• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need advice on Mosin Nagant

Also, what about the Finnish Mosins? Any way to tell if it was used in the Winter war?

Well, most of the Finnish Mosins manufactured before 1939 have seen action or at least were issued in winter war. Finnish army had very severe shortage of rifles on that time, so most of the pre 1939 Mosin rifles around have been issued.

But othervice I think it is quite impossible to tell more precise, if individual rifle has or hasn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, most of the Finnish Mosins manufactured before 1939 have seen action or at least were issued in winter war. Finnish army had very severe shortage of rifles on that time, so most of the pre 1939 Mosin rifles around have been issued.

But othervice I think it is quite impossible to tell more precise, if individual rifle has or hasn

Upvote 0
Or if you are getting gouged.

I know what you mean and generally I agree with you, but I tend to take a long term look on collecting since I plan to own them for the long run.

Several years ago I brought a SVT-40 for NZ$700 with bayonet and proper cleaning kit. Then I saw the auction prices for these wasn't that much, about $300-$400 and I even brought a second one for $300. So I was a bit boot with the amount I paid for the first one.

Now they are selling for $1,000 and I still wouldn't part with either of mine for that amount.

The thing with military surplus rifles, especially those that are 60 years old, is that they don't make them anymore and demand is slowly growing. Not growing at a rate that'll make you an overnight millionare but enough that you'll make your money back in the long term (should you want to). Maybe not as much back as if you'd have left the money in the bank, but then you'll be having more fun with the rifle than you could otherwise.

Upvote 0
I know what you mean and generally I agree with you, but I tend to take a long term look on collecting since I plan to own them for the long run.

Several years ago I brought a SVT-40 for NZ$700 with bayonet and proper cleaning kit. Then I saw the auction prices for these wasn't that much, about $300-$400 and I even brought a second one for $300. So I was a bit boot with the amount I paid for the first one.

Now they are selling for $1,000 and I still wouldn't part with either of mine for that amount.

The thing with military surplus rifles, especially those that are 60 years old, is that they don't make them anymore and demand is slowly growing. Not growing at a rate that'll make you an overnight millionare but enough that you'll make your money back in the long term (should you want to). Maybe not as much back as if you'd have left the money in the bank, but then you'll be having more fun with the rifle than you could otherwise.

I understand where you are coming from, but that does not really apply to me. I don't see my military surplus as "investments" that will gain value over time because I simply do not plan on selling them. That being said, even when they do go up in value, there will be an acceptable price for them. Costs will rise as sellers will see what people are willing to pay. That's basic capitalism and it happens all the time on the surplus market.

Upvote 0
I understand where you are coming from, but that does not really apply to me. I don't see my military surplus as "investments" that will gain value over time because I simply do not plan on selling them.

I'm in the same boat as you, pretty much because I'm acutely aware that if I were to sell my collection, it would be pretty much impossible for me to get it all back again.

Which is why I firmly believe in the idea "if you can afford it now, then buy it" even if it is a little more expensive because you may well be thinking back on that missed opportunity with regret (like the mint matching Portugese crest 1941 Kar98k with bayonet for $500 :().

Upvote 0
just ordered a mn91/30 from AIM, and a 10 pack of strippers from cheaper than dirt. gunna order some of that russian surplus ammo from AIM tomorrow i guess. i got pissed before because i got the cheaper than dirt magazine and saw some better surplus 7.62x54r but when i looked it up on the site it says it was discontinued and i couldn't get it, i mean wtf why even put it in the catalog then. i kinda wanted to get some ammo that had the cool looking silver tip and grey shell casing but whatever.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack this thread but it does deal with the Mosin Nagant. I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/59 from Aim and pending on the condition of the rifle I would like to purchase a Russian PU 3x scope for it.

Question: The scope mount will work on that particular rifle correct?

Question: Anyone know of a website that sells the PU scope with mount? All I can find is Ebay where it cost around $185 (US). I hate the fricking bidding process/sending money order crap, and am not a fan of Paypal. Also, I was thinking the scope might be cheaper someplace else.

Thanks...

Upvote 0
Does this apply to the carbines as well (M44 for example) or just the 91/30?

Also, what about the Finnish Mosins? Any way to tell if it was used in the Winter war?

Any 91/30 with a 45 or earlier date was at least issued in WWII. Any carbine with a pre-45 date was issued, and probably 80% of the 1945 ones were issued as well.

As for Finland ... well, let's put it this way: Russia didn't -sell- Finland a single Mosin rifle.

