• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is/are your favourite custom map and why

konigsplatz:to me in the beginning i used to surf from server to server, just to play konigsplatz all the time. that map was so different from anything i had ever seen before. i still love top play it.

pariserplatz: :p yes i like to play on my own map, thats why i made it. i thought konigsplatz was so great, i learned to map and made a sequel to it.

kriegstadt: one of a kind map, great gameplay and atmosfere. gave me great inspiration for the new beta's of pariserplatz

gorlitz: great CA experiences

odessa: for me the second best TW map

zhitomir: great map

tractorworks: have some verry good memories of teamwork on that map

tankmaps: for now i love debrecen, bdj is always fun, orel gave me some great memories.

funmaps: spartaaaaa! totalfun, motocrossGP

Upvote 0
Don't know how anyone could like BDJ, the map plays like crap. Also, I haven't posted in like 5 months.
What's up?
Don't bad mouth BDJ. :mad: ;)

Still gets played alot, win/loss ratio: the Russians win most often on a 70% + full server.

Quite a bit is up, AHZ stuff is out, Keystone has been puting out some great tank slugfest maps, the big 3 mods have had regular updates & I still get shot to bits by noobs who think I'm on the Allied side in my T34(r).

There are some cries for an urban/city tank clash map. Think about it MOZ.

Upvote 0
There are too many good maps!

But heres a few of my favorites. . .

Konigsplatz (first map I played almost two years ago)
Barashka (normally just ok, but had some great matches back in EFO on it)
StalingradKessel (one of the most well designed maps Ive played in a multiplayer game)
Kriegstadt (absolute masterpiece, I would call it a mini-mod)
PariserPlatz (another masterpiece Berlin map, amazing atmosphere)
BDJ (great tanking, great atmosphere)
Tractor Factory, Lazur, Klin, Berezina, Elnya, Roadblock, all of the AHZ maps are brilliant

Some maps that arent played enough . . .
Makhnovo Village (probably my favorite map, I have played some great scenarios on that map, just all around great memories on that map)
MyshkovaRiver (great potential and really captured the feeling of a snowy forest)
PartisanForestRaid(awesome concept, love the partisan theme, this map NEEDS to be played more)

Upvote 0
For me it's Smolensk and Zhitomir at number one, as both these maps really force team work. You're dead in the water if you can't get your side to work as a team, you're sure as hell not going to win by accident. Orel is great fun for tanking too, something I don't enjoy all that much normally.

But I really just wanted to say thanks to whoever flagged up the bridge TDM on here. I'm normally just on TWB servers so I'd never seen the bridge but thought I'd follow up some of the recommendations here. When that5 map loaded and I saw it was the MOH crossroads I just couldn't stop laughing. Brought back really good memories, even if I was laughing so much I got killed repeatedly (and I'm sticking to that excuse).

Upvote 0
One trend I am really starting to dislike in custom maps is linearity.

I realized this yesterday when I was playing the latest iteration of Pariser Platz. This is a beautiful map, and I really enjoyed it the first few times I played it: I particularly liked the addition of the ISU-152. But the more I've played it, the more disenchanted I've become--and I finally realized why.

Basically, from the Soviet perspective, Pariser Platz is just one frontal assault after another, with few opportunities for tactical manoeuvre. There's a reason why attacking Soviet infantry hug the walls on the edges of the map as they try to advance, and stay away from the open ground in the centre: they're trying to do what any smart soldier would do in this situation--namely, get around the flanks of the German positions. (That's also why they tended to disappear into the buildings, on the last version) Unfortunately, the opportunities for flanking manoeuvres are now quite limited, and play is quickly becoming stereotyped as a result.

This problem seems to plague a number of other maps as well, including Hubes Breakout, Krasny Bor, and Kriegstadt. The final assault on the Moltke Bridge in Kriegstadt is excruciating: there is no room for manoeuvre at all; I've seen a Soviet team spend forty-five minutes trying to get across that bridge, and fail. In map after map, I'm seeing one team being forced to attack position after position from the front--and you know what I've discovered? Frontal assaults are just not enjoyable. Turkey shoots may be great fun for the shooters, but they're not much fun for the turkeys.

Compare Kriegstadt and Pariser Platz to Danzig. Danzig starts with a frontal assault across the canal, and it's possible for the Germans to stop the Soviets dead at the bridgeheads. But once the Soviets have captured those first two points, the map really opens up, and provides a wide variety of play situations: it's possible to attack both of the remaining two cap zones from three different directions, or even four, depending on how you count them.

People who complain about 24/7 Danzig servers and blame Danzig's popularity on a preference for run-and-gun over sophisticated tactics are missing an important point: namely, that Danzig is a well-designed map; its later stages are quite fluid, and it rarely plays exactly the same way twice.

So I have one request to make of map makers: please--give people room to run around, and keep the flankless fronts to a minimum. That was the problem with the Western Front in World War I. There were no flanks to turn--and nobody wants to re-fight Verdun or the Somme. Do they?

Upvote 0
My favorites

Tcherkassy
Very nice infantry map with good balance. Fits very well with RO's gameplay and to me seems very underrated by the community.

Kolno
Not sure why flashpan didn't make a final version of it. It makes me sad to think of all the clan matches that could have been :(

Leningrad
A great map for pub play. I had many great games on it that have gone down to the last few seconds. This was the map that made me want to make maps myself.

Upvote 0
One trend I am really starting to dislike in custom maps is linearity...

Compare Kriegstadt and Pariser Platz to Danzig. Danzig starts with a frontal assault across the canal, and it's possible for the Germans to stop the Soviets dead at the bridgeheads. But once the Soviets have captured those first two points, the map really opens up, and provides a wide variety of play situations: it's possible to attack both of the remaining two cap zones from three different directions, or even four, depending on how you count them...

So I have one request to make of map makers: please--give people room to run around, and keep the flankless fronts to a minimum. That was the problem with the Western Front in World War I. There were no flanks to turn--and nobody wants to re-fight Verdun or the Somme. Do they?

i get your point, the problem is that danzig fits 10 times in pariserplatz and god knows how many in kriegstadt. so if all the players get flanking space on those big maps you will need to devide the same number of players over an area that is at least 5 times bigger, and you will end up with a desert-feel on the map. i think tractorworks is an example of the limits in RO, its a big map with plenty of flanking space and liberty, the downpart to it is that the forces are streched over a large area, and the large scale attack it is supposed to represent oftenly feels more like a skirmish. thats due to 50 player limit, you need to make choices, what area or building can be enterable, what street should be closed? if you would make all the buildings and streets completely enterable on big maps like kriegstadt, then you will be lucky if throughout the round you can see even one of the 25 enemy soldiers in this gigantic maze where thousands of soldiers faught in reality
thats why big combined arms maps in order to feel "epic" need to be linear and narrow, to give the feeling that there are hundreds of soldiers fighting each other.
and honestly thats imo what RO shines at compared to any other games, no other game can get you so close to what it would have been like to be there.
i don't think they asked the soviet soldiers how they prefered to cross the moltke bridge or take the reichstag, it was straight ahead with your battlegroup and don't ask questions

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well Desch I can see where you are coming from with your comments. With Kriegstadt the linearization is there to concentrate the players such that you achieve a large engagement within the scope of a greater conflict, which I feel creates ferocity and that so called "epic" feeling. Were the map to be taken and given delinearity on the level of Danzig, instead of that large battle feeling it would be just groups of 2-3 guys in random places and no centralized front. Now for Beta 3 I have been working on opening up a few more routes around and in to objectives, but they will just offer a different approach along the same axis. The goal is mainly to create a scenario that relies upon team coordination and larger scale tactics rather than just running any which way to get to an objective. The Moltke Bridge is going to stay widely the same, as when it comes to bridges there is no flanking and you must make it to the other side (unlike Barashka for instance). I have seen this objective taken by the Allies plenty of times, and it requires proper timing of movement and suppression of the German positions, and mostly intelligent playing. One can't expect running from one end of the bridge to other to work, and similarly a lot of Allied players seem to think that once they get in the capzone that everything will be okay but it takes some extra initiative from the players to push beyond the barricade and in to the buildings themselves. As I like to remind people, historically it took the Allies over 24 hours just to take that bridge and were only able to do so under the cover of darkness: taking it during the day in 20 minutes is a feat on its own, but very possible.

I tried something different from what is commonly accepted as being RO. Some may like it, others not. While it's not a very business-like response, I have no intention of catering to everyone in my work.

Upvote 0