• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Computer bits vs New guitar

New Computer bits vs New guitar

• Buy the PC bits

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Buy the guitar

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Crazy Option 3 - Go get a prostitute

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
Here is a nice neck through Carvin :cool: I don't know if you come across any used in the shops around there, but 500 pound is pretty close to $1K correct? http://www.carvin.com/guitars-in-stock/single.php?Serial=100740

They are the Guitar of choice for Alan Holdsworth.

carvin.jpg

carvin2.jpg

Here's a link to their catalogs pdf dl page, it is so nice it is worth the dl. http://www.carvin.com/catalogpdf/

Upvote 0
Just buy the axe man, that way you can play games AND play guitar. I don't think your PC is bad at all.

Epiphone make good guitars (I have a Les Paul Standard), and whoever said that Gibson would "never allow Epi to get close to the real thing" is wrong, it's actually right the other way around. Epiphone is the only company that is allowed to recreate the Les Paul shape, because guess what, Epiphone is owned by Gibson.

You buy a guitar for life (imo), but computer parts have to get replaced after a year or two.

Upvote 0
Forget epiphone, try to find yourself a japanese gibson replica as suggested. The one I got you can tell more it's a replica because the diamond design thing in the head is misaligned, but I've seen others that it'd take a real guitar expert to notice. They sound great too, but you'll always want to slap some new pickups on it.
I got http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-GIB-LPC-AW.html# for less than $600 IIRC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just buy the axe man, that way you can play games AND play guitar. I don't think your PC is bad at all.

Epiphone make good guitars (I have a Les Paul Standard), and whoever said that Gibson would "never allow Epi to get close to the real thing" is wrong, it's actually right the other way around. Epiphone is the only company that is allowed to recreate the Les Paul shape, because guess what, Epiphone is owned by Gibson.

You buy a guitar for life (imo), but computer parts have to get replaced after a year or two.

I was talking about sound beside the only thing gibson can lay clame off is the headstock model and with epiphones those still arent the original gibson design. And those japanese 80 clones are often said to be better than the gibson counterparts. With a group of followers of their own.

Ibanez is pretty well known these days, the reason they got popular was the lawsuit guitars or so people call them (lawsuite guitars are the guitars that stole the headshape aswell and are pretty much the best things for the budget)

Upvote 0
A hand made Carvin will most likely smoke any Jap Les Paul Copy. Just look at the components like Sperzel Locking tuners. Things like that signify quality.

I mean if you folks buy guitars because of how they look... be my guest. :D:rolleyes:

Gold Plating Shiny!

Well sound is personal for people and if people want a les paul sound as i guessed the OP wanted, then he should get a les paul as simple as that.

Those japanese copies are said to sound a lot like the typical vintage gibsons (50ies and 60ies) that sell for too much money. People pick guitars for wanting the sound they have often there is no such thing as a better sound. Sure the tuners are better although some of those jap guitars game with sperzels, gotoh and schaller tuners. (and to be honest locking tuners are a bit a waste of money :p normal tuners take like 1 second less to tune up).
I actually saw a Greco Ace Frehley les paul (aka 3 pickups) (and the guitar came with some some sperzels originally i believe) on ebay some time ago.

If someone dreams of a les paul he should just get a les paul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But he cannot afford a $3500. Les Paul, and The Epi's are sub-par. IMO.

Sound is more from construction, components, and neck & fret work anyway. You can get a guitar from a custom shop like Carvin with whatever pickups you want, I like the humbuckers with the switch to make them single-coil. Ace.

Jup epi's are sub par the japanese copies from the 80ies (and earlier) are not :p

But anyway its up to the op what he wants, i personally love the guitar i made myself and it fits me. but the op wanted a LP in the start and if he wants a LP then a japanese copy would be a good idea. But if he knows what he needs exactly for parts and wood and can get a custom guitar that fits the bill then he should go for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0