Not to hijack this thread but it does deal with the Mosin Nagant. I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/59 from Aim and pending on the condition of the rifle I would like to purchase a Russian PU 3x scope for it.

Question: The scope mount will work on that particular rifle correct?

Question: Anyone know of a website that sells the PU scope with mount? All I can find is Ebay where it cost around $185 (US). I hate the fricking bidding process/sending money order crap, and am not a fan of Paypal. Also, I was thinking the scope might be cheaper someplace else.

Thanks...

I bought some of the incidental parts for my PU sniper from www.accumounts.com. I already had the scope, etc., but they've got GREAT quality on their parts, and really good service, too.

Yes, the PU scope / mount will work.

There's also a Weaver adapter available (I have one, it's great!) that mounts to the PU scope base, so no further butchering is required to mount a real scope.

But, in all seriousness, I'd recommend buying a repro sniper, if you can't find one of the PU rifles that were de-snipered following WWII ...

Upvote 0
As for Finland ... well, let's put it this way: Russia didn't -sell- Finland a single Mosin rifle.

I should add that Finland did, on the other hand buy Mosin-Nagants from everybody else and they also had the ones left by the Russians at the end of the Russian civil war.

That said, almost every Finnish Mosin would have been a combat captured rifle, either in the Eastern front of WWI, when the Russians left the Baltic states or captured by the Germans during WWII or by the Finns themselves in the Winter and Continuation wars.

As an example my m27 Mosin was built on a 1905 Izhevsk receiver that had been through a Austrian Army depot (i.e. captured by the Austrians during WWI) and then re-built into a m27 by the Finns.

Upvote 0
I should add that Finland did, on the other hand buy Mosin-Nagants from everybody else and they also had the ones left by the Russians at the end of the Russian civil war.

That said, almost every Finnish Mosin would have been a combat captured rifle, either in the Eastern front of WWI, when the Russians left the Baltic states or captured by the Germans during WWII or by the Finns themselves in the Winter and Continuation wars.

You are mostly right, but I just specify a little bit.:)

Finland was part of Russian Empire untill December 1917 ( independence day is 6.12).

And originally one part of the Mosin-Nagants were captured by White Guards from Russian garrisons (Russian soldiers were still present in Finlad) in the beginning of the Finnish Civil war, beginning in January 1918. (Russian civil war lasted till 1920, the war itself has actually nothing to do with the Finnish Mosin-Nagants.)

Other half of the original Mosins came from the Bolsheviks as help to the Finnish Red Guards, who were fighting White Guards.

These two sources make the earlier "collection" of Mosins-Nagants.

These rifles also made the base of the Finnish army rifles after the Civil War.

Finnish own Mosin-Nagant models were build just as you said. Using captured or bought receivers.

Later alot of captured weapons of Winter war and Continuation war were issued to Finnish troops. These rifles were 91/30 series, not the old model.

Upvote 0
Ummm, now I'm a bit confused. One person says I would need to take my 91/59 to a gunsmith and have a different bolt to have the PU scope put on, and another person says it should attach without any problems.

The 91/59 is basically a cutdown version of the 91/30, correct? Just wondering as it doesn't seem right that I would need a different bolt and some gunsmith to drill holes in the rifle to make ascope/scope mount fit.

Anyone have a 91/59 with a Russian PU 3x scope attachment on it?

Upvote 0
i'm pretty sure if you attach that scope and try and cycle the bolt it will hit the scope because there isn't enough room, that or your hand will it hit, so thats why you need the bent sniper bolt.

and a 91/30 didn't come with holes for a scope mount, they have to be drilled, and also i think part of the reciever was grinded down also so there was enough space. i'm not an expert here its just something i remember reading/seeing.

Upvote 0
Ummm, now I'm a bit confused. One person says I would need to take my 91/59 to a gunsmith and have a different bolt to have the PU scope put on, and another person says it should attach without any problems.

Mosin Nagants were never designed to accept scopes. Unlike modern hunting rifles they do not come with rails for mounting scopes as standard.

To get around this problem a mount needs to attached to the rifle by drilling new holes in the receiver. In the case of the PU scope, the holes are drilled on the left side of the receiver and some of the stock needs to be cut back so that there is room for the mount.

This needs to be done by someone competent so that everything lines up properly otherwise you'll have no end of grief.

Then there is the issue of the bolt. Mosin Nagants have straight bolts, so that when you mount a scope, there is no clearance for the bolt handle to pass underneath it. To get around that problem you need to either cut the handle off and mount it at a downwards angle, or get one of the sniper style bolts with a bent handle.

Upvote 0