• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

random civilians in the game

Pretty often by the time the conflict really got in some (urban) place most of the civilians were either evacuated, have fled themselves or possibly hid in some place E.G. air-raid shelter or something.

You don't see kids playing around in a house when there's squad of Soviets shooting germans few metres away. And you don't see their parents happily cooking around when the house is occupied by E.G. Soviet 'squad'.

And you won't see kids playing around outside in middle of a firefight happily like that. Adding random civilian NPCs might be 'good' idea, but practically it just fights against the common sense and many people are like "wtf why they haven't fled?"

Upvote 0
in americas army you have civilians, they are hiding in corners or running away etc... but if you shoot them its considered a TK. but it ads alot to the war atmosfere

AA isn't about war. It is modern conflict in civilian locations. There aren't divisions about to crash into each other like in WWII. Most civilians in WWII were evacuated or hid in cellars and the like so it was very unlikely to see any.

Upvote 0
Cows would be awesome, they'd be the defenders mobile barricade! Seriously though, I think that it would be nice for there to be some domestic animals in game (not dogs or anything, more like farm animals) as I'm doubting that a fleeing family would be able to bring along a cow or other types of farm animals. The whole civilian populatiion outside in a combat zone seems kind of stupid to me, but the idea that was put out earlier of hearing hushed speaking from behind doors and such seems believable to me.

Upvote 0
i think adding NPC's would improve the feel of the game but they shouldnt be randomly running all over around the map. they have to fit in the map, some maps it would make no sense, but on alot of maps civilians would be there, old people ,wounded people, very poor people ,children with dead parents hiding next to their bodies.

Maybe having them in groups huddling together in rooms,and or bind a few of them to the buildings so they randomly sneak about the building, also when you get near them they beg you for help, food, transport out of the war zone, make some NPC'S insistant so you have to smack them around a bit or hit resupply key, so they go away :D

If you kill them you get negative point , if you resupply them you get a point, max of lets say 5 NPC points to avoid exploits.

Look at the stats on civilian casualties and soldiers
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/ww2stats.htm

Russians about 17 m civilians and 7m soldiers
Germany about 3.5 m civilians and 4.5 million soldiers

Seems being a russian soldier you would be seeing 2 dead civilians for every soldier that died, and germany almost equal 1 to 1.

So its true that alot of maps wouldnt have many civilians, but obviously on some of these historical reinactment maps, there were a hell of alot of civilians dieing. I could see liningrad with alot of civilians in the buildings, cellars and tunnels. Have them begging the russian's for help, and have them smack the germans(minimal dmg) when Germans turn their backs on them :D

Upvote 0
i think adding NPC's would improve the feel of the game but they shouldnt be randomly running all over around the map. they have to fit in the map, some maps it would make no sense, but on alot of maps civilians would be there, old people ,wounded people, very poor people ,children with dead parents hiding next to their bodies.

That's where I would draw the line if there were npc's ingame, and I'm sure most would agree. I don't want to see some kid kneeling next to his parents crying because some random player shot there parents without a second thought. That is just a bad idea implementing children into a game where there is a way to kill them.

Also, wouldn't there have to be an entirely new AI scheme adopted as they are not going to go out and fight, just sit and do whatever (crying for example, which would involve new animations, models and skins for the character's, and new sound)? It seems like just a bit to much work for only a bit more immersion, and I have a feeling that they are busy with another game at this point in time :p.

Upvote 0
Russians about 17 m civilians and 7m soldiers
Germany about 3.5 m civilians and 4.5 million soldiers

Seems being a russian soldier you would be seeing 2 dead civilians for every soldier that died, and germany almost equal 1 to 1.

Get your countries right. That's 17 million *Soviet* civilians, not Russians. Big difference. The Nazis systematically massacred millions of "partisans" in Belarus and Ukraine. They were partisans because they were the friend of a guy who's brother's uncle's cousin owned a hunting rifle. Or was Jewish. Or was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. And no, it's not funny, topical, interesting, or appropriate to add this to the game.

Upvote 0
I think it was relatively rare that civilians were running on the battlefield. Sure lots of civiliand were killed in the war but probably most of them due to starvation, air raids, diseases or murdered by 2nd line troops and paramilitary and partisan forces - not in the front line battles that are represented in the game. Also it would require a very good AI so that the civilians would behave naturally and not for example sit on their asses in a building that is being fought over or running straight into MG fire. Probably most of the time players would be cursing why those brainless zombies are blocking doorways, getting themselves killed in stupid ways etc.

Upvote 0