• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Best new PC game of 2007 (take 2)

Best new PC game of 2007 (take 2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well.. SP- The Witcher and for MP- TF2, we should have 2 votes for this kind of poll.

And why didnt Stalker make the list?

First off - this poll is meant to be indicative of the kind of thing RO players like so I tried to include all potential candidates from related genres, letting the voters decide if MP or SP was more important to them.

Secondly, I thought STALKER came out last year (but maybe it just seems that way to my old, addled brain).

So far, I am not surprised to see TF2 and CoD4 duking it out. It will be interesting to see how the competition between the two develops.

I suspect that in a months or so's time when more people have maxed out the achievements in CoD4 it would rate lower but, then again, the comedic novelty of TF2 may wear thin as well.

Duke...hmm ..that reminds of another one I forgot :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The Grand Puba of Elitist Pricks said:
then again, the comedic novelty of TF2 may wear thin as well.

Yeah. Wicked little game with how polished everything is... but constant area of effect weapon spam makes for the most yawn inducing gameplay. I had enough after about a week and a half. Cute, slick delivery.. but not my type of gameplay.

>_>

-Elitist Prick

Upvote 0
Ok so I voted Stalker cos at the time it was the only one i'd bought and tried. However theres a reason for that- it is exactly what I think PC games should be all about, (lookingglass/ionstorm) and i'm pretty sure it would be my fav even having played the lot tbh.

Since voting I have played TF2 (crimbo pressie) and have to say within 2 mins i knew this was something special. So If there was one i would give it MP award and mention for artistic impression. But it is the evolution of an existing successfull game so I would still stick with Stalker.

Ok so I havent played others- Witcher sounds interesting, portal will be great - and i'll enjoy Bio thou i'm already braced for a certain level of disappointment.
By the time I can actually run Crysis I will be picking it out of the bargin bin.

The others? i'm not inspired...

Upvote 0
Stalker is obviously the correct choice here.

I just can't wrap my brain around why my fellow RO players seem to love TF2 so much. I played a few rounds that was enough. I've never come across such a shallow, boring MP game. Everything that I love about RO is absent here. It's like the anti-RO.

COD4 rocks the MP with turbo counter strike gameplay but again, a lot of the things that make me like RO are absent, most importantly large maps and a nice ballistics model. SP is pretty mediocre with some bright spots.

Quake Wars and Crysis both are very strong contenders, but the Crysis MP is garbage, while not creating enough of an atmosphere to put it over the top of Stalker in the SP. Quake Wars is a beautifully intricate MP game, but it just comes down to me liking a well paced and written single player game over MP.

I admit I have not played anything but the demo from the Witcher, but from what I've seen, this just might be better than Stalker. Has the same gritty atmosphere that it seems only an eastern european developer can bring but unfortunately all the non-gaming BS (family, parties, skiing, etc) I have to put up with over the holidays will keep me from playing it until January.

Upvote 0
TF2 because it really is what on-line fps is made of, I go way back to Boot Camp.

I am playing TF2, ETQW, & UT3 all top notch although UT3 is having trouble in its early life.
Stalker is a really good game and has that little extra that makes it stand apart.
A pretty good year all in all...

The only game I am not playing that I bought this year is Armed Assault.

Upvote 0

I just can't wrap my brain around why my fellow RO players seem to love TF2 so much. I played a few rounds that was enough. I've never come across such a shallow, boring MP game. Everything that I love about RO is absent here. It's like the anti-RO.

/Elitism

TF2 is a great game, and that's a fact. Here's why:
  • Tons of teamwork;
  • Extremely balanced;
  • All classes are different, but still need each other;
  • The characters are unique, and they have tons of character and cool facial expressions: the brute Heavy, the gentleman Spy, the German medic, etc... and all of them are voiced by talented voice actors;
  • The graphics are original; stylized and influenced by old art and movies... you don't have to be a designer to see the brilliance here;
  • It's unpretentious: it doesn't try to be 'realistic' (that would be boring and shallow), no... it tries to be fun. Remember that thing called "Fun"?;
  • It has some of the funniest comedy ever put in a game, it's hard not to laugh out loud;
  • The personal stat-system;
  • It's newbie-friendly: you see a class-specific tip every time you die and in the loading screen, etc;
  • The ability to 'dominate' someone;
  • ... and much more.
But I guess you prefer the usual mediocre, clich

Upvote 0

COD4 rocks the MP with turbo counter strike gameplay but again, a lot of the things that make me like RO are absent, most importantly large maps and a nice ballistics model. SP is pretty mediocre with some bright spots.

Quake Wars and Crysis both are very strong contenders, but the Crysis MP is garbage, while not creating enough of an atmosphere to put it over the top of Stalker in the SP. Quake Wars is a beautifully intricate MP game, but it just comes down to me liking a well paced and written single player game over MP.

I admit I have not played anything but the demo from the Witcher, but from what I've seen, this just might be better than Stalker. Has the same gritty atmosphere that it seems only an eastern european developer can bring but unfortunately all the non-gaming BS (family, parties, skiing, etc) I have to put up with over the holidays will keep me from playing it until January.

I for one find CoD4 to be extremely shallow and a rehash of what has been done before. The only good thing in CoD4 is the Tchernobyl mission.

TF2 however has been nothing else but fun for me, i'm continually laughing my *** off while still being a serious enough game gameplay-wise, there is teamwork, and by Jove, the characters are great :D
It's hard not to smile when you see the Heavy coming around the corner with a big grin on his face yelling and screaming that he's coming to get you while shooting his minigun :D
Or the Demoman yelling like a drunken man, not caring who he annoys, or the Pyro mumbling insults through his latex mask while running after people setting them on fire, or or or... i could go on forever :p
More often then not it's like watching a cartoon, it just rocks.

Upvote 0