• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Uniforms Discussion (Merged 18 times!!)

You don't need to create more uniforms to add more variety. You add little things to each player classes uniforms to distinguish them.
E.G. a map case and pistol holster for the team leader, a belt of ammo around the machine gunners neck, tank destruction badge for pak soldiers, camo helmet cover for the sniper, gefreiter rank for stosstrupen

Upvote 0
You don't need to create more uniforms to add more variety. You add little things to each player classes uniforms to distinguish them.
E.G. a map case and pistol holster for the team leader, a belt of ammo around the machine gunners neck, tank destruction badge for pak soldiers, camo helmet cover for the sniper, gefreiter rank for stosstrupen

But why not add those great ideas to some new uniforms? Winter camo for Germans, Camo uniforms for both sides (The waffen SS werent the only German soldiers with camo uniforms.. they were just the most prevelant.)

Upvote 0
Take into account that WSS was _elite_ unit and therefore it _has_ to be in everygame and therefore WSS used camos _must_ be ingame.

No-one cares about a boring Heer soldier wearing a Zeltbahn with Splinter A pattern.

If it was up to me I would have the Waffen SS in the game with fully accurate uniforms, and their division mark on the tanks (which I think is another cool idea) but I guess some people would get offended. :(

Upvote 0
I dont understand why everyone gets offended or perceived to be offendended by a symbol of a historically accurate time period and events. If you are that offended are you not equally offended by all the virtual killing in RO? So why are you even playing or associating with something that might possibly offend you. It just boggles the mind. People need tougher skin.

Upvote 0
If it was up to me I would have the Waffen SS in the game with fully accurate uniforms, and their division mark on the tanks (which I think is another cool idea) but I guess some people would get offended. :(

Well historically I would like to see WSS included too (and NKVD also), but on the other hand why Heer is often "underlooked" ?

Comparing (just general idea) total about 19 million people that served in Heer vs total about one million WSS volunteers, which one would be much more common?

But then, everyone would use WSS' _elite_ reputation as a good 'excuse' why they need to be everywhere in the first place. Sure some unit(s) might have fought in many places and such, but generally I would like to see something else than _elite_ all the time.

But as I said - it is very boring to be just a common soldier in german army and that your only 'real' camouflage 95% of time would be your faithful Zeltbahn with Splinter A (or splittertarn, whatever you prefer to call it) pattern. Isn't it?

But besides, Zeltbahn is multi-usage tool compared to tarnjacke. One reason why I would wear Zeltbahn over tarnjacke in almost any situation.

Upvote 0
Regardless of politics, the Waffen-SS were a unique and relevant fighting force of Germany during World War II. I'll just cast my vote yet again for some type of Waffen-SS camouflage implementation, like the old RO beta mod had. ;)

Heer is also quite relevant, but personally I would prefer to see model where we see a BASIC Heer soldier wearing a ZELTBAHN and possibly a camoblanket in his helmet. But as I said - most people find it boring to be not elite and to use have something that sounds so simple.

Problem is that as much as people would like to see WSS ingame (or NKVD), problem is we are not going to see them officially. And besides, even when we speak in non-political matter why we need to have elite units everywhere? No-one still have answered that question.

And generally speaking, people always seem to mention lack of camouflages, when even the basics E.G. on the german side are quite inaccurate E.G in late war maps. But does it really matter? Who cares that some small gear is incorrect and such, when you notice that "Hey omg we don't have camouflages ingame zomgabob I want them now."

Really, no offense, but I find that quite funny.

