• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

24/7 Danzig hurting the NA RO community?

Nobody forces you to visit the forum and there are many others who love that forum

No the main problem is the huge ammount of Beta maps custom map servers run, and how you can play one map one day and the next day that same server will run 4 different versions of the same darn map over and over agian with only bug fixes and a few changed sky boxes/statics.

People wan't to play the core game, not the damn craptacular fan maps that get two versions made every ten hours. We are sick to death of fan maps that crap out the server after 10 minutes ingame. We wan't to play the game as the devs wan'ted us to play it. IE offical maps!

Upvote 0
Haha. So true.
Besides, its not just that these 24/7 servers exist and loyal Danzig fans can have their fun on them. These servers also function as some sort of magnets that pull players to them who would otherwise play on other servers as they aren't die-hard Danzig fans but just want a good game in a full server no matter the map.
When a country is generally low on servers with a low ping, this starts to be a problem even for those who do want to play on another server like B-Hoernchen suggested!

Upvote 0
No the main problem is the huge ammount of Beta maps custom map servers run, and how you can play one map one day and the next day that same server will run 4 different versions of the same darn map over and over agian with only bug fixes and a few changed sky boxes/statics.

People wan't to play the core game, not the damn craptacular fan maps that get two versions made every ten hours. We are sick to death of fan maps that crap out the server after 10 minutes ingame. We wan't to play the game as the devs wan'ted us to play it. IE offical maps!

You should be carefull when you use the word "we"

Upvote 0
My take on dwindling US numbers,

I've played for about 6 months now (having actually gotten good on various weapons while playing/practicing on 24/7 Danzig servers) so I still considered my self a semi-newbie. My opinion (and those of some others I have VOIP'd with) is that the only thing killing RO is RO itself.

It is impossible to please everyone (some like the cap o meter, some don't) and impossible to fix every bug (we just have to deal with moving in the prone while aiming and instant spin around the axis while prone) however this has to be the most inconsistant game I have ever played. I have lost count of how many times some of my KAR-98 shots have not registered. I have been wounded and killed while perched on platforms from 150 meters out by a guy hipshooting a PPSH at full spray while other times I have walked up to an aiming PPSH'er at 10 meters and didnd't get touched, an MP-40 may or may not wound someone at 50 meters. One good thing is that I only occasionally get a scoped rifle since the scope crosshairs suck. And then there's the tank combat (please forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse).

Understandable that tank combat was never meant to be as big as it is now, however unless the dev's intended to remove tank combat altogether tank combat needed a serious revamp. BTR-4s should not survive a shot by a 75mm/L48 at point blank range. I've seen a KV-1 hit dead on at point blank range in the engine by a StuG III and the KV-1 just kept going at top speed like nothing happen, yet I actually seen a PzIII take out an angled IS-2 in one hit from 700 meters out.

One other possibility about the dwindling numbers of US players:
If the X-Play review is any indication about the dumbing down of the United States, then this game was in trouble as soon as it was launch, and if that's case then no one in the RO community is at fault for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Down with Danzig :mad:

24/7 Kriegstadt was converted to wo0t's fun server (it is his server after all).
Chances are when Beta 3 is released we'll roll it back to 24/7 Kriegstadt for a week or two.

Additionally, there is a 54-player Battle of Berlin server (hosted by PzDF), but it is in Europe and hence not the best choice for NA players. It is out there though. Would be nice if AHz made their 50-player server for just the big custom maps, but ultimately nobody's server usage is my business.

I love Sparta and Riflez n Bayos, but like Danzig there needs to be rotation.

Upvote 0
i typed up a nice long post but stupid piece of **** firefox ****ed the whole thing u

i typed up a nice long post but stupid piece of **** firefox ****ed the whole thing u

Danzig is the map that ofers the newb to get warm with the game. I really love the map, since its well thought out and booth sides can win. I played nothing but danzig the first 2 months i got into RO. I dont have anything against Danzig 24/7..what really boothers me is that people vote for it on a good server while everyone perfectly knows of the availability of the map 24/7....;)

People get turned down by RO for several reasons...it might be hard to get into...you might up end up with the rifle...its in the hands and minds of the player itself to overcome the obstacles and learn from their mistakes..if they dont...its not the games fault.

Allthrough i agree that you encounter alot of the same people over and over, but in my experience, the gameplay for the individual get just better, given that said individual is open minded enough to develop a certain strategy to survive...rather than disregarding Danzig 24/7 servers, i whould encourage the use of the Voip more....;)

If you want a vital RO scene..do something about it. It might not click on the first try, but i had enough people i played with on pub who where thankfull enough about a warning, not going a certain path or going around that dangerous corner because enemy was there. HOW the **** should they know if noone is comunicating with them ?

Said that..USE THE VOIP....its there for a reason...

I typed up a good little post with a lot of good little points but lost it all :( So here's again my few comments.

Somebody mentioned that 'zig is a good map for new RO players. I disagree for several reasons:
1. The k/d ratio for a new RO Player on 'zig would be 1/300.
2. He would then try to spectate/follow other high scoring players only to learn a generally less better way to play RO.

The reason I think that is because of this:
There are 2 'zig servers in NA, although it's more like 1 - the RTR one, because when it gets full the overflows go to the FK one to practice on bots. By experience and IMHO 80% of people on a 'zig server been there before ahhh let's say... at least a hundred times. I'm sure some players know every single rock, tactic/strategy that is out there. Also if one has good memory it becomes very easy to predict with a high chance of truthability where a certain individual is going to be. The whole game becomes either: killing the largest possible amount of people using the most humiliating way i.e. stabbing or getting as much points as possible, beating your old record, etc..... The second point is also called as statwhoring I think. And God forbid the teams are unbalanced (# of players or skill-wise), the map then becomes a bloodbath.

My point is that Danzig is not the best choice for new ROPlayers. It teaches gameplay that shouldn't be the first type of gameplay taught to ROPlayers. I feel that other default and custom maps are better suited for new ROPlayers.

======
To OP: completely agree
====

My comment regarding the dwindling community - I do think the number of active players have declined considerably over the recent times. At a very good playable time over here in California there are only 4 or 5 servers with fully human players. The list goes something like that:
RTR Danzig that is full/FK 'zig with 10 people
ro-arad
some TWB server that I'm banned from
some other TWB server with the voting option turned off
and as people mentioned above probably something like ro-EXTREME-L33T-1337-OREL-EXTREMELY-HEAVY-GANGBANG-DAY23of365-pzdf

My point is there are only 2 or 3 servers that are playable at very good gaming hours. IMHO that clearly indicates the RO community is dwindling. To OP: although I don't think anybody can accurately say that too much 'zig is the reason for the decline.

======
My last point, directed to server administrators. Turn the god damn mother****ing VOTING on. If somebody can't fall asleep and wants to play some RO at 3am, and doesn't want to play 'zig
don't ****ing make him to play some piece of cum eating piece of horse **** map that nobody on the server wants to play for 50 ****ing minutes. The server like that becomes empty very very fast. And if you don't want certain maps to be overplayed i.e. Danzig just remove them from the maplist. There's no need to force ALL players to play maps that they DON'T actually want to play. Bring democracy back to RO please.

==
Cheers
-p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Suggestions:
- Voting ON
- Map rounds limited to ONCE for larger/long maps, TWICE at most for smaller maps...even three rounds is a lot.
- Force the number of NEW maps to rotate before a played map can be re-voted.
- Admins stay on top of the betas for custom maps. If you are going to run custom maps, do your job and update betas and remove early versions. WAIT a couple days before adding the *newest* version because more than half get retracted and reposted within hours due to some asinine issue.
- Seed servers. Really. And if necessary, vote up old Danzig to attract the flies to the sh!t...then endure a round and vote up something new. Get them in the door and then keep them there with good game play.
- Players: try to recruit new blood if possible. Do what you can to support the game.

Upvote 0
I think overall the gameplay in RO needs attention. Folks are getting tired of the capture stuff. Some new mods (with some new gametypes) would be nice, but they never seem to appear, and I think many of the folks that were waiting a long time for those have moved on to other things. The ease in hipshooting since the big patch, and other issues have hurt the numbers as well. Although those who enjoy that will argue against it. Even though Danzig is the most COD2-ish map (hence its popularity), I dont think that alone has effected the numbers decline. But hey, theres other games coming down the pipe. This one will either compete, or it wont. Time will tell. Either way, I've gotten way more than my 20 bucks worth of fun out of it. So all is well in the universe. :)

Upvote 0
Why not have a NA-Community tag - add each other to steam and play together..you could fill a server if theres enough of you or at least get it started. Just swap to the NA-C (or whatever) tag for pubbing and go back to your normal tag for clan games. You could make a thread here in GD to get people aware of it and keep the first post updated with a list of steam names of members etc.

Upvote 0