• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Computer bits vs New guitar

New Computer bits vs New guitar

• Buy the PC bits

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Buy the guitar

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Crazy Option 3 - Go get a prostitute

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

SheepDip

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
The Elitist Prick Club
Well. Simple as.

Currently have XP3700+ 7900GT + 2GB DDR400

Do I upgrade my RAM and GFX, or do I buy a new guitar? - One of these to be exact.

BBTY-d237052b2cee68c28a1a28fa8e7b5eb3.jpg

You decide!

Well. Simple as.

Do I upgrade my RAM and GFX, or do I buy a new guitar? - One of these to be exact.

You decide!

If you get the Guitar you may not need a prostitute...

If you get the GFX and RAM, you surely will.

I would get the prostitute, it's a sure thing. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
your system should work pretty well for most current games beside dx 10 games that dont work well on any system (and you probably cant get something that runs things perfect for the price of that epiphone)

Go get a guitar, but look if you can possibly get something nicer for the same price. Maybe looking a bit into 80's japanese replications. Or some of the newer brand. Aslong as epiphone is owned by gibson they will never let it come close enough to the real counterparts.

Upvote 0
your system should work pretty well for most current games beside dx 10 games that dont work well on any system (and you probably cant get something that runs things perfect for the price of that epiphone)

Go get a guitar, but look if you can possibly get something nicer for the same price. Maybe looking a bit into 80's japanese replications. Or some of the newer brand. Aslong as epiphone is owned by gibson they will never let it come close enough to the real counterparts.
I would get a G&L, that's what became of Leo Fender after CBS took over.

They have several different models, not just the single coil dominant line that Fender is known for. G&L's are better than Fender American Standard's, I would say a good G&L could give the Fender Custom Shop a run for its money. :cool:

The make models in Gibson style too if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0

Your Videocard outperforms MOST new videocards such as Geforce8600GTS

It performs in between the 8800GTS and the 8600GTS so you should be pretty good for the next 8 months or so.

Your CPU is potentially as fast as it gets for a mobo using DDR400 Ram.

Because now everything runs on DDR2-667/800... DDR400 is more expensive. (not worth the upgrade since you already have 2gigs)

I would think you can run COD4 at high graphics with your rig...

I am a computer guy... not an artist... and I say get the guitar !!!
Your PC is still Pretty good for a while... unless of course you are a hard core gamer who needs something for Farcry2 / Crysis and whatever other crazy games come out.

Now I am VERY curious as of what CPU you have
AthlonXP's end at 3200
Then it goes to Athlon64 3000 to 3700 On the 754pin mobos (who got dropped real fast unfortunately)
Then Athlon64 3000 to 4600 I think on 939

Well those are for the ddr400 memory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well. Thanks for the "get a prostitute votes"...it is my birthday soon!

As for my system specifics

http://penstarsys.com/reviews/tech/amd/a64_3700/index.html - my CPU

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/uk/3d_graphic/overview.asp?lineid=1&pronameid=253 - My Graphics card

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939SLI32-eSATA2&s= - My Mainboard

I forget the RAM manufacturer and specifics, it is running dual channel 400mhz according to BIOS, even though the CPU is said not to support it in that link I just posted...My graphics card is PCIe, and I have a free slot for the possibility of SLI.
Anyway, here's what CPU-z says.
CPUZ.JPG

Soundcard is Audigy 2.

I'm not really a whore for games any more, I might like to play Crysis (I installed the demo and never played it through fear), I've no real interest in it if I was honest. Or anything else floating around for now...Kane and Lynch maybe.
But the newest thing I'm playing is the Witcher, which I could do with running on higher settings. Not that I have any problems with the way it looks at the moment...I considered just picking up another 7900GT for a boost in graphics performance in general. Probably set me back around

Last edited:
Upvote 0
to play crysis, 2x 8800 ultra's in sli would not even cut it

When you upgrade your system it will probably have to be a full blown update

Like new Motherboard, Memory, Videocard and Processor.

Aka you need to pay a ****load of money and you get something in return that probably cant even play crysis well. Your current system can run cod4 and all UE3 games nicely enough and at this time an upgrade is not worth it i say upgrade your comp next year around this time or if some game you really want suddenly releases upgrade it in the summer. Upgrading your system now is not worth the money.

So either stash your money or just buy a guitar (the latter!)

I'd say search for a Tokai/Burny/Fernandes/Ibanez/Orville/Greco/EL Maya/Kasuga les paul from the 70ies or 80ies with a set neck. Top model guitars from the matsumoku factory are wanted but alot of the brands are just not known. Tokai and Ibanez are pretty much known but all these guitars were pretty much the same if you go for the top models. Especially Orville Greco and Kasuga can often sell for cheap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0