• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Return RO:CA

Hi,

so please im curious give me a reason why i should try the mod?

Will do, sir :).

For my part, first its all about the athmosphere. Dunno, but almost no map i've played in roost so far could give me the feeling i had on 60-70% of the mods maps. Take MoscowHighway f.e... never experienced a pc game before where u actually could FEEL the temperatures being far below zero in a map.

The overall dark and gritty feeling is what i totally loved in the mod.

Quite a long time i couldn't name it, until last year when i was trying to port RoadToBerlin over to roost i finally discovered what i suspected already... its the textures.
Having both the ued map editor and roed open u can see the difference quite obvious: Take the mods trees, f.e. they're totally different to roosts, less strong in color, more tones of brown/ grey etc. Same goes for most of the static meshes textures, all in all they tend to be more colorful in roost. And while i was trying to move that cold and rainy late afternoon november feeling RTB featured over to roost.... i found it quite impossible to effort and stopped porting at that point.

Well, its a matter of taste, i know, but all in all i really prefer the mods artwork; it always gives u the feeling in participating in some frightening, not-so-comfortable event. Actually, how a war feels like, i guess.

If you're a new mapper for roost, i'd totally recommend you to have a look at the mod, it really could provide you a totally different perspective on how the game could feel/ look like.

Don't get me wrong, i like roost for what it is, all in all the gameplay did improve, i think. Especially the weapon handling/ movement is superior to the mods.

Another reason which bothers me: The whole stuff is still out there, hosted by several providers, maintained by lotsa distributions... and gets totally ignored by everybody. I guess its the usual way of thinking in the gaming community "something newer must be something better". Nay, i'd say, different but not naturally better. I'd say RO 3.3 is still a great game, available for everybody and downloadable for free -> just try it out :).

I understand TWI why they don't wanna promote their prior work anymore, not only because of selling their new baby, but also as artists who want to show something new. Nevertheless i think it doesn't hurt ANYBODY to download and play 3.3... more likely it gives players used to roost another view on the RO universe and might get new players interested in trying out roost. Personally, i got really sad when the mods board at clanservers.com vanished... it contained so much useful reading. Still would love to see a mod section in these forums.

Last but not least, if you're really interested in roost and its history, this is a great opportunity for you to actually experience that history :).

just my 0.02$,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To me the biggest change of feel was the fact that it was a lot harder to spot enemies in the moddays. Now soldiers stand out a lot more from the background, they are less concealed, wich makes killing them easier, and 'forcing' people to play more careless, knowing they dont have to scout out ahead before moving cause it's so easy to see people most of the time.
Wich is why i love Kriegstadt by EvilHobo, it's got the grittyness the mod had, with darker uniforms etc wich blend into the environment much much more.
Every time ive played that map, ive seen people behave 'realisticly', instead of the way most people move about in for example StalingradKessel, simply because its much harder to spot enemy soldiers, and they really can be everywhere.
And smg-soldiers usually dont spray and pray as much, as the streets are less confined and more open, making it an unvalid tactic most of the time, and they only do it in buildings wich comes across much better to me.
In the most stockmaps smg's have the ability to use spray and pray tactics very well most of the time, wich is just annoying and thanks to the animations look like **** as well (what i mean to say is, would the character hold the weapon shouldered and then spray you, it would look much better then when he is holding it loosely at his hip, and the sidestrafing doesnt help that feeling either. It just looks gamey and not right)

How does making it harder to see the enemy make it more real? Or better? If it is easier to be seen it stands to reason peeps would be more apt to crawl and be more careful. To me your arguement makes no sense. And personally I would rather have 25 servers to pick from rather than ten like back in the mod days.

Nostalgia is great, but get over it and move on.

Upvote 0
How does making it harder to see the enemy make it more real? Or better? If it is easier to be seen it stands to reason peeps would be more apt to crawl and be more careful. To me your arguement makes no sense. And personally I would rather have 25 servers to pick from rather than ten like back in the mod days.

Nostalgia is great, but get over it and move on.

When the enemies are harder to see you are more carefull. You cant kill what you cant see.
And there are ways to conceal yourself better in real life that you dont have in a game, so it seems more real to me that enemies are harder to spot.
Have you played the mod? I'm having trouble getting my point across, so i guess you'll have to see for yourself.
In general, people dont seem to care about them being seen, but they do care about enemies that are not seen, and they act accordingly to that.
People use more spray and pray tactics in a stock map then in most custom, more gritty maps like Kriegstadt, and ofcourse design of the levels contribute to that.

Upvote 0
As some of us can say and in my case this is the honest to goodness truth. I was visiting the RO forums and site before the mod was even released. I remember running out and buying UT2003 just to play RO. Then not long after having to buy UT2004 to do the same. I remember all the hoop-la when the "Make Something Unreal Mod Contest" was announced and monitoring the dev teams progress.

I am tired of all the "I wish it was like the mod days" talk. RO is better than ever and has a great future.

Upvote 0
I have one last comment and then I am done with this thread. I feel the visuals in RO now much better represent that of real life. It is not hard to see someone a hundred yards away. In some maps in the mod days it was difficult just to see the sights on your rifle. How this was a good thing, I have no clue. And yes its harder to kill what you can't see, but it's also easier to be killed by what's not seen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry if i fail to see in how far your "RO is better then ever" or "turn down your contrast" is "valuable input". You never even made a point to this thread beside "its all nostalgia anyway".
And well, several showed that its not only nostalgia.

With your words "get over it and move on"

Upvote 0
Christ,

why is it that usually everybody gets pissed off so fast about the "mod talk" here? :rolleyes:

In my post above i just wanted to point out that the mod still exists, is still a good game and is available for everybody. As well as i wanted to express my personal taste of art in this game. I didn't want to say what is better or worser, in fact i think both versions cannot be compared that much. Nor do i implement that playing the mod or having played the mod makes you l33t or something (maybe thats why these discussions get so heated? :D).

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
sorry if i fail to see in how far your "RO is better then ever" or "turn down your contrast" is "valuable input". You never even made a point to this thread beside "its all nostalgia anyway".
And well, several showed that its not only nostalgia.

With your words "get over it and move on"

All of my posts speak to - what's the point? And that is my point. We're not going backwards so lets move on. This whole thread is about personal taste and I have every right to express mine.

Upvote 0
I miss the feeling of MG's in the mod :( I also agree with that maps in the mod felt much more darker, gritty and had a war feel on it. Of course, except Jucha. RO: Ost is much more colorful and bright, and this takes a bit from that "war" feeling. It's not about "Contrast", it's something changed in the engine and of course, textures.

I think Mod is better than Ost "feeling" wise. IMO new cap'o meter is a bad choice, old one always excited us thinking "I wonder how many are in cap? Oh sh*t they started to cap, how many got in?" this encouraged communication. Now, you'll instantly know how many got in, do they have a commander etc. Blinking objective icon is another big mistake, I mean what the hell? Why do we have to magically know it's being capped?

Oh yes, I've had my monthly Ost rant.

Upvote 0
Can I recommend to all you ladies that still like the Mod, that you join the few of us that still play it (mostly on Saturday nights). We have all the old maps and loads of custom ones also.

I have to agree with worluk and gitano in this thread. The Mod is so much more "simpler" than Ost. For all the reasons mentioned earlier. One of the worst features Ost implemented was the "capzone meter". You sneak into a capzone which has 2 or 3 defenders. They "see" you appear in their "capzone meter" and nade any spot you might be hiding in.

Take Odessa for example... you sneak into the capzone and your presence is "announced" by "capzone meter". What happens next? The defenders rain down nades at both sets of sandbags on the left and right flanks! That happens in real life - yeah!

Also worluk mentioned how maps are so much more linear in Ost. Absolutely agree! Remember the old Berlin map? Any of the 3 objectives could been capped first. So which one did you defend? Just 1? Only 2? All 3? It made for much better gameplay overall.

So not only does it have a better atmosphere but it also had more open and tactical maps IMO.

All are invited to come join us for a few games. However you might want to leave it till a weekend night when most guys are playing. You can also check out funlevel.net or our own |Ez25| forums.

Upvote 0
Personally, as I suggested before when the mod came up, I don't think that it should be a matter of reverting back to the mod, but rather modding RO:Ost to make it like the mod. We have a number of features here that the mod didn't, and a slew of other improvements. But with those you also get things which make Ostfront feel more like a game and less like a war -- and the war feeling is what drew myself and I'm sure many others to RO.

Upvote 0
The capping was better in the mod. It was also great that you needed more than one man in a capzone to even start capping (e.g. backroute). It encouraged teamwork.
Also the movement had more momentum in the mod if I recall correctly. We got a few nice new movement options that I wouldn't want to miss (crouched sprinting, diving to cover, LEANING) but the overall movement feels more gamey in Ostfront because there is less momentum.

Those are the two things I would like to see brought back. More momentum and the old cap-system.

Upvote 0
Ro

Ro

hmm, i wonder how you would be able to judge if Ostfront became more "gamey" than the mod when you never played it yourself....

a valid argument is, that the mod had a way different feel for many, and many miss those days. A part of that might be nostalgia but well, there were changes and some might think some things were better in the mod.
I for one, though i like playing Ostfront, would say that it doesnt have the same addicting feel to it the mod had.
As for changes:
-mapstyles
-indication of enemies in the capzone
-blinking icons on the OH map

...along with several pretty small things like not being able to stop reloading on scoped rifles anymore or less variation of the uniforms. But well, it's the small things that make a big part of the feel of a game to me.
All in all I think all, even (or especially) the devs will agree that Ostfront is drastically different from the mod.

Agreed. These changes plus things like the flaming tank shells and other "dumbing down" features make RO differ from the mod. I remember the feeling I had the first time I rolled across the mod fields in a formation of panzers; its lessened now. Somehow it felt like an accomplishment to take an objective, to adjust tank fire according to the puff of dust on the ground when firing on a t34 across the field instead of watching the meteor streak across the sky.

Set up a mg in an objective and watch the cap bar to know when an enemy is near, or watch the map and rush to the flashing icon. Strategic playing is now more of a liability.

Upvote 0