• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does Mare Nostrum (and other mods) bring you back to RO?

Does Mare Nostrum (and other mods) bring you back to RO?

• Total voters

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Well, we all know that the very first mod got released yesterday. Mare Nostrum provides RO with a much-needed breath of fresh air.

Yesterday in Mare Nostrum I played RO again after a huge break of like 6 months, and I can safely say that the mods carry RO to a whole new level. I think I'll probably play them instead of stock RO, more often at least.

So what about you?

No not really, i got alot of enjoyment out of RO, A LOT, but in the end, the nerfed weapons and the klunky movement of RO started getting to me, and Mare Nostrum is just more of the same really, its nice to see som new guns and all, but the gameplay is still very mechanic.
And lets not turn that into a debate, its my opinion and it's not going to change.

I still love the tactical element of RO, and do play every now and then, but it is a game of tactics to me, like a round of chess, not so much a simuation of combat, that immersion gets lost with the restrictive mechanics of movement and gunplay.

Upvote 0
...but it is a game of tactics to me, like a round of chess, not so much a simuation of combat, that immersion gets lost with the restrictive mechanics of movement and gunplay.

if you feel like RO is a round of chess, then youre not playing it properly. Its full of action when you dont lie on your belly just outside spawn...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I've been a simracing fan for many many years.
"Grand Prix Legends" Believe it or not! Is still my favorite simracing game after 10 years.
The underlying physics code is brilliant so its timeless by it self.
Graphics and mods have been released regularly for more than 8 years. 500+ addon track and much more.
Its like Red Orchestra only with wheels :D

Well one thing I've noticed over the years, with all games witch are "easy" to mod.
Is the impact it can have on splitting up a community.
Especially the online part.

Red Orchestra has a healthy number of online players today.
And for now it seams that the number of new players joining and leaving the game is somewhat balanced.

But this can change when new mods are released, as it may end up giving players less choices and variation in each individual mod.

I'm only thinking out loud and I'm not saying it will happen. ;)
But look at it this way.
RO has 30 active servers today. But they are not full all the time.
After the release of MN it shrinks to 15. When the next mod is released the number of RO servers drops again, and so fort.

Mods are important in keeping the community vital and active.
But having too much of the good thing isn't necessarily always a good thing.

And I think it would have been better if MN was on the server list in RO rather than just on the Steam list.

When that's said.
I believe Mare Nostrum will be a positive boost and draw new and old players into both RO and Mare Nostrum.

:)

Upvote 0
if you feel like RO is a round of chess, then youre not playing it properly. Its full of action when you dont lie on your belly just outside spawn...:rolleyes:

What he means is the oddz0r movementz0rz of your avatar, and the odd gunplay (switching to ironsights back and forth and firing in hip.. and firing from ironsights aswell!!!!)

Upvote 0

I have never been one to do that, but again, that is a tactical element, and the tactics required in RO are excellent.

Its the movement system and gunplay that fails to really simulate human abillity, its how you have to walk all the way around a small fence because you can't just mantle it, have to wait for the aim animation to get done playing before you can shoot, its the odd blance that is done with nerfing some weapons, but it doesen't really work anyway since guns dont jiggle around when we run, its alot of little things that makes the simulation of a human beeing with a gun in his hand feel oddly mechanical, unintuitive, and restrictive, sometimes the combat allmost feels round-based in some way, hence i compare it to chess.

Thease things didn't used to bother me so much, they have allways been there in RO, but the depth of the gameplay offered so much that i could ignore them and explore new tactics and whatnot, but i've been playing it since the mod, since UT2003, and i've "been there and done that" by now, and now thease little things are really starting to get to me, since all the rest, all the things RO does so well, nolonger has the same inpact on me, after so many years it is getting old, and the flaws are starting to show.

Such is the natural progression of things.

Upvote 0
Well, what the mod has allowed me to do is to actually play a nice full 32 man server with a decent ping. I never stopped playing RO by choice - it was that I couldnt. Not unless I wanted to play DanzigRemix or Arad. Seriously, I'm not just complaining here.. It's either those two maps or a huge 200 ping out across the pond - neither of which is fun. The North American RO scene has narrowed down to the RTR 24/7 Danzig server, a sniper-only server, and about 3 Arad 24/7 servers... thats it, thats all you have to choose from out here. And believe me, I've spent evenings trying to seed servers to no avail.

The mod is a breath of fresh air. I love how it is still the same RO mechanics. Well done Sandstorm! :cool:

Upvote 0
Probably not for long. It's not so much the ostfront scenario but RO's gameplay that's simply no longer my cup of tea. Since the mods add mostly content I doubt they can bring me back for good. I'll check them all out though.

DH won't just be content, they have changed the mechanics also.
some will love it, others might hate it.

Upvote 0
I can safely say that Mare Nostrum is not just going to be a content mod. In the open beta we want to break ourselves in gently first. Make sure we can add new weapons and vehicles first and then move on to altering your whole gameplay experience afterwards.

Besides at the start of the development process in our case so much coding time is spent on coding in our new content and making sure it works. Once this is out the way we have much more time to push the boundaries of RO and make MN a distinct entity. ;)

Upvote 0