Upvote 0
I did not say the Heer was not relevant, they are beyond that...they made up about 91% of German land forces. This has nothing to do with 'eliteness' and I don't think anyone is advocating we slap camouflage on every player model and replace everything with SS. We don't have 'elite' units everywhere, we don't have them at all. You are right about the fact that the army skins are too limited and a zeltbahn wearing skin would be nice though probably difficult to animate smoothly. I'm confused about what your point is Oldih, you say 'who cares' about the small details yet it's wrong for people to be interested in the big ones like the complete lack of camouflage and uniform variety? Lastly, the RO team said at some point that there would not be anymore player skins added, but the mod had more diverse uniforms including camo for both sides...so why shoot down the very aim of this thread while making your own suggestions for skins? :confused:

Upvote 0
I'm confused about what your point is Oldih, you say 'who cares' about the small details yet it's wrong for people to be interested in the big ones like the complete lack of camouflage and uniform variety? Lastly, the RO team said at some point that there would not be anymore player skins added, but the mod had more diverse uniforms including camo for both sides...so why shoot down the very aim of this thread while making your own suggestions for skins?

With 'small details' I mean something that most people don't care, like the fact we see 1940 german service uniform 'actively' in every soldier model even we are having year '44 or '45 ingame. And E.G. the shoulder straps we see on RO german player models are early\pre-war models, yet you still see them at every soldier on '42 onwards - and the list goes on. Not that they matter anything with the gameplay, but what is wrong - IS wrong. And when people begin to nitpick about something like that - they DO matter for the sake of historical accuracy\authencity.

Point is, most of people don't even notice something like that but instantly something else, like the fact we lack camouflages, is immediatly brought into attension. And with the camouflage fact people always bring WSS ideas in.

I do not know why devs dropped variety of skins we saw in the mod, but I am not the one to judge. If they don't want to have WSS ingame - then they don't. It sounds stupid by sake of historical accuracy, but is it really the end of the world? Same applies with NKVD.

Besides, that skin suggestion (or model to be more exact) would be a great hint for some modders. I have seen quite a many WSS skins around and they are quite nice - but what's up with the fact we don't see 'real' (aka something that was actually issued and used in greater amounts instead of just some special units) Heer camo at all? Sure it might be hard to animate so it doesn't look stupid (talking about Zeltbahn), but why not?

I really do not mean anything offensive, but almost half of the uniform discussion stuffs you see around here are related with camouflage. Not with the fact there are some _serious_ inaccuracies generally in the first place.

Sure, some german winter camo would be nice, but almost everything have been the same idea that add reversible parkas\anoraks. Ok, not bad idea, but talking for the sake of realism (and people often seem to be "for the sake of realism") axis models wearing a full anorak\parka should have speed and stamina nerfed about 25-33%. Ever tried wearing a full german WW2 model anorak\parka? I can say it is far from being comfortable to move in one, even though it is warm. Now add serivce belt, Y-straps, pouches, grenades, A-frame (if you are a rifleman; talking about early war idea), your breadpack, Zeltbahn, A-frame bag, the BW pack (or what it is called, can't remember), shovel, bayonet and possibly some other small unnecessary crap like that from combs to rifle cleaning sets and sweater and such. Now, with all that gear on - even if it is correctly set (and it is comfortable then) - you do have quite problem moving around with that full anorak\parka.

Now let's add the idea that we have HMG team, and we have asst. gunner carrying the tripod. Real MG42 tripod weights about 25kg. Now, let's add the fact we would carry the tripod as they instruct to. Sure it works, but you can't go prone properly with that. Even when you carry it the 'incorrect' way (which is more comfortable) you can't still go prone properly. Now, let's add full anorak and heavy snowfall to our asst. gunner. Let's run about one hundred yards. Now, wasn't that fun? Too bad we just don't have HMG teams in RO.

Greatcoat with some blankets would be simple and still realistic idea. Or just a reversible parka jacket. Or trousers.

People often wants something that looks cool and such. Sure anorak\parka is cool, especially full one, but it is quite unpractical to wear one in thick combat . Come on, imagine a greatcoat covered with some white blankets. Doesn't look cool - but it works. Besides, even the splittertarn helmet camo is reversable; the other side is white. So if you own one - just reverse it and put it to your helmet. Voilah, you have now winter helmet camo.

And if you find some blankets or have somethign to spare, just make few holes and put it above your greatcoat. Now, as simple as it is it works as some kind of winter camo - but it doesn't look cool.

And sure, WSS would be nice by the sake of historical accuracy and they had tarnjackes generally issued to almost everyone - and the fact WSS is _elite_. Ok, NKVD has pretty much the same thing with their own nice ideas. I am not against the idea, but AFAIK they are not going to be added officially. So concentrating adding something that could work with the current skins and models would be more ideal - and possibly some hint for modders.

Upvote 0
Some good points there, I'm all for accuracy and details, as well as enhancing the army skins and not *just* adding camo smocks. I will point out though that even late in the war many soldiers preferred to keep their earlier uniforms (M40s) over the newer ones (M43s) apparently for style reasons--don't ask me why they just did. That and not everyone was able to be issued the new uniforms especially when they were on the front many hundreds of miles away from their homeland. There is some immersion lost seeing 1940 getups in Berlin 1945--one way or the other some attention for player skins in a future patch would be most welcome by many I am sure. The tanks have gotten it, why not uniforms.

Upvote 0
That and not everyone was able to be issued the new uniforms especially when they were on the front many hundreds of miles away from their homeland. There is some immersion lost seeing 1940 getups in Berlin 1945--one way or the other some attention for player skins in a future patch would be most welcome by many I am sure. The tanks have gotten it, why not uniforms.

I know that it isn't impossible to have early war uniforms or gear in late war, but I wonder why everyone do have the same old uniforms, even if the unit itself might be supplied with lots of newer ones or was entirely newformed in '43 - '44? ;)

And even in those cases there were some situations you didn't get exactly the most newest uniform, but generally speaking it is silly that everyone has same old uniforms all the time.

Edit: Sure 'veteran' units might have worn same old uniforms throughout the entire war (I have seen a photo dated late '44 where a german guy wears M36 jacket atleast), but reinforcements and any reformed or newformed units were usually issued with the 'newer' ones - unless if there was some problems with supplyment.

Good example about that "standardisity" failing is A-frame. It was said in the field manual and generally ordered to riflemen to wear A-frame, but in 1944 seeing a A-frame in back of a rifleman was quite a rare sight. Reason for this was that they would rather carry 'too much' crap in their tornisters than 'too few' in A-frame.

And in 1945 you could say that practically A-frames were... well, in the brink of extinction :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well right now, Russians have 2 and Germans only one uniform.

Oh, the humanity. You set out to conquer the world, get beaten and 60 years later nobody can even remember what you were wearing.

Perhaps there's a lesson in that?

Your haberdashers should be better men than your nuclear physicists if you expect to be remembered as well as Oppenheimer in his big white hat.

Upvote 0
What?

And the germans need winter camo period. It's pretty ridiculous when it's mentioned as "something we wanted but didn't have time for...." and nearly a year and a quarter later nothing has been done. If TWI can't make it, there are plenty of skinners around; why not just package it on steam and send it over?

Although more unis would be nice, winter uniforms for the Germans are the most pressing issue.

Upvote 0
Edit: Sure 'veteran' units might have worn same old uniforms throughout the entire war (I have seen a photo dated late '44 where a german guy wears M36 jacket atleast), but reinforcements and any reformed or newformed units were usually issued with the 'newer' ones - unless if there was some problems with supplyment.

Well, i think i read somewhere that early war uniforms were of better quality and made out of better material. The material for the newer uniforms was a lot more coarse and uncomfortable

But for the sake of realism and overall immersion I would like to see some different uniforms and variations whether they be Heer, SS, Gebirsjager, or (MAYBE, BIG MAYBE) Fallschirmjager. As for the Russians, proper winter camo (think those big puffy jackets and overcoats), definatly M43-tunics, some russian camo for snipers etc. and naval-infantry

I know this is too much to ask from the devs. Hopefully we will see some nice new uniforms in the mods!

Upvote 0