• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Compulsory Team-Tanking?

Commiekazi

Oct 18, 2007
I've read quite a few threads lately about how everyone is supposed to team-tank, but no one actually seems to do so. So how about this: How difficult would it be for a server to implement a mutator to disable position-switching inside the tank?

If position-switching were disabled, the first person into the tank would always be driver, and would be unable to switch into the turret. He would have to pick up a second person, or drive around unable to shoot. If he then picked up someone who wanted to drive, they would both leave the tank and the second person would then enter first, thus becoming the driver. If possible, though, my hypothetical mutator would allow tankers to swap into the third position (hull MG) as long as, but only if, there is more than one person in the tank.

So any modders out there willing to give this a shot? I'd love to see a server running this with a rotating map schedule of Arad, Black Day July, Debrecen, and Ogledow. Then we'd find out how many real team-tankers there really are.

Not debating good or bad on solo tanking . . . .

Not debating good or bad on solo tanking . . . .

I would like to know if it's possible to set up a server that way, and if so if anyone would play it. I play almost exclusively on one or the other of the 24/7 Arad servers (usually AradAradArad) and when I do I almost exclusively solo tank.

But, I see threads constantly praising the virtues of solo tanking and I'd love to try team-tanking enough to know how to work really well with a partner. I don't see but just a select few even try it, and when they oppose me I don't have any more trouble taking them out than I do a solo tanker. In fact, it's often easier because the driver doesn't always maximize his deflection angle. He angles, but it's not always as well as a solo tanker commonly does.

So I was thinking that if everyone had to team-tank, everyone's skills in this regard would improve - and those of us who don't normally team up might give it a try if we didn't have to "go find a partner while we're already on the dance floor". Compulsory team-tanking would break the ice. And frankly, it would settle whether team-tanking is all that some make it out to be, or is just overblown.

Upvote 0
Tankers should just automaticly spawn in tanks with teamates. I mean it's retarded that if your a tanker you spawn with no tank, like who the hell would send a tanker out on the field without a tank?

During the battle of Stalingrad, when Paulus told Hitler they couldn't advance because the tanks were being destroyed in the well defended city rubble. To Paulus's shock and dismay, Hitler then order the Panzertruppen to dismount and fight on foot.

Of course, this probaly one of the reasons the Germans lost the battle... But personally, I think its better for the soldiers to spawn outside so they can pick their tanks.

Upvote 0
The problem is that team-tankers are a rare breed. I'd say at least 70% of all people playing RO don't know how to properly use a tank. Or more specifically: drive a tank.

They have no clue about tactics like angling and hull-down, simply because the game doesn't explain them how to do it. There is no tutorial so many people are completely left in the dark in the world of tanking, except the ones who play a lot or read up in the official manual. This is why TW's next game needs a (mandatory) tutorial. The in-tank communication options could be better as well.

Upvote 0
I think a good way to encourage team-tanking would be to modify the scoring system. Whenever a tank destroys an enemy tank, that tank's entire crew should receive equal points for knocking it out. The driver does play a role in properly positioning and angling the tank to help the commander destroy enemies. This might also help to eliminate fighting over positions in the spawn.

Upvote 0
During the battle of Stalingrad, when Paulus told Hitler they couldn't advance because the tanks were being destroyed in the well defended city rubble. To Paulus's shock and dismay, Hitler then order the Panzertruppen to dismount and fight on foot.

Of course, this probaly one of the reasons the Germans lost the battle... But personally, I think its better for the soldiers to spawn outside so they can pick their tanks.

I have just found a new level of stupidity for Hitler...

Upvote 0
I've read quite a few threads lately about how everyone is supposed to team-tank, but no one actually seems to do so. So how about this: How difficult would it be for a server to implement a mutator to disable position-switching inside the tank?

If position-switching were disabled, the first person into the tank would always be driver, and would be unable to switch into the turret. He would have to pick up a second person, or drive around unable to shoot. If he then picked up someone who wanted to drive, they would both leave the tank and the second person would then enter first, thus becoming the driver. If possible, though, my hypothetical mutator would allow tankers to swap into the third position (hull MG) as long as, but only if, there is more than one person in the tank.

So any modders out there willing to give this a shot? I'd love to see a server running this with a rotating map schedule of Arad, Black Day July, Debrecen, and Ogledow. Then we'd find out how many real team-tankers there really are.

So you weren't into the suggestions on the "what the hell its wong [sic] with tankers" thread, presuming you read them?

While I think code changes which allow some servers to encourage TT may be a good idea - to do so by smearing araldite on the seats is taking things a bit far mate.

Upvote 0
So you weren't into the suggestions on the "what the hell its wong [sic] with tankers" thread, presuming you read them?

While I think code changes which allow some servers to encourage TT may be a good idea - to do so by smearing araldite on the seats is taking things a bit far mate.

Actually, that's the thread that got me to thinking about this the most.

I'm not saying that the game should be changed to demand compulsory team-tanking every time, 'cause I certainly don't do it about 90% of the time myself. But, if there are "Rifles & Bayoz" sites and maps like SPARTAAAAA that handicap infantry in order to bring out a certain aspect of the game, why not have a compulsory team-tanking site and/or map? I know it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but then again neither is compulsory bayonet-charging. Team-tanking ought to be at least as worthy.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Because every "leet snipah" can shoot 100m shots on the move, full speed in a T34, and penetrate a P4, learn the critical hitpoints on each enemy tank, estimate ranges so the first shot hits every time, and hit a fast moving P3 at 900m.

Yeah, gunning takes no skill. :rolleyes:

Now, you know that the way MOST people gun in this game has NOTHING to do with that. Good aim at long range is impressive, yes. Hitting on the move is also impressive, but how often do most people team tank to even be placed in such a position? Plus, that still requires good driver/gunner coordiation. Memorizing the vulnerable spots isn't hard to do, it's just time consuming and most people don't bother with it. Guaging range also isn't that hard.

But, more importantly, you're comparing a mechanical skill with tactical know-how. Any nimrod can hit "forward" and release the key. The mechanical skill involved isn't all that impressive. But more goes into tank survival and success in the field in terms of where the tank goes, how it gets there, and how it's positioned once it's there are all key to the gunner being able to do his job.

I'm not saying there's no skill involved, mind you. I'm saying that -- at least with stock RO -- the skill involved is relatively easy to learn. If you're on target to penetrate, you'll kill in two shots. Once you get the hang of estimating range, the rest is pretty easy. One-shotting is impressive, sure, but most of the time it's unnecessary. If you're up against one guy you'll probably survive the engagement even if he hits, and if you're up against multiple targets, you'll probably be dead by the time you get round to hitting the second target (unless their aim stinks).

Maybe gunning came easily to me, but I honestly just don't see it as all that difficult once you get the hang of ranging your shots. To me, the real action is in maneuvering and doing so in a way that keeps you alive the longest to keep gunning.

Upvote 0