• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modern PPSh

Do they use many of those in Iraq? :eek:

The first ppsh looks pretty cool.. :)

Haha, none. They are staged. Rather... They are simply out of context.

If a soldier has used one, it was a bad idea, an extremely isolated incident, and if anyone over him found out about it, he would surely have been chewed out.

Used for fun shooting into a river bank..... Sure why not?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have friends in the 82nd airborne, the USMC and the Rangers all of whom have told me they have seen in 2 cases and used in 1 case this weapon in house clearance training. It's not something they would take to Iraq or Afganistan but the US army and USMC (and navy...all my friends seem to have shipped off to the military lol) seems to be encouraging the troops back home and training to use old weaponry they may run across to see what it feels like and how it performs. It's the old thing about knowing your enemy. the guy in the navy who i just mentioned even said they got some range time with some old SMLEs coz the Iraqies got a load after ww2 from the Brits and apparently they still pop up quite frequently today. So to summarise it wouldn't be a stretch (and indeed i've had it confirmed to me) that the PPSh is being used by US, Navy and MC personnel for training purposes but i can't say more than that coz i simply don't know.

Upvote 0
It was replaced by the 9x18 which had superior stopping power (if we are to use this term) against humans.

This was because the 7.62x25 had far too much penetration power and left most of its energy somewhere behind a human target. The 9x18 deposited more of its energy in the target. Sure it penetrates car doors but who's doing this with a pistol? You can also produce a cheaper blowback pistol to fire the 9x18, whereas the 7.62 requires a more complex locking mechanism.

Still good for sub guns? Not compared to the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 which replaced it in the submachine gun role.

It's better than some things but in the context of what replaced it, it was logically doomed.

Yep, but with armored vests being the norm, the 7.62x25 makes perfect sense. This is why the Tokarev round is making a comeback and the 9mm Mak is going away.

And also why Russia is not yet getting completely rid of the 7.62x39 AK over the 5.45x39 AK. Their special forces still have the 7.62 version in stock.

Upvote 0
The AK needs to move forward, the AK1xx series is just basically the same old rifle with polymer furniture. I think they need to make some upgrades, like doing something about the safety/selector switch and perhaps receiver mounted aperture sights (would increase accuracy).

I like what the Finns did with the Rk in making the selector switch able to be pulled outwards and shifted silently.

Upvote 0