• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation KV-1B and KV-2

Captain Obvious

Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2007
USA
kv1_render_01.jpg

kv2_render_01.jpg

New additions to the RO arsenal; the KV-1B (1941) and KV-2 heavy tanks.

Expect to see the KV-1B in MinionWorkz's Elnya map.

Both tanks will be implemented to the game courtesy of TT33 and the guys that Minionworkz. Since both tanks share the same chasis, it should save alot of work implementing them into the game. Both tanks will also share the same driver interiors, and have similiar turret interiors.

Now, both tanks were very powerful, particularly the KV-2. When they made their debuts on the battlefield, the Wehrmacht did not have many weapons which could destroy these Soviet beasts. There has been discussion on the forums before about implementing such tanks, and how their use in the game would mean a clear Soviet advantage due to their power (if their operational capacity was accurately reflected in the game). All were valid points, but I hope the discussion about the tanks revolves not on whether or not they should be implemented, but rather on what we can do to make their implementation work. It will take skill on the part of mappers to put these tanks in situations where their use will not mean a decisive tactical advantage for the Russian side.

Here is some techinical info on the KV-2[1]:

-334 KV-2s were built.

-The KV-2 had a combat weight of 52-54 tons, almost as heavy as that of the Tiger I.

-The KV-2 could rotate it's turret 360 degrees in 36 seconds.

-Rate of fire was 2-3 shots per minute with an experienced crew (36x round capacity).

-It had four machine guns (bow, turret rear, co-axial, and an MG for air defense).

-The armor thickness of the front of the turret was 110 mm.

-Max speed was 34 km/h.

An important weakness of the KV-2 was that, due to its immense size, it was only capable of accurate fire on nearly level ground, and turret rotation was impossible if the tank was sloped. So even a relatively small tilt of the tank rendered it useless. This would be an interesting feature to have implemented into the game, as only certain areas on a map could be used as an idea spot for the KV2 to conduct combat.

It also should be made known that after Early 1942, hardly any KV-2s were in active serivce. However, this is complicated by the fact that Russian sources did not distinguish between the KV-1 and KV-2 in their reports[1]. There is atleast one report of the KV-2 seeing action in 1943, but not confirmed. Most of the battles involving this tank took place during Operation Barbarossa. Only one KV-2 survived the war and is currently on display in Moscow.

Hopefully the introduction of these tanks will encourage more early war maps. Alot of thanks should go out to Minionworkz and TT33 for helping to get these new vehicles into the game for the community to enjoy.

[1]: KV-2: Soviet Heavy Breakthrough Tank of WW2 by Jochen Vollert (Tankograd Publishing)

Hopefully the introduction of these tanks will encourage more early war maps. Alot of thanks should go out to Minionworkz and TT33 for helping to get these new vehicles into the game for the community to enjoy.

[1]: KV-2: Soviet Heavy Breakthrough Tank of WW2 by Jochen Vollert (Tankograd Publishing)

lol yeah will be great fun fighting these ugly monsters in Panzer 4 F1 and Panzer 3 :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Upvote 0
These are indeed gorgeous machines. 'Elnya' will feature the KV1, but only with one active at the main Russian tank spawn. The German tankers will be pressed to flank this monster so the BTs may now need to support their big brother more so than they do with the KV1-S. I have another map that is moving close to alpha testing which would make use of this tank also.

I have a small scenario laid out for the KV2 which will be a huge departure from the typical stuff that I do. I really hope it works out well.

Mappers will of course, be responsible for intelligent implementation of these tanks as they could be as tilting in game play as a Tiger against a slew of BT7s in early war maps. But I trust that mappers will strive to balance their scenarios enough to allow the KVs to dominate if used properly and if the Germans cannot work together to eliminate them. I can already imagine a lot of screaming over VoIP to "KILL THAT DAMN KV!!!!!". Should be some fun stuff to come out of these.

Movies and more propaganda to come as soon as Teufelhund gets these running around. I'm more excited about these variants than anything to date. HUGE thanks to CO and TT33 for working with us to bring these to life. Outstanding work and hopefully only the beginning of what we can roll out in the next couple months.

Upvote 0
kv1hitseveraltimesxx0.jpg

Hit over 30(!) times only on the turret side (without any sign of penetration), this KV model 1940
was finished by side hit by an 88

The only way the Germans were able to achieve successes against the heavies in the early months was
1. by concentrating the fire of many tanks, in some cases an entire battalion (!) at ranges of 100 meters or less, which in many cases only caused damage.
2. by maneouvering to the flanks and rear and opening fire at ranges of 50 meters or less, which in many cases again only caused immobilization.
3. by coordinated fire on the tanks of all weapons, (which destroyed or separated the enemy infantry). Infantry and pioneers would then climb up on isolated or immobilzed enemy tanks and apply bundled stick grenades to less impervious areas, such as turret overhangs, etc.
4. repeated non-damaging hits which caused the enemy crews to abandon their vehicles because of the noise and concussion.

Upvote 0
kv1hitseveraltimesxx0.jpg

Hit over 30(!) times only on the turret side (without any sign of penetration), this KV model 1940
was finished by side hit by an 88

The only way the Germans were able to achieve successes against the heavies in the early months was
1. by concentrating the fire of many tanks, in some cases an entire battalion (!) at ranges of 100 meters or less, which in many cases only caused damage.
2. by maneouvering to the flanks and rear and opening fire at ranges of 50 meters or less, which in many cases again only caused immobilization.
3. by coordinated fire on the tanks of all weapons, (which destroyed or separated the enemy infantry). Infantry and pioneers would then climb up on isolated or immobilzed enemy tanks and apply bundled stick grenades to less impervious areas, such as turret overhangs, etc.
4. repeated non-damaging hits which caused the enemy crews to abandon their vehicles because of the noise and concussion.

It has the dismantled hull mg . Possibly it was made with crew. When has left the tank. It has very deeply sunk in a dirt. Most likely it was a training target.

-Max speed was 34 km/h.:D:D:D

Upvote 0