• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Infantry Server Idea

Cire

Jul 2, 2007
First off, this is posted in the "Level Design" section because it mainly deals with changing all the current maps.

I'm mainly looking for feedback (if there's enough positive feedback, I may continue with changing the maps and even renting a dedicated server to host them). So, if you like this idea and think you would play on the server, then please post so I know there's interest.

My idea is simple. I want to remove all vehicles, every grenade, and all the roles except riflemen in every TW map (this includes the huge tank maps... Arad, Barashka, etc...). For the larger tank maps, I'll probably take out a few objectives like the two fields in Arad, so that all the fighting is concentrated in a few areas.

I'm thinking the server will be a 16-20 player slot. This seems like a good number, there won't be too many people on the current smaller infantry maps and there will be enough players that the larger maps will see plenty of Bolt on Bolt action.

What do you guys think? Would you play a Bolt only server (no grenades/vehicles)?

Thank you, and I look forward to any comments/ideas.

Edit: Server now online!

Last edited:
Sure, if the mutators were able to adjust balance within the maps. Since the current tank maps are balanced with the use of tanks, removing those will mean the maps will need to be tweaked in other areas. Not to mention the removal of some of the objectives that wouldn't be needed for infantry only...

Upvote 0
My idea is simple. I want to remove all vehicles, every grenade, and all the roles except riflemen in every TW map (this includes the huge tank maps... Arad, Barashka, etc...). For the larger tank maps, I'll probably take out a few objectives like the two fields in Arad, so that all the fighting is concentrated in a few areas.

What do you guys think? Would you play a Bolt only server (no grenades/vehicles)?

Thank you, and I look forward to any comments/ideas.
I'm looking forward to having an infantry version of Arad.

But only bolt would kill it.

Yes, I love rifle, but having only riflemen would be boring to death as most bolt only servers.
They are good for a while, but after, they start lacking very quickly.

Upvote 0
The server is no longer going to host all the maps converted to bolts only. Instead, I'm going to just focus on the larger tank maps.

First up is Arad.

Loadouts:
Allies: 1 commander (SVT40), 1 anti-tank (PTRD), and 6 riflemen (MN9130/M38)
Axis: 1 commander (G43), 1 anti-tank (PTRD), and 6 riflemen (Kar98k)

Objectives:
North Village
South Village
Central Bridge

Vehicles (Only Spawn in the Second Spawning area):
Allies: 1 Universal Carrier (possibly 2 since they carry less than the half-track)
Axis: 1 Half-track

Spawns:
Allies: Forward Spawn (North Village) Second Spawn (same as current)
Axis: Forward Spawn (South Village) Second Spawn (same as current)

Other changes to follow after the above work is done:
Opening all the buildings
Possibly adding real forests next to the villages
Further ideas to come...

Upvote 0
Man, you know fun :/

please let me know if people play that, then we dont have to go through the efforts creating special infantry maps, we just do tank maps and change the classes.

on a serious note, Arad is so far from an Infantry map, as fishes are from flying to the moon.
Of course you _can_ play it inf only, but its not intended that way. Even with the transporters its basically down to: drive drive drive, shoot, dead, repeat.

As for adding "real forrest", some things you should consider...
Lets assume you use the medium tricount trees (~500 triangles), and you want to create "real forrests" next to both villages. This would include you take out the AntiPortals and BSPs inside, which probably leads to increased tri count by, only guessing, around ~40000, not talking about the net relevance of the players and vehicles that can know be seen from almost the whole map. (I admit without the tanks its easier). Back to the forrests.
How many trees you want to put in the forrest? 100? On both villages, thats 200*500 = 100k tris which can be seen from one spawn to the other. Additionally the now not occluded 40k i estimated above, 140k tris more. To that come opened up buildings, more visible terrain triangles, etc...

Not trying to put you down, just some things you should consider before taking on the huge project of placing so many trees :)

Upvote 0
I don't think at this point making the forests "real" is needed. I also don't think I'll be opening the rest of the buildings either. Doing that will just create more close quarters fighting which defeats the purpose of having an infantry version of Arad in the first place. The current version up and running seems to be just about perfect for bolt fighting.

I had some of the guys from CoreNA provide great feedback the other day. Per their suggestions, transports were taken back out and the spawns have moved closer to the objectives. I'd say you don't have to run any further than on Odessa now.

The real action is at round start with the forward spawns being almost near the Central Bridge objective. One thing I may still tweak is the capture time for the bridge. I might make it take a good minute to capture, forcing a team to actually stay in one spot and defend before advancing to the opposing village.

Upvote 0
Man, you know fun :/

please let me know if people play that, then we dont have to go through the efforts creating special infantry maps, we just do tank maps and change the classes.

Thanks for the feedback. You said to let you know if people play it. I held the first "of many to come" weekly game nights last week and it turns out, a few people did enjoy it. Since that time, I've tweaked the spawns a little more to cut down on running distances. Before you make up your mind and blow the idea off, come by tomorrow night and give it a try yourself.

Server Name:
=db=[Rifles Only Server] RO-Ostfront-Gewehr

Server IP:
63.209.32.207:7757

Weekly Game Night: Thursdays
7:00pm (GMT -08:00) US Pacific
8:00pm (GMT -07:00) US Mountain
9:00pm (GMT -06:00) US Central
10:00pm (GMT -05:00) US Eastern

Features:
No Vehicles
No Fragmentation Grenades
Riflemen Classes Only
Blackout on Death (1st Person Spectate Only)
No Death Messages (Only Personal Deaths)
No Friendly Tags (Only Visible within 6-8 Feet)
Hiden Scores (Alpha Sorted)

Roles and Weapons:
Axis Commander (1) G41 and G43 (Semi Auto Rifles) / P08 and P38 (Pistols) / Nb. 39 (Smoke Grenades)
Axis Riflemen (7) Kar98 (Bolt Rifle) / P08 and P38 (Pistols)
Allie Commander (1) SVT40 (Semi Auto Rifle) / TT33 (Pistol) / RDG-1 (Smoke Grenades)
Allie Riflemen (7) MN9130, M38, and M44 (Bolt Rifles) / TT33 (Pistol)

Last edited:
Upvote 0