• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop the press! An idea that involves crosshairs! - Tank Communication

Conscript

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
England
As most of the other players who were involved in the recent public beta testing know, the main focus of the test was the new tank maps. As I was involved in this, for the first time I found myself spending alot of time playing tank maps, and with so many players, I was often a driver. Now, being as I didn't really have a lot to do, it gave me time to think and I think I might have come up with an idea that would not only make the tanks more effective and easier to crew but would also make the job of the driver and perhaps machine gunner more involving.

Target Identification

As a lot of you know, driving the tank can be a little tedious at times. It's OK when your up close in the action, but I found a lot of my time spent just sitting waiting for a move order while the gunner gets to shoot stuff.

Now, a secondary role of the driver is obviously being a second pair of eyes. Fair enough, but its a shame that there's no real effective way of communicating with the gunner. If VoIP is being used then its fine, but a large proportion of the RO gaming community don't use it. There's a fine set of vehicle orders and commands built into RO already but none of them really useful for identifying targets. "Enemy ahead" is usually enough but if I want to warn the gunner that there's an enemy target at 8 o'clock, it involves me hitting 'I', typing it, and hitting enter....by which time it's usually too late.

My proposed idea (and here's the shocking part) is to give the drivers view a crosshair. Nothing extravagant.....just something to indicate exactly where the driver is looking. Then, integrate a system whereby when the driver clicks Fire (Currently both fire buttons are unused in the driver position), he calls out a target over the tank radio (ie, "Target, tank, 8 o clock, long range"). At the same time, on the gunner's clock display, an icon shows on the 8 o'clock heading to warn him of the target in the direction that the driver was looking when he clicked. The range call could be based on how far away the target is based on whereabouts the cross-hair is pointing on the ground. Should the target be destroyed, dissapear from view, or in some other way no longer become a threat, the driver simply clicks secondary fire to cancel....calls something like "Target down"...and the icon from the clock display disappears.

Simple but effective no? So instead of all that clunky typing, as a driver I can now simple look straight at a target, click once, and immediately call out that targets location to the gunner. It would make the whole process smoother, and give the driver an added responsibility. It might also be an idea to give the MG the same capability.....except he of course, uses his secondary fire.

Navigation

The system could of course be used in reverse. Perhaps an idea would be to give the unbuttoned tank commander a similar cross-hair. Then, call he has to do is point the cross-hair somewhere, press a button (I guess it would have to be a dedicated button...the two fire buttons will be in use) and you hear a call along the lines of "Driver, proceed xxxx" (x being "to way point", toward the designated clock heading or simply the nearest point of the compass). Then, the driver sees the required heading appear on his clock display, and again, simply has to follow that heading. I did toy with the idea of suggesting that he should get some sort of way point marker appear on his screen when the gunner pointed his cross-hair, al

One of the better suggestions I've read here in a long time. It actually wouldn't be unrealistic at all. Because currently tank communication is rather cumbersome, how realistic is that? In real life tank crewman can communicate much more efficiently. So the crosshair would be some sort of compensation.

However, maybe instead of a crosshair it could be done with hand signals instead, or something.

Upvote 0
I have to say that I agree wit that suggestion fully, though in my opinion it would be better if the crosshair wasn't visible, it would still be roughly centered in the middle of your screen, but you just wouldn't see it, I think this will help keep with the realism of the game. And perhaps the commander will only be able to call targets using his binoculars?

Upvote 0
it's a good idea, if not implemented we at least need a local vehicle VoIP.
intensive teamtanking requires almost a non stop communication between crewmembers, and thats annoying for all the other tanks who hear you say: little to the left, stop, move back stop, turn right, move forward STOP! etc...

and i dont like to use the VOIP when everybody can hear you, i would like to use it if it was local. because sometimes you find a good driver\gunner on a server and start working together and have fun. with those kind of players i would like to talk.

i aleady know the "enemy left flank" enemy in front"... etc commands by head, but it would be nice to have a more precise message

Upvote 0
This idea is good, but it would take some work to get it right.

My suggestion would be to change the driver voice commands from general move orders, to gunner targeting orders. Right now when I drive a tank I tell my gunner beforehand that if I yell "Turn Left/Right" that means he should turn his turret that way because I've spotted a target there. Why not change the voice commands for the driver position to "Target Left/Right" and other similar commands to replace the movement orders?

Upvote 0
I purchased the game a couple months ago and I am just beginning to climb the learning curve for tank operation, but I can already see that this would be a great suggestion. Representing a fresh perspective, I can tell you that I've had a lot of experience in other strategy/FPS/simulators and the lack of efficient communication between cremembers really has make me shy away from joining a crew with nearly anyone save those instances where I join a server with a friend specifically to crew a tank.

That being said I had an idea yesterday while playing the new tank map, Krivoi Rog, and found it mentioned on these forums a few times that would work in conjunction with the crosshairs/clock position communication.

Having a dedicated tank commander's position in tanks that had a three man turret crew would help out a lot. In the limited time I've played the game I've already seen situations where the tank driver's limited visibilty really restricts their chances of detecting targets not in front of the tank's hull. Particularly in a map like Krivoi Rog, with lots of shallow trenches, I find that the driver position often cannot see past the ridge ten meters in front of the tank. This happens whenever your tank is 'hull down.'

Allowing the driver to switch to the 'commander' position when the tank is stopped and firing would give the crew a realistic level of situational awareness neccessary to stay alive and assess threats. In addition, I would suggest allowing the commander to utilize binoculars through the commanders' cupola. There they can assign 'crosshair directions' or help see distant targets to give out more precise target commands. (as of now I have had trouble utilizing the cupola properly)

I appreciate your patience if this idea has already been run through as I did a brief search and found only a few discussions related to this topic.

Upvote 0
good idea. small tweak though. the range shouldent be given, and it shouldent depend on there being a real tank there. so the driver could misidentify something and warn the commander, which wouldent happen if a tank had to be there for it to be called in.

overall very good idea. though i would just usualy say "geT A MIC!!!!!111ONE"

Upvote 0
Id buy THAT for a dollar!!!! Nice idea.

It can be frustrating as a driver trying to spot targets for your commander (especially if they're not as up to speed with the game as some). It would do wonders for international team tanking too!!! I could tell someone who doesnt speak any english or polish where targets are and vice versa!!!

I think it might also be nice to give the driver bino's. Useable only when stopped, mind. Cuz when i play long range tank maps and im driving for someone, i often find myself asking the commander "is thats a freindly tank over there. Miles away at 11 o clock??" Invariably it is, and my commander blows it up.. :rolleyes:

But if i could just stop roll my mouse wheel up some more and check thru my binoculars rather than getting out and checking (that too can end in disaster - when my man drives away with the tank..) we might avoid that.

But definatelly a big YES for the targeting tick.

Upvote 0