasions on some of the larger maps on the TWB servers, I frequently fight my way up in an objective, am holding the enemy off inside a bunker, trench, etc for a good long while. Then of couse some jerk comes along and sees "BUNKER = THROW NADE WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT'S INSIDE" because he's watched too many movies or something.

Or you get those brilliant guys who, while running with a group of people assaulting, throw a nade right into the path of your advancing squad.

Upvote 0
I don't see why people complain about it anyway. Keep your fingers near your sprint key and your eyes and ears open and you'll have a much better chance of evading grenades. Out of all the grenades I've had thrown my way, I'd estimate that less than half were cooked off, and most were thrown from a short to medium range which gave me time to get behind something solid.

Upvote 0
This is where the realism players and the other players usually end up at opposite ends of the spectrum - less nades = less realism, but would satisfy those who are opposed to 'nade spam'.

Best you can do is find a server that wants to run that mutator, because you'll always end up with a divide in the community on the issue. Personally, I'd be equally as happy with more grenades for some classes on certain maps.

Besides, the constant rain of explosive gifts is part of what makes RO so intense, as opposed to generic WWII shooter #139.

Upvote 0
This is where the realism players and the other players usually end up at opposite ends of the spectrum - less nades = less realism, but would satisfy those who are opposed to 'nade spam'.

Best you can do is find a server that wants to run that mutator, because you'll always end up with a divide in the community on the issue. Personally, I'd be equally as happy with more grenades for some classes on certain maps.

Besides, the constant rain of explosive gifts is part of what makes RO so intense, as opposed to generic WWII shooter #139.

I disagree, when nades are flying thru the air constantly, to me that seems more realistic. In the situations described above, it is as if the second players even think they are in contact with the enemy, nearly everyone and I mean that, lets go with all the nades they have. So in those situations above trying to say that less nades = less realism is more wrong than right.

And good lord man, to me generic WWII shooters are those nade spamming run'n'gun players and I want no part of that!!!! :p

Upvote 0
The current level of nades is too high imo, limit them to assault classes, even give them an extra nade, so they have 3, and I'd be happy, but everyone chucking nades around, is not realistic, particularly those who suicide run a position just to nade it, they know they are gonna die, but are happy if they nade it so it's clear when they respawn....this kind of thing replaces the use of real teamwork.

Upvote 0
The current level of nades is too high imo, limit them to assault classes, even give them an extra nade, so they have 3, and I'd be happy, but everyone chucking nades around, is not realistic, particularly those who suicide run a position just to nade it, they know they are gonna die, but are happy if they nade it so it's clear when they respawn....this kind of thing replaces the use of real teamwork.
Suicidal runs are an issue with lack of fear of death, not grenades. The best way to stop that would be to severely penalise a player's score for every death, not take away grenades.

Upvote 0