• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any reason SLs don't always have bolt/semi as option?

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
Seriously... maybe this is realistic or whatever I wouldn't know but shouldn't the SL be able to at least choose bolt and possibly semi-auto instead of an SMG? I hate SMGs (except in rare situations and certain maps) but sometimes I basically have to take SL on pub servers if I want my team to have any chance of winning, depending on the map... I know a few (not many) maps let the SL choose semi but none let you choose bolt AFAIK.

Read kit description, why would you want to have a Bolt action rifle as a Squad Leader?
Move in to the capzones with your SMG, you count extra inside the capzone, thus capping it faster :p

naablet :mad:
I'm no naablet :mad:

Been playing this for 6 whole months!

Yes I'm aware that you count as extra in the cap zone but believe it or not I'm better with a bolt at close quarters than an SMG (at least if it's outside).

Give the semi-auto as an option at least I say.

Upvote 0
As far as I remember from ingame info or TW's infantry manual, the SMG for the SQL should be just for self-defense.
It's there to encourage you to lead the troops to the objective and not just plink at distant targets.
As I'm a MG or bolter too, I disliked the SQL role for a long time.
But after a while I found out that this role is supposed to find a weak flank, direct the
covering fire (of bolts and MG) and then take a leading role in the attack, hose down
some enemies and die heroically if outnumbered. This gives you first unlimited smoke nades (supply depots are often too far away or not available)
and also a moral boost for your troops; especially if you called in Arty first :)
With a bolt the SQL would be played totally wrong in my humble opinion,
he is a significant factor in offense and defense.

Upvote 0
Seriously... maybe this is realistic or whatever I wouldn't know but shouldn't the SL be able to at least choose bolt and possibly semi-auto instead of an SMG? I hate SMGs (except in rare situations and certain maps) but sometimes I basically have to take SL on pub servers if I want my team to have any chance of winning, depending on the map... I know a few (not many) maps let the SL choose semi but none let you choose bolt AFAIK.

This is set by the mapper, usually at the judgment of the mapper.

Most of the historically-themed maps try to stick with what was available and plausible for a SL to have at the time.. A Soviet SMG squad wouldn't likely have a SL with a rifle at all.. and an earlier-time Axis side squad wouldn't likely a Semi-Auto at all (SMG maybe, kar98 definitely as an option).... if the squad/unit is an Assault Group, chances are they would have smgs..

.. some of the fun maps will let you pick whatever the mapper wants. :]

*shrug*

Part of the reason to have an assortment of weapons is because of the timeline of development (during the war).. if RO didn't care about that and just stuck with the stereo-typical weapon for 'role X in the German Army', then there'd be no point in making anything but 1 of each type weapon.. and that's no fun.

Upvote